Bastard Thrips!

MindSoup

Yeah TBF I've tried putting wild ladybirds in there a few times and they always seem to disappear. 

Right, I think I'm going to introduce a few new predators to start with, may as well carry on down the road I'm already on, plus it requires the least amount of effort which is always a winner lol. Don't want to stretch to the full kit from dragonfli and I've already used Cucumeris and they did sweet FA so I'll the get other 2 and see if they're up to the task.  

Might grab some of that invigorator as well TBF, looks like good stuff. I'm just trying to make sure it won't harm all my critters before I do. 

Think might have some neem meal/cake kicking somewhere as well, give a good top dress of that.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

Ah yes I always over look Rove Beatles. I think I remember that thread, not sure if I can be arsed to farm them myself at the moment but I'll get some to chuck in there and see how long they last. 

Roves, Swirskii and Robustulus, fingers crossed. 

Ok mate I had thrips and used Dr schimmels spider mite killed the lot drenched the plants and the soil did it 3 times they were gone it probably not good for the good critters but if your going to nuke the fuckers anyways 

Any hints on where to buy Roves? Or is it a case of finding some for myself? 

@Baron von greenback I'm not quite there yet, but if this lot doesn't work I might just have to try it, I've heard good things about the Dr schimmels stuff. 

Just now, MindSoup said:

Any hints on where to buy Roves? Or is it a case of finding some for myself? 

@Baron von greenback I'm not quite there yet, but if this lot doesn't work I might just have to try it, I've heard good things about the Dr schimmels stuff. 

Ye mate it's potent stuff it smells toxic but it kills anything I had gnats before thrips it did away with them as well the thing with thrips they in the soil so no matter what you do if you don't attack the soil they just sprout up again every cycle the baby's come up out of the soil which makes it bad news for you guys in live soil 

• Like 1

Oh yeah I totally forgot, I've used Orius already as well. They all seemed to disappear pretty quickly, but TBF I didn't know about them not liking neem so it might have been too soon after the treatment. 

Just now, MindSoup said:

@Baron von greenback in theory I should have a load of nematodes and mites in the soil but they're never as active as they are in my main bed. I think maybe this one is a bit too small. 

May be to many critters in the space if that makes sense thinking it can only support so much life plus the thrips eating shit may be bite the bullet have a full change out start again before they spread first time I tried to get rid of them I just sprayed the plant didn't work when I attacked the soil that's when they went they drop there eggs in the soil so next cycle there back mate

• Like 1

Neem never failed me mate,you sure you drench top few cm compo and under and over leafs/stem well?

Also Temps at higher end suit them as dead leafs but in veg tent spraying every 5 days should keep them at bay.

Best way I found to battle thrips

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/topic/199436-wetting-agent/&page=2

Edited by Herbal Kint

@MindSoup Personally I wouldn't touch a no till bed with anything Dr schimmel to be on the safe side, their mite terminator is horrible stuff yeah it does its job but it stinks like diesel and white spirit and literally kills everything (plants included if you go even slightly over the stated dose, I go ¾ strength).

Vitax do a really good plant guard and a plant invigorator (better than Stan Bruoard plant invigorator) both RTU bottles and powdered concentrate fwiw.

:yinyang:

• Like 1

@Baron von greenback yeah I'm starting to think that's the root of the problem, maybe I'm treating the symptom instead of the cause. 

@Herbal Kint I've been chucking neem around like it going out of fashion but it just doesn't seem to keep them away. I'm also starting to worry that it's hurting my beneficials. I know that neem itself doesn't hurt them but they still don't like being covered in a soapy, oily solution. 

@BilgePump it would be an absolute last resort, a full reset so to speak, although I'm leaning more towards just sacking the bed off entirely if i can't get the bastards under control.

• Like 1

As a preventative you could try Bio Green Garlic. It worked for me. I got thrips 2 grows running then on the next grow used this and I didn't see a thrip. I hated the smell but it seemed they did too

Owd

• Like 2