Bastard Thrips!

MindSoup

Hello chums 

Thought I'd put this in here because I need a solution that won't wipe out all my beneficials/worms etc. (I keep my mum's in/on a mini no till bed. 

I've been battling Thrips in my veg box for ages now and I just can't seem to get rid of the little bastard's. 

So far I've tried

Multiple neem treatments, soil and foliar. 

Hypoapsis Miles 

Nematodes, including spraying them directly onto the plants.

I really thought I'd seen the back of them after the nematodes, but they've reared their ugly heads again, just as I've been getting a few cuts ready for a mate. 

Any other ideas before I just nuke the lot and start reintroducing all my critters? Someone elsewhere recommended ladybirds, any recommendations on the best place to get some? 

I’ve had similar problems ongoing for years, can kill most of them off with neem but they just won’t go for good, I’ve smoke bombed the room to the point I was worried the fire brigade would be called, shut down the grow twice and deep cleaned everything, they just come back again and again, I’ve learned to live with them to a degree, can be controlled with sticky traps, low heat and high circulation fans and a good drenching with neem at week 2, little twats make me angry just reading this lmao. Just rebuilt my grow after a 3 month break can guarantee they’ll be back.

• Like 2

That's exactly what I was worried I might hear, you'd think 2 seperate populations of predators would help keep the numbers down but apparently not.

Luckily they haven't managed to infiltrate my flower tent, which is weird because they're about 6 inches from each other, there is a lot more circulation in the flower tent though, is it possible that's what's keeping them at bay? 

I'll grab some sticky traps. 

My gran swears by horticultural soap. Apparently they can't stand the stuff, even though it's all but harmless to everything else.

I try and keep a spray bottle at hand all throughout veg anyway as I foliar feed a lot in coco, and I haven't had a noticeable issue since

• Like 1

diatemecious earth works well in veg ...use a paint brush and coat top an bottom of the leaves ,stems and internodes ..keep dusting it on over a week ..even on the soil surface ..not saying they wont come back ..mine did ..but it killed nearly everything else off as well...then just rinse under some clean water ..i did also try washing up liquid and a touch of veg oil..sprayed on ..but wasnt keen on that method ..dont really want a washing liquid twang getting in anywhere ..

6 years now and the fuckers still keep coming ,ive done all the washing down i can be arsed with ..now i got a rush of fungus gnats ..thanks to a couple of grobags outside ..fuckin garden centres should be fined for some of the crap they allow through their doors.

ive given up worrying ..its all protein ..and i might train one and keep it as a pet .

• Like 7

@MindSoup the circulation fans of full blast definitely help, google dragonfli thrip control bundle, that’s my next step in the battle when they reappear, multi pronged attack from all angles.

• Like 1

2 of the old girls in our group were gifted cuts,  they came with unwanted freebies  ,  they both had bad infections !      

Both used the Richard Jacksons plant invigorator spray and 2 treatments later their freebies had vanished :yep:      All the group use it as a preventative now , all slear so far.

May well be worth a look mate.       Never rains but it pours mucker 

• Like 5

Just now, vince noir rock n roll star said:

ive given up worrying ..its all protein ..and i might train one and keep it as a pet .

About where I’m at, not far off giving them names either.

• Like 3

lance and dave ..they`re the parents..everard is the fungus gnat that wont go .

e2a forgot how to spell for a minute

Edited by vince noir rock n roll star
  • Like 4

Cheers for the input guys.  

@blerie420 I'm pretty sure they've had horticultural soap alongside the neem oil, that's what helps it emulsify into the water. 

@vince noir rock n roll star will the DE harm my predators etc? I might be tempted regardless if it was a definite cure but like you say nothing seems to keep them at bay long term. 

@Barry blunt I've used dragonfli in the past, kit looks pretty pricey and massive over kill for my space, I doubt there'd be room for my plants with all that in there lol. Still it gives me a few other predators to try, might email and see if they'd do me a smaller bundle. 

@OldFord that's interesting, might have to give it a go. I definitely don't need my girls growing any faster but if it gets the Thrips gone It'll be worth it. I take it it won't harm my precious predators? Not that they're up to the job, I've just grown attached to them lol..

@Crow River yeah I'm not far off just drenching the lot in peroxide and then re stocking the (supposed) preventives and beneficials etc. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 4

@MindSoup yeah I use it to emuslify with mine too, think she means more a regular application than anything. I put a dash in with my silica/seaweed foliar too so it doesn't just evaporate straight off like

• Like 1

I tried ladybirds once for mites but they weren't really into it - had some larvae and adults but they mostly all found some way to get the fuck out asap leaving the mites to do their thing. Would probably choose one of the methods suggested in this thread instead 

I've got some Amblyseius andersoni sachets in atm, I do have thrips but they've not been going crazy so far so might be kept in check by predators 

• Like 1

Hypoapsis Miles are ruddy useless. Hoofed 2k in a 60cm² and they just run around lookin busy.

Do they not know there's a war on?

:yinyang:

• Like 4

I got no idea mate,   all i can suggest is check his website , should it be suitable then nosey on the Q *C shopping ch as they tend to discount his stuff.

Will say the bug & mildew spray was awesome , got the g/h spotless , but the Plant invigorator i personally have only used around the garden.    

Hope you get to grips with it mate