New Baby Growtent

handysmoker

How on earth can a coco brick say organic soil on it? lol   Is trade descriptions not a thing now?

Good luck with your grow anyway :lucky:

• Like 1

who knows nowadys u can say wtf you want, gonna be mixing with miracle gro which has worked well in the past for me. :cowboy:

@KC Right?! Coco A: isn't soil and B: ain't organic on principal lol

Green washing at its best, they've clearly read the Scotts evergreen playbook... we've got some evergreen topsoil in stock, levingtons branded and it's got PEAT FREE emblazoned on it :wallbash:

I'd laugh if it wasn't wantonly misleading naive gardeners.

:yinyang:

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

@KC Right?! Coco A: isn't soil and B: ain't organic on principal lol

Green washing at its best, they've clearly read the Scotts evergreen playbook... we've got some evergreen topsoil in stock, levingtons branded and it's got PEAT FREE emblazoned on it :wallbash:

I'd laugh if it wasn't wantonly misleading naive gardeners.

Hell yeh, there is no honesty on products anymore and the biggest offender is amazon, however saying that the lights i got where more than expected .... :cowboy:

ignore me, Just got in from a blunt stoned and read the thread flow completely wrong :doh:

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 1

@Fatboy77 Its a proper minefield this but bare with me....

Coco coir isnt a waste product, the pith and husk of the spent nuts (drupes if we are being picky like) are traditionally used to mulch coconut groves therefore replenishing spent nutrition in the soil and creating a cycle but now it's deemed "a useful waste product" all that nutrition locked into the husk is being exported from the point of origin so therefore isn't sustainable given the farmers are now reliant on agro ferts whereas previously coconut farming was basically closed loop. There's also the transport costs of shipping nut dust ¾ of the way round the world to factor in.

Obviously before it's shipped it's processed , it takes upto 600L of water alone to wash 1 cubic meter of Coco and that's without the acids and such used to buffer it, this pollutes water courses in under developed regions ( in south east Asia mostly).

Monoculture too and the damage that does to ecosystems... Take palm oil for example, that affects about 4 critically endangered species per million litres of oil produced, coconut oil affects 20 critical species per million litres and coir is a "biproduct" of this.

There's more but I'm fucking knackered and my brains already asleep, busy day selling polyanthus today innit lol

If Coco was organic you'd be able to use organic feed and it'd work properly...

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

ignore me, Just got in from a blunt stoned and read the thread flow completely wrong :doh:

its cool ... :cowboy:

• Like 1

@Fatboy77That's why coir will never be soil association certified organic or similar.

Inputs like ferts being organic is all well and good...if they actually work.

The microbial life in yer 50% compo is doing the heavy lifting I'd wager.... I did some environmental conservation qualis when I worked in waste management and I'm stockpiling peat because it's the lesser of two evils ... But... I'm not shy about using Coco I just don't like the fact it's being wantonly mis sold as an environmentally friendly option

Edited by BilgePump
the chemical adulteration of the buffering process strips it's potential organic status
  • Like 1

never thought a pic of coco brink stimulate this much conversation, thought the equipment would get more feedback .... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

It depends on what people deem organic. Our organic standards are far more stringent than other countries. Some would say anything organic couldn't be bottled in plastic or grown under lights. We all perceive things differently. 

Edited by KC
Predictive text errors
  • Like 2

at my age i've kinda given up on that argument .... it's not gonna make a blind bit of difference to the planet. IMO there is no such thing as organic any more, there is pollution everwhere, water, soil, air ... we have fxxk ourselfs in the ass and it's only gonna get worse ... bit bleak, so enjoy life wher u can :rolleyes:

Anyhow's this has gone of topic

Edited by handysmoker
added extra commet

Guest anarchycamp

No one going to actually help this person?:rofl:

@handysmokerOld style Black Orchid fans (dunno if theres a new style) and whatever the filter that came with it, I'd steer with a barge pole. Only good for cutting the plug off:yinyang:  

Edited by anarchycamp

Just now, anarchycamp said:

No one going to actually help this person?:rofl:

@handysmokerOld style Black Orchid fans (dunno if theres a new style) and whatever the filter that came with it, I'd steer with a barge pole. Only good for cutting the plug off:yinyang:  

only real difference is size and price, thats th 4" fan for small tent 60x60x140c ...  if not up to job will have to sort it :yinyang: