Light levels for different stages

Gaijin

Morning folks :) 

It's occurring to me as I hang around here more and more, that I don't really have a clue how much light my seedlings are taking right now. They seem happy enough.

Same in the big tent; I don't really know what the canopy is getting. Could they be taking more light and still be happy? There's got to be a suggested or recommended amount for a given growth stage. I think 

Is there a chart out there, or does someone have one, that gives an idea of ppfd? Dli? An idea of what insert unit here a plant should be getting at different life stages. 

I've got the photone app and can presumably find a piece of paper to act as a diffuser. Wouldn't it be handy if someone else with the app had already made a chart :wassnnme::D 

I've also got one of those UNI-T light meters which I need to unbox at some point. I think I have the video bookmarked so I can do the conversion.

But I don't know how much of which measurement unit a plant needs from seedling through to the end. 

I've got through the first grow and this one eyeballing the plant and pretty much guessing on light height and intensity. I figured I should get a bit more serious about it. Maybe :D 

Any help here would be appreciated, as always, thank you :) 

• Like 4

I’m like yourself at the moment @Gaijin. I try to follow ppfd recommendations but I’m not having much luck. I’m wondering it Genetics have a bearing. Some are doing better than others. I rotate, tried fucking with EC and ppfd. Fuck em. Contrary little shits. If I wasnt testing them they’d be in the bin by now. No room under my roof for mard arses.

• Like 4

Get the Uni-T out, don't bother with the app, chuck some AAA batteries in and divide the number by .017 to get a very accurate PAR reading. I'm using mine to save electricity and keep the cabinet as cool as possible.

• Like 4

Just now, Slippy One said:

Get the Uni-T out, don't bother with the app, chuck some AAA batteries in and divide the number by .017 to get a very accurate PAR reading. I'm using mine to save electricity and keep the cabinet as cool as possible.

Would I measure in LUX or Foot Candles? They seem to be the only two unit options. Thanks :) 

@mikeydoughnut I'm not really sure at all that I need to do anything, mate lol I just feel like I need to learn more about this light stuff. 

Just now, Fatboy77 said:

You got the right idea imo.  

Eyeballing the plants is all I do, fuck growing by numbers.

What's good fer one isn't necessarily good for two.

If you grow the same cut a few times you can really start to dial her in, but other girls won't dance to the same tune.

Yeah I agree, you wouldn't have a set number in ind for a set age, etc ... regardless of strain. Wouldn't work. Or not very well anyway. Eyeballs seem to be a good place to start. I'm curious to see if my eyeballs are dialled in right lol 

• Like 3

Just now, Gaijin said:

Would I measure in LUX or Foot Candles?

LUX. And keep an eye out for the small 'x10' in the corner...

• Like 3

If it's divide my cupboard is currently at 2.7 million, or multiplied it's 800.

The reading on my UNI-T is about 47000 LUX. (It displays 4700 x10)

• Like 2

Just now, Woozy said:

Dr. Bruce Bugbee says he starts seedlings at 1,000

Is that right? I can't watch the video right now but that sounds very high?

• Like 2

large.IMG_3359.jpeglarge.IMG_3360.jpegHere’s my take on light levels, stems should be nice and green, redness to the stems indicate that light intensity is to high. 
Our lights are the driving factor, we want nice squat plants with tight growth, we keep our lamps low, grow room too cold “ turn up your lights to increase temps”…..the red streaking an the image above was from the lamp to close to the plant, biological I haven’t a clue what’s happening, but this is what I have closely observed 

• Like 3

Def this @mikeydoughnut 

30 minutes ago, mikeydoughnut said:

I’m wondering it Genetics have a bearing. Some are doing better than others.

If you try the CB or the Psycho x @Gaijin you’ll be even more confused mate, really is an eye opener as what is doable depending on the stock.

• Like 3

Re: the Photone app

have you seen the light calculator that’s included? 

Click on the ‘I’ in the top left of the screen and scroll down to plant light calculator 

if you have seen it, I’ll shut up lol 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gaijin said:

photone app

Ive been berated on reddit for using that app. Allegedly it only works on iPhones..
I then discovered one of Migro's videos talking about a PPFD app that is a bit more accurate (98%) but was berated for that too. I used it in the past and it worked fine. Not sure how accurate it was though.

On another note, during the podcast with Shane from MIGRO, Dr. Bugbee mentions that in order for the plants to manage higher intensities, they need to be started in higher intensities. But that would also mean that certain other criteria need to also be adjusted in order to support the light NOT being the limiting factor anymore.

• Like 3