Photoperiods vers autoflower for outdoors

Celtic voyager

Going by my limited experience of growing autos outdoors this year and last, I would make the following comments.

Nearly every auto strain I grew had at least some rot or mould. Except for four strains this year: Short Term Amnesia, RK62 Auto, Auto Bubblelicious, and Auto Duck. All were grown outside with no shelter, except the Auto Bubblelicious which was in a polytunnel greenhouse. None had any rot or mould whatsoever. However I grew Auto Duck in the polytunnel last year and lost much of the crop to rot. That strain seems to be happier outside in the rain. This year ventilation was better in the polytunnel which may have helped... :) 

I also have a bunch of semi-autos, fast and early versions, and full season photos growing just now. We'll see how they get on, but it makes sense to spread the risk and have a range of different cultivars: autos, photos, and various types in-between.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, brock1 said:

I believe that @Crow River is doing a repro on some old Welsh heirlooms soon to.

I'll be onto that as soon as I've moved my indoor grow setup. Most likely next month start.....in the meantime, I'm planning it out. :yep:

• Like 1

Auto Dosidos from Panic-unbelievably hardy auto, had 2 out early, , both down at about 100 days from seed for main chop, another 2 weeks for the lower parts, about 5 or 6 grape size buds lost to mold(basically nothing). Definitely my go to auto in future. 

• Like 3

Last year it was the autos that won this title, this year is very different however.  After not visiting for four weeks, it was time to go and see what was left of them on Saturday, so whilst walking to the plot, it was a case of mentally preparing and thinking that anything harvested would be a bonus and expecting a lot of rot.  Well, I wasn't far wrong really.  Managed to harvest a nearly rot free Bluetooth as well as a Purple Affie, rescued some amnesia from a rot hit plant and chopped and chucked a couple of fully rotted dosidos plants, which I think suffered as they stayed small and we're nearer ground level.  Left an OG Kush - Lem og Hack that is amazingly staying rot free and is about two weeks away and had a tidy up the semi autos and photos giving them a top dress feed including some SOP.  Last year's autos overwhelmed my sealed dry set up they were so good. I had to dry under a tarp in thick willows in a heat wave, and some were well over two Oz plants.  This year's are barely raising the humidity in there the harvest is so small, though only had half the number out this year. A couple of new strains to try and not a total loss so can't complain given the weather up here throughout July and also proof and a good test for rgsc autos in a really shit final month weather wise.  Hoping the photos get their shit together and start growing some blooms now, one was about two weeks in and the rest look keen given some sunshine. 

Edited by Clean Green
Trying to post before morning brew
  • Like 6

• 4 months later...

@CustardVape

Sorry for the late reply.

All my autos next season will be Sweet Seeds, I got a pack of mix auto seeds, so should be interesting to see what pops up.

Also I got cream caramel and SAD, fems, going to run them, along side the autos.

• Like 2

Autos for the win if above lat 52 imo. The weather at 53 upwards in September can be very different to 51 where I used to grow. Early photoperiods do better further south and the autos do very well up North. So well I'm growing at least 25 this summer of trusty autos and providing they withstand animals and slugs I'd be getting at least 25 oz off those. Auto Euforia and slims autos etc

• Like 2

large.Resizer_16906347817041.jpeg

On 05/08/2023 at 6:18 PM, Lux_Interior said:

This year, I have grown an auto flower outside for the first time in the UK at Latitude 52°. I also grew a few regular females but the auto is doing best IMHO.

large.36667136-23eb-4052-9c59-243007ed0e58.jpg

I got the plants outside in May as soon as possible and the weather allowed.

In the UK go with Indica strains, they have a short flowering period and withstand the cooler temperatures (Kush Mountains). Afghani #1 sounds good.

Going to have to disagree with going with indica varieties outdoor in the UK. Fast sativas like Durban, easy Sativa, ect have always proven more mould resistant than most fast flowering indica strains for me. Its not about having a short flowering strain i find also. Most important things are photosensitive hours & internode spacing i find with outdoor strains. Sativa indica hybrids are were the real gems are imoa.

Here a bud from my outdoor. Only mould was from the plants left out wich didn't mould till the beginning of this month. 

Edited by brock1
  • Like 2