Anyone done a "plant and leave" (Plant out and only come back at harvest time)?

childofmelee

Anyone put a bunch of plants out, gave them a bit of fertilizer and only come back when it is harvest time?

If so, did you plant out late so the plants didn't get too big resulting in broken branches from heavy buds?

What about mold, did you harvest early to beat the mold?

Did the plants do alright by themselves?

• Like 1

I haven't, but I am about to. Mix of autos, and photo clones. Why not just give it a whirl? Might work out, but if not, not much time wasted. :) 

• Like 2

Interesting question, I've thought about doing this with a single Photo to negate risk. I've identified a spot but its not 100% safe, I figured if I just stick a single plant out I wont be too disappointed if its gone when I return. Low risk, potential high reward.

• Like 1

Yes and the results were poor to average at best.

Best advice i can give is to put an established plant out :george:    Not a seedling !!!        Main reason is i see people trying this with seedlings ... fill the hole with amendments to last the course of the run and this in turn burns / stunts and pretty much puts the little plant on the back foot.   

The established plant will take the hotbed of amendments better and increase your odds of a return worthy of ones time.   

Slow release feed pellets like ... easy feed ... worked well for me.   

• Like 4

Personally, I don't know why you would risk it to that degree. Especially with the droughts we seem to be getting more and more of over here - I would at least pay the occasional visit to check up, and make visits to water them if it's especially dry.

• Like 4

I got a plot that’s a nightmare to get to and dangerous due to bog marshland surrounding it (not used for a few years)

I used a few times and was fed up of how hard it was to get to so I decided to plant and leave 

Had Killer Kush fv if I remember right , sure I done it before with CS as well

Added the usual dry ferts and added 6 month slow release pellets 

When it came to putting the cages in, I was tired due to the graft in getting there and chopping everything down and turning the holes over, so I decided to only use two stakes instead of the usual 4

When I went back to harvest, some had blown over due to the half job of staking the cages and they suffered rot but the ones that stayed up right where ok , some were good and others were not ready . Still a tidy harvest 

If I’m to use the plot again, I’d have 4 or 5 stakes per cage and make sure they’re pushed deep in the ground. Turn the area over to remove roots so nothing grows up and drowns the plants and chop more of the surrounding bushes/bracken down for more airflow.

Will be better results 

Ive got a 4th plot this year which is plant and leave but I need to go back end of July for the ones that are auto so I will update on here with pics to show you results from plant and leave 

I will however, put some ferts down and tidy a little whilst I’m there for the photos to finish but if there was no autos , I would not visit until October for harvest.

I wouldn’t plant and leave if it was my only plot though as I want best I can if it was one plot.

It all depends on that really.

I used to have 5/6 plots at a time so it made sense to plant and leave one as it’s hard work on my own 

Some bud is better than no bud

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Island Lifer said:

Interesting question, I've thought about doing this with a single Photo to negate risk. I've identified a spot but its not 100% safe, I figured if I just stick a single plant out I wont be too disappointed if its gone when I return. Low risk, potential high reward.

That's a good idea, I might put a few plants out for a "plant and leave" and see how they do by themselves. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OldFord said:

Yes and the results were poor to average at best.

Best advice i can give is to put an established plant out :george:    Not a seedling !!!        Main reason is i see people trying this with seedlings ... fill the hole with amendments to last the course of the run and this in turn burns / stunts and pretty much puts the little plant on the back foot.   

The established plant will take the hotbed of amendments better and increase your odds of a return worthy of ones time.   

Slow release feed pellets like ... easy feed ... worked well for me.   

Yeah I might try some slow release pellets for a "plant and leave" rather than my usually amendments.  Don't need stunted plants. 

What slow release pellets did you use?

Edited by childofmelee
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Hashslag said:

Personally, I don't know why you would risk it to that degree. Especially with the droughts we seem to be getting more and more of over here - I would at least pay the occasional visit to check up, and make visits to water them if it's especially dry.

I'm in NZ and we don't get droughts here, we just get rain and high humidity.  But yeah maybe a few visits won't hurt.  It also depends on the location of the plots, don't want to leave tracks for the rippers to find, I've lost plants before after being spotted going into the bush.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crazy-sheep said:

I got a plot that’s a nightmare to get to and dangerous due to bog marshland surrounding it (not used for a few years)

I used a few times and was fed up of how hard it was to get to so I decided to plant and leave 

Had Killer Kush fv if I remember right , sure I done it before with CS as well

Added the usual dry ferts and added 6 month slow release pellets 

When it came to putting the cages in, I was tired due to the graft in getting there and chopping everything down and turning the holes over, so I decided to only use two stakes instead of the usual 4

When I went back to harvest, some had blown over due to the half job of staking the cages and they suffered rot but the ones that stayed up right where ok , some were good and others were not ready . Still a tidy harvest 

If I’m to use the plot again, I’d have 4 or 5 stakes per cage and make sure they’re pushed deep in the ground. Turn the area over to remove roots so nothing grows up and drowns the plants and chop more of the surrounding bushes/bracken down for more airflow.

Will be better results 

Ive got a 4th plot this year which is plant and leave but I need to go back end of July for the ones that are auto so I will update on here with pics to show you results from plant and leave 

I will however, put some ferts down and tidy a little whilst I’m there for the photos to finish but if there was no autos , I would not visit until October for harvest.

I wouldn’t plant and leave if it was my only plot though as I want best I can if it was one plot.

It all depends on that really.

I used to have 5/6 plots at a time so it made sense to plant and leave one as it’s hard work on my own 

Some bud is better than no bud

Wouldn't mind seeing your update in July, that would be good to see how auto's do in a plant and leave.

How did the Killer Kush FV do?, any mold?, did it finish?, what was it like to smoke?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, childofmelee said:

Yeah I might try some slow release pellets for a "plant and leave" rather than my usually amendments.  Don't need stunted plants. 

What slow release pellets did you use?

Easy Feed :yep:    

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OldFord said:

Easy Feed :yep:    

I'm not from the UK, is that sheep manure pellets or something?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, childofmelee said:

I'm not from the UK, is that sheep manure pellets or something?

Check out Richard Jacksons  , was a QVC shopping CH item that actually works and gained a good rep worldwide  :yep:

Flower Power is another feed i use all over the garden & my girls,  its cheap / effective and lasts a long time , its a lazy gardeners feed lol   

Also their Bug & Mildew works well also.   

• Like 1

Yes I have done plant & leave because I am lazy :P Best advice is plant at a early stage with a decent mulching & cage. What else can I say leave :rofl:

• Like 4