What has been your experience with early versions?

childofmelee

23 minutes ago, childofmelee said:

Fast versions and Early versions are the same thing, just different marketing names.  I believe semi autos is also another name for  fast/early versions, just to add to the confusion.  

Dunno about that.

I've got a Fast cultivar that definitely has ruderalis in it, started flowering in June and will most likely finish sometime in August. Breeder info does say it's a semi-auto though. Full autos all finished this month, except for one (Sativa dominant) which is still going. I also have some Fast strains that are not yet flowering, or just at an early stage. Meanwhile the Early strain I have hasn't started flowering yet, but breeder info says when it does, it will have a short flowering period compared to the typical 8 weeks for a full season cultivar.

I'm also aware of other strains that start flowering very early but do not have ruderalis in the mix. For example some of the Danish or Canadian cultivars. Presumably just selected for early flowering over several generations.

34 minutes ago, Crow River said:

Dunno about that.

I've got a Fast cultivar that definitely has ruderalis in it, started flowering in June and will most likely finish sometime in August. Breeder info does say it's a semi-auto though. Full autos all finished this month, except for one (Sativa dominant) which is still going. I also have some Fast strains that are not yet flowering, or just at an early stage. Meanwhile the Early strain I have hasn't started flowering yet, but breeder info says when it does, it will have a short flowering period compared to the typical 8 weeks for a full season cultivar.

I'm also aware of other strains that start flowering very early but do not have ruderalis in the mix. For example some of the Danish or Canadian cultivars. Presumably just selected for early flowering over several generations.

It would be a game changer for me if early versions did start flowering early but as far as I know if a plant isn't an auto then it is photoperiod sensitive and relies on shortening of daylight hours.

I'll contact the breeders and see what they say and let you know.  

• Like 1

Aa far as I am concerned semi auto's, & fast versions are 2 totally different thing's but it appears some people think their the same. 

• Like 2

Just now, brock1 said:

Aa far as I am concerned semi auto's, & fast versions are 2 totally different thing's but it appears some people think their the same. 

Do semi auto's rely on the reduction of daylight hours (like photoperiods) or are semi autos day neutral (like autos)?

Haha this debate again for the ten millionth time 

From what I remember I first saw the term Early used for Early Girl , Early Pearl & Early Skunk … in the Sensi Seed bank catalog way back before the internet was a thing… 

Don’t think they had Ruderalis in those. They were just ‘Early’ flowering photoperiods… i grew Early Skunk from Sensi seeds outdoors way back .. it didn’t finish for me .. so not ‘Early’ enough 

they did offer Ruderalis Skunk and Ruderalis Indica .. never tried them 

i only found out about the term Semi auto and Fast version category since stumbling upon this site 

ah I use to drool at my Sensi Seed bank catalog .. now I’m living it 

agree with Uber about the Green Poison FV. Tho I’m a fan of Tropicana Poison Fv. Got a few of those out again. Gorrilla Girl Fv pretty good.. few others on this site like the Killer Kush Fv. I  grew Red Mandarine Fv, impressive looking and early but a bit too weak for me so took it off the list this year … Yes the Sweet Seeds Fast Versions have an auto in them 

The old Early, Semi auto, Fast version debate .. never gets old 

throw UEL in there for a wild card 

Ha ha, this made me smile.  I had Early Girl back in the day.  Grew me some 6 foot tall christmas trees that indicated but never flowered.  I chopped them down in the September. Presumably they would have flowered if the weather had stayed warm until December!

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Erbman T said:

Haha this debate again for the ten millionth time 

From what I remember I first saw the term Early used for Early Girl , Early Pearl & Early Skunk … in the Sensi Seed bank catalog way back before the internet was a thing… 

Don’t think they had Ruderalis in those. They were just ‘Early’ flowering photoperiods… i grew Early Skunk from Sensi seeds outdoors way back .. it didn’t finish for me .. so not ‘Early’ enough 

they did offer Ruderalis Skunk and Ruderalis Indica .. never tried them 

i only found out about the term Semi auto and Fast version category since stumbling upon this site 

ah I use to drool at my Sensi Seed bank catalog .. now I’m living it 

agree with Uber about the Green Poison FV. Tho I’m a fan of Tropicana Poison Fv. Got a few of those out again. Gorrilla Girl Fv pretty good.. few others on this site like the Killer Kush Fv. I  grew Red Mandarine Fv, impressive looking and early but a bit too weak for me so took it off the list this year … Yes the Sweet Seeds Fast Versions have an auto in them 

The old Early, Semi auto, Fast version debate .. never gets old 

throw UEL in there for a wild card 

What is UEL?

2 minutes ago, Erbman T said:

A strain called Ultra Early Love 

That's a fast/early version.  Finishes flowering in 6-7 weeks. 

As I understand it autos have a short vegging time and normal flowering time.  Fast/early versions have a normal vegging time but fast flowering time.

Edited by childofmelee
  • Like 1

Now I am a big Green Gold fan (RGSC)  … jus checked doesn’t say Semi auto on the site .. but it’s defo very early 

Also ran … 

Whitey Freeze, Royal Mazar, Exo Gold, DFG & Mighty Gold from them to..

which all flower pretty Early, some of them being classed ‘Semi auto’  … 

Whitey Freeze being the earliest. Royal Mazar and Green Gold next earliest. Then Exo Gold slightly behind the Green Gold, and then DFG Bx1 & Mighy Gold Bx1 next

thats the order they did for me …

Jobs a goodun 

• Like 1

UEL is something else .. I’m still learning it’s ways 

think professor Slim says it’s Semi Auto Category 

• Like 1

Just now, Erbman T said:

Now I am a big Green Gold fan (RGSC)  … jus checked doesn’t say Semi auto on the site .. but it’s defo very early 

Also ran … 

Whitey Freeze, Royal Mazar, Exo Gold, DFG & Mighty Gold from them to..

which all flower pretty Early, some of them being classed ‘Semi auto’  … 

Whitey Freeze being the earliest. Royal Mazar and Green Gold next earliest. Then Exo Gold slightly behind the Green Gold, and then DFG Bx1 & Mighy Gold Bx1 next

thats the order they did for me …

Jobs a goodun 

Just to add to the confusion, panik (I think?) insists on calling fast versions - semi autos.  

Edited by childofmelee

Just now, Erbman T said:

UEL is something else .. I’m still learning it’s ways 

think professor Slim says it’s Semi Auto Category 

Or maybe it is Amarillo slim that insists semi autos is the correct name for fast versions, either him or panik said it.