Best outdoor photoperiod strain for UK climate?

childofmelee

2 hours ago, brock1 said:

I am not quite Newcastle but I have grow a little further north in the past just a little north of Carlisle & to be honest its more humid here than their. I live in a town built on a reclaimed salt Marsh I could literally catapult stones into the sea from a lot of my grow sites. We don't just contend with rain fall here we get a lot of coastal mist rolling in also. The ground here never really drys up or needs watering even with droughts. 

Killer daze is a F1 SHD / blackberry gum auto x killer skunk. Its a strange one this because its the fast version created to make a fast version :yes: a bit complicated really as the killer skunk is to bring down the flowering time of the SHD x blackberry gum auto. I am not into the whole F1 hybrid being called a fast version of the photo strain. Thats like saying the auto added nothing to the x so I refuse to call these crosses fast versions of anything. Its a slightly sativa hybrid but not greatly around 60% sativa 40% indica. The auto is for both mould resistant & photo sensitivity while the killer skunk is to reduce flowering time & give a bigger plant. 

If your wanting mould resistant strains go with one of my auto's as thats what their breed for. I think Orange Hazeberry Gum & SHD x blackberry gum S1 are the only ones available right now. Theirs a few people growing them on here now outdoor and a few pics in the subbie pic thread. Plenty of info if you do a quick search. I haven't had mould on a SHD for atleast 7yr now. I put a lot of time & effort into breeding mould resistant auto's after the so called mould resistant strains moulded up pretty bad here.

Okay thanks for the information and I'll take a look at those auto's. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 6:03 PM, OldFord said:

Beg to differ ... Super 61 is available in regs & fems and is rock solid outdoors, :yep:        Just looked at it this second on their site. 

I still had her out in November as i wasnt well enough to chop and she was solid :george:    Awesome outdoor girl !   

Sweets SAD is outstanding and PISSED all over the Eleven Roses on a garden run , in her bud quality  and reliability.    Bud structure is medium and NEVER lost a single bud over a decades worth of garden and GG runs with 3 or 5 a year.  Well cooked and its a heavy hitter with sublime terp / taste profile  Highly impressed by it and Cream Caramel.     

I am pretty fussy in respect of how well its cooked , i never take anything down until its well cooked mate ,  unless i see healthy quantity of ambers ... it stays up & out ,  always happy to run the risk of rot as its a good test of the genetics and lets fellow growers on here see how well it copes.   If i get a bit of rot the entire plant us in the bin.    Check my diaries :yep:

MWF i believe Slim has a few bits in motion , you would need to ask nicely.     GLZ comes up massive , awesome outdoor structure and just a wicked plant outdoors , i believe its the only outdoor plant to win Cream Of The Crop on here in a long long time if not the first.    Even if its regs its well worth the effort to get some and save for later just in case you get more room or want to get serious on outdoor growing / breeding / hacks  as the genetics could prove very useful. 

Also Brocks work is where you should look for bomb proof reliability outdoors  , you wont get a monster but you will get a girl you can pretty much count on to provide you very good quality outdoor bud , huge terp profile and almost shroom like effect if you just leave her to cook and not be in a hurry to get her down.     

I got no idea on the type of effect or traits your seeking mate so its a bit awkward to narrow the list down ,  but if you want reliability .. look no further :yep: 

What is the average yield you were getting with Sweet SAD?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, childofmelee said:

What is the average yield you were getting with Sweet SAD?

I have zero inteest in weight , never ever weigh a harvest mate.   Call her a medium cropper is best i can give.    

Whilst i think on it  , Also look at RGSC ErdPurpz ,  again shes the 1st this year to show her lady bits

• Like 2

@brock1i didn't realize u made outdoor strains I have not been around for 5 years I am subscribeing this week can't wait to give them ago mate greengrocer93

• Like 3

Just now, greengrocer93 said:

@brock1i didn't realize u made outdoor strains I have not been around for 5 years I am subscribeing this week can't wait to give them ago mate greengrocer93

All tortue tested ooooop North mate :yep:      Highly recommended :wub:     Get some !! lol      Zero complaints here over numerous runs of varying cultivars mate.   

• Like 3

8 hours ago, brock1 said:

I could literally catapult stones into the sea from a lot of my grow sites.

Would that make them OG strains? Do you think that being coastal makes a difference to your grows? I know lots of Scottish whisky distilleries claim that the salty air adds something to their brews. 

I like your methodology btw dude.  :hippy:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OldFord said:

I have zero inteest in weight , never ever weigh a harvest mate.   Call her a medium cropper is best i can give.    

Whilst i think on it  , Also look at RGSC ErdPurpz ,  again shes the 1st this year to show her lady bits

That's alright I didn't want the plants getting too big anyway, I don't enjoy bambooing up branches that can't hold the weight of their own buds, it's a lot of work.

8 OZ plants have to be bambooed up so I'm aiming for 4 - 5 OZ plants so hopefully SAD can do that.

I'll have a look at the ErdPurpz as well.

I see there is a fast version of SAD, you ever grown the fast version?

Edited by childofmelee
  • Like 1

@childofmelee  I've just purchased some used, tall mesh planters from a landscaping company for £6 each. They are a mesh cage inside a mesh cage and will provide 2 levels of support and protection for the plants. Only downside I can see is the restricted access to carry out any pruning. Going to use them on a GG next year. Hopefully, won't have to carry out any additional support work other than training the branches through the mesh.

large.64b4fd620b0e9_Screenshot2023-07-17at09_13_46.jpglarge.64b4fd5b03456_Screenshot2023-07-17at09_14_30.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arbre Medicinal said:

Would that make them OG strains? Do you think that being coastal makes a difference to your grows? I know lots of Scottish whisky distilleries claim that the salty air adds something to their brews. 

I like your methodology btw dude.  :hippy:

Growing on the coast increases the humidity in my experience so theirs something that makes them very mould resistant. Its a strange one to call really. In the winter here the snow very rarely lays yet only 2 miles inland it can or even up the coast it's will be over a feet deep. The town is built on a reclaimed salt Marsh so their probably a lot of salt in the ground here. Their was also a old chemical works here that produced a sulfuric brown mist over the town that made it stink of rotten eggs. This probably added sulfur ect to the ground. Now we know that the skunk smell as absolutely nothing to do with terpins but are the result of volatile sulfur compounds discovered in 2021. So this may help create a lauder skunk turp in the plant's. Sulfur is also known to help with mould problems in trust trees so possibly this also help. In my experience all I can say is most so called mould resistant plant mould pretty bad here until their breed a few generations :hippy:

• Like 4

I am not making no promises on this one but hopefully I can make more of these indoor over the winter.  Its not a early finisher but it flowers fast and is really hardy no auto genetics in these at all. I didn't create this 1 its sour cream from DNA genetics inbreed here by myself using my own selection. Its been grown all over the world. I shared it in 2009 & haven't touched it since I rate it better for extracts if I am honest. Its grows great here not much more I can say really. :hippy:gallery_73781_4410_23968.jpglarge.temporary_zps0abe8d65.jpglarge.post-1463-0-39679400-1493211156.jpglarge.temporary_zps5f0256cd.jpg

• Like 10

gallery_73781_4410_56734.jpggallery_73781_4410_6733.jpggallery_73781_4410_69002.jpghere is how she does indoor. Parents are sour diesel x G13 haze made by DNA genetics but discontinued 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, disco survivor said:

@childofmelee  I've just purchased some used, tall mesh planters from a landscaping company for £6 each. They are a mesh cage inside a mesh cage and will provide 2 levels of support and protection for the plants. Only downside I can see is the restricted access to carry out any pruning. Going to use them on a GG next year. Hopefully, won't have to carry out any additional support work other than training the branches through the mesh.

large.64b4fd620b0e9_Screenshot2023-07-17at09_13_46.jpglarge.64b4fd5b03456_Screenshot2023-07-17at09_14_30.jpg

Those mash cages look like they will get the job done but I'm hoping I can get away with not having to use anything.

Edited by childofmelee
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, childofmelee said:

I see there is a fast version of SAD, you ever grown the fast version?

lol   No fast versions here !!       Did a fair bit of FV testing and no thanks.        Look back through the randon thread ,  i have voiced my FV opinions in the past.  

Its not all bad ,  some seem better than others. 

Edited by OldFord
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, brock1 said:

here is how she does indoor. Parents are sour diesel x G13 haze made by DNA genetics but discontinued 

Lovely! I for one hope you find time this winter. :D 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brock1 said:

Growing on the coast increases the humidity in my experience so theirs something that makes them very mould resistant. Its a strange one to call really. In the winter here the snow very rarely lays yet only 2 miles inland it can or even up the coast it's will be over a feet deep.

I'm coastal too, further north than @brock1, and two of my plots are near the water. In a rain shadow supposedly, though difficult to believe this summer! :D We get the mist (or haar as it's known) rolling in off the sea after a hot sunny day. Snow lying in winter is very rare unless it's super cold, which it hardly ever is.

Haven't harvested your Joshua yet, but it's a tough old strain! Very impressed. To anyone reading, you won't go far wrong with @brock1's seeds, and they're mostly fems too, which is a nice bonus.

So far with this season's outdoor autos, only strains with zero mould or rot were Nirvana's Auto Bubblelicious (in a polytunnel) and Soviet Finland's RK62 and Short Term Amnesia (outside in pouring rain during flower). All the others had at least some small bits of rot or mildew when harvested. 

I'll let you know how the semi-autos, fasts, earlies and full season girls get on in due course...

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 1