Bastard Thrips!

MindSoup

2 hours ago, Hazeytones said:

@MindSoup sorry to hear your under attack again thrips are a total fucker. I used guard n aid before and it got rid but not something I think you would want to use in no till. 

Sorry a bit off topic but I'm having a head fuck of a time with fungus gnats at the min tried steinerema feltiae nematodes but the fuckers keep coming back!!! Any suggestions?:bong:

Are you growing in soil?

If so get some sticky pads to stop the flying ones and do a couple of wet dry cycles with the soil for the larvae to kill them off.

If you can get the sticky pads close the surface of the soil also helps.:yep:

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Happy days, it's definitely time to get the big guns out.  Think I'm going to do away with the no till mums idea for now, it's very convenient for watering etc but they grow way too quickly and and my bed just isn't big enough to sustain itself properly. 

Dr schimmels spider mites spray killed my thrip problem sprayed the plant and soil never came back mate

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fatboy77 said:

Harkers.  Never fails.

100% on the Harkers. No no 1000000%

I get thrips. I spray at 0.5ml per litre, I do the same 2 days later. Thrips are no more.

I actually use it as a preventative on day one of flower these days.

It genuinely is a great product.

• Like 3

@Military Gradeyeah in a pot of living soil. It's my first run in it and over watered a bit to start then had the gnat outbreak. I added the nematodes and didn't see any about for a week or two but there back again.

I have sticky traps high and low and there catching them alright its just there's still a lot about.

I don't think it would be a great idea to let the soil dry out considering its a living soil.... this would have been my first choice had I still been in mpc. It maybe though I just always thought to try and keep the soil moist with the living soil, but I'm still only getting to grips with it so I may be wrong.

Cheers for the advice dude:bong:

• Like 2

@Hazeytones  I believe you're right mate about not letting living soil dry out, I've never done living soil so didn't cross my mind lol , Good luck mate there a few living soil guys on here that should be able to help:yep:

Sorry if i tagged the wrong people

@MindSoup 

@lildaveham

• Like 2

if in veg a can of raid moskito killer is ya friend... go in lightly a quick blast will kill any thing airborne...on the plus side it dont harm the dope. :skin_up:  + ive killed a few in my career  lol

• Like 2

oooops turn off the extraction whilst doing it but leave the blower on. :yep:

Edited by thekingofobsolete
fucked
  • Like 1

@thekingofobsolete TBF I've actually got a can in the cupboard, might not hurt the guys in the soil too much either. I guess you give it a few blast over a few days or so? 

I'm going to give the bastards a blast right now. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hazeytones said:

@Military Gradeyeah in a pot of living soil. It's my first run in it and over watered a bit to start then had the gnat outbreak. I added the nematodes and didn't see any about for a week or two but there back again.

I have sticky traps high and low and there catching them alright its just there's still a lot about.

I don't think it would be a great idea to let the soil dry out considering its a living soil.... this would have been my first choice had I still been in mpc. It maybe though I just always thought to try and keep the soil moist with the living soil, but I'm still only getting to grips with it so I may be wrong.

Cheers for the advice dude:bong:

Put your plant pot in some ladies tights and then close the tights against the stem with pipe cleaner. Gnats can’t penetrate the tights and get to the soil 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Military Grade said:

@Hazeytones  I believe you're right mate about not letting living soil dry out, I've never done living soil so didn't cross my mind lol , Good luck mate there a few living soil guys on here that should be able to help:yep:

Sorry if i tagged the wrong people

@MindSoup 

@lildaveham

Yup keeping the soil moist is essential to keep the soil microbes ticking over and feeding the plants. This is counter productive when we have a thrip or mite infestation but I use predators and they thrive in the moist conditions. Different predators for different stages of the thrip lifecycle should work. 

:blues:

• Like 2

I doubt it's connected, but since switching to coco, I never get bugs. I always did a thorough, under-leaf spray in properly emulsified neem and horticultural soap solution (then again 3 days later to get the hatchlings), and still got mites in soil. Since the coco, nothing. The compost was Plagron, canna coco is the coco I now use. Do soil growers get more bugs in general? 

Depends on the individual grower and their situations, I've never had thrips or spider mites, I have had springtails but they can come from your home and target anything damp.

I've got mates who grow in coco and hydro and they both have had thrips and spider mites many times. And of course I ban them from coming round when they do lol

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 5

The predators worked really well for me, ironed them out within 3 days, but after I thought they had gone I still hit them again to make sure, never came back.

you deffo need the egg eaters and the adult eaters, one or the other on their own don’t work.

I used amblyseius swirskii and amblyseius cucumeris

tried the ladybirds too, they didn’t really work.

I’ve also got a little bottle of harkers pidgin mite stuff just incase the re appear one day.

Edited by cypo74