Best outdoor photoperiod strain for UK climate?

childofmelee

8 hours ago, OldFord said:

lol   No fast versions here !!       Did a fair bit of FV testing and no thanks.        Look back through the randon thread ,  i have voiced my FV opinions in the past.  

Its not all bad ,  some seem better than others. 

And so you have voiced your opinion on fast versions in the past. Good information to know, I'd prefer not having to learn that lesson myself, learning from other peoples experience makes my life easier.  Cheers:)  

9 hours ago, Crow River said:

I'm coastal too, further north than @brock1, and two of my plots are near the water. In a rain shadow supposedly, though difficult to believe this summer! :D We get the mist (or haar as it's known) rolling in off the sea after a hot sunny day. Snow lying in winter is very rare unless it's super cold, which it hardly ever is.

Haven't harvested your Joshua yet, but it's a tough old strain! Very impressed. To anyone reading, you won't go far wrong with @brock1's seeds, and they're mostly fems too, which is a nice bonus.

So far with this season's outdoor autos, only strains with zero mould or rot were Nirvana's Auto Bubblelicious (in a polytunnel) and Soviet Finland's RK62 and Short Term Amnesia (outside in pouring rain during flower). All the others had at least some small bits of rot or mildew when harvested. 

I'll let you know how the semi-autos, fasts, earlies and full season girls get on in due course...

Bummer getting mould on auto's because their not the biggest yeilding plant's outdoor to start with. Sounds like the same environment your growing in that I grow little horrible micro climate. I moved 7 mile up the road & it was like growing in paradise but to be fair I missed the challenges I face growing here. Did I chuck you some auto's in with the Welsh heirloom seeds? Pretty confident these will give you zero mould problems. Only real problem i have is saw fly larvae caterpillers eating buds. I have noticed a lot around my auto's the last few day's & these have me on edge. There's nothing you can do to deter these horrible little things. Atleast if their is I haven't found it yet :furious:

• Like 2

@brock1, it was only a wee bit of rot on a few lower buds, but it's been really wet weather the past three weeks or more. Desert conditions in June before that, and wet and cold in May, so the autos had it pretty tough. As a result, they didn't get very big and yield suffered. But hey, them's the breaks outdoors. :) Further inland here they don't get the haar but they do get cold, snowy winters. Pretty much typical East Coast climate variation...

No autos in the pack mate, but I think I have most of your recent subbie releases, well from the past year or so anyway. :yep:

I've had some caterpillars eating fan leaves, slugs and snails, but nowt eating the buds (except me :D ) - at least not yet. :unsure:

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 15/07/2023 at 18:03, OldFord said:

Sweets SAD is outstanding and PISSED all over the Eleven Roses on a garden run , in her bud quality  and reliability.    Bud structure is medium and NEVER lost a single bud over a decades worth of garden and GG runs with 3 or 5 a year.  Well cooked and its a heavy hitter with sublime terp / taste profile  Highly impressed by it and Cream Caramel.     

MWF i believe Slim has a few bits in motion , you would need to ask nicely.     GLZ comes up massive , awesome outdoor structure and just a wicked plant

Just finished harvesting.  Sweet SAD's molded up badly, Eleven Roses only had some small spots of mold.  

I'm guessing we are in very different climates, the humidity and rain here in my region of NZ towards the end of flowering is ruthless.

• Like 2

Sounds a bit like up here lol 

This is where autos come into play :) 

Get them done and harvested when the weather is still good :thumsup:

Atb

☯️

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Shumroom said:

Sounds a bit like up here lol 

This is where autos come into play :) 

Get them done and harvested when the weather is still good :thumsup:

Atb

☯️

I know you guys in the UK are right into autos and I can understand why. 

I tried germinating 30 autos this season but only one popped and that died shortly after. That was enough to convince me not to mess with autos again.

Edited by childofmelee

40 minutes ago, childofmelee said:

I know you guys in the UK are right into autos and I can understand why. 

I tried germinating 30 autos this season but only one popped and that died shortly after. That was enough to convince me not to mess with autos again.

If you tried to germinate 30 seeds and nothing popped up and lived then there is something intrinsically wrong with the germination method and/or seeds. I'd expect at least a 75% success rate.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lux_Interior said:

If you tried to germinate 30 seeds and nothing popped up and lived then there is something intrinsically wrong with the germination method and/or seeds. I'd expect at least a 75% success rate.

I germinated photoperiods from the same seedbank under the same conditions with about a 80% success rate. 

The germination did take place under less than ideal conditions and maybe the autos are just more fragile.

Got to be honest, normally get 99-100% germ rate with viable auto beans, no different from photos. 

large.P1010517.JPG.81623397f508bb09ef36233d38aa8732.JPGlarge.P1010776.JPG.a574843ba28ee7289357b382852f9e9a.JPGlarge.P1010769.JPG.145da6678088949c4fb4e41b56df420b.JPGlarge.P1010777.JPG.08b1a1dd0d79c2f6c1c98a1fa143ff9a.JPG

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Ch@ppers said:

Got to be honest, normally get 99-100% germ rate with viable auto beans, no different from photos. 

large.P1010517.JPG.81623397f508bb09ef36233d38aa8732.JPGlarge.P1010776.JPG.a574843ba28ee7289357b382852f9e9a.JPG

large.P1010769.JPG.145da6678088949c4fb4e41b56df420b.JPGlarge.P1010777.JPG.08b1a1dd0d79c2f6c1c98a1fa143ff9a.JPG

That's a nice big field of plants, what strain is that? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, childofmelee said:

That's a nice big field of plants, what strain is that? 

Auto amnesia mainly mate. 

• Like 2

On 09/04/2024 at 05:14, childofmelee said:

The germination did take place under less than ideal conditions and maybe the autos are just more fragile.

Auto seeds being less likely to germinate is not something I have noticed or heard about before.

Environment is always the key with gardening.

• Like 2

On 18/07/2023 at 00:58, brock1 said:

There's nothing you can do to deter these horrible little things. Atleast if their is I haven't found it yet 

Have you tried spraying with Bacillus thuringiensis?

It works for me later in the year when I get a similar issue with cunterpillars eating my buds.

• Like 1