Bastard Thrips!

MindSoup

Sorry @MindSoup mate, I found a great resource for brewing up home remedies but can't find it :headpain:

DE spread on your soil will do for the thrips, as stated before, they drop and pupate or something in the soil so its a good first line defence and provides some nutrients.

• Like 1

@Owderb nice one I'll give it a look. Does it just smell of Garlic or is it more sinister?  

@porky yeah the only issue with DE is that I'm pretty sure it will fuck up all my existing mites and stuff as well as the Thrips. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MindSoup said:

@Owderb nice one I'll give it a look. Does it just smell of Garlic or is it more sinister?  

@porky yeah the only issue with DE is that I'm pretty sure it will fuck up all my existing mites and stuff as well as the Thrips. 

The thing with de on your soil soon as you water it's no good so you don't get much benefit on your leaves that's different as long as you don't foliar spray but it's good organic growing but you very limited when out goes wrong

• Like 1

Spinosad did the trick for me. Cant remember how many times i sprayed but it worked well and I only had thrips for one run.

I used blue sticky cards a few days as well before spraying which caught loads.

Good luck

Dan

• Like 1

Coco coir was a game changer for me and bugs. Not sure if the 2 are linked but haven't had a bug problem since eliminating soil.

Also, I was mixing my neem spray wrong for years. When you get it right, it's a creamy, stable and emulsified droplet with no streaks . Just as crucial was to hit them again 3-4 days later to catch the hatchlings. 

Good luck eliminating bugs. I'm bug free these days! :yep:

• Like 1

@The Villan I wouldn't have thought it would be safe for no till, from my understanding the only real insecticide you can use is neem because it only targets bugs with a certain mouth part. 

@Slippy One yeah like you say neem can be a bit of a fuck about and I hate mixing potions, hence why I grow no till. It also loves to leave a nasty residue all over my sprayer and I'm not convinced it doesn't also do some harm to my beneficials. Maybe not chemically, but physically, I can't imagine my mites like getting doused in oily, soapy gunk. 

No till is about orchestrating a balance, neem doesn't really fit into that. If I have to keep treating the bed periodically then something is wrong, so if this doesn't work I'm going to re think how I keep mums, like I said earlier in the thread, I suspect the true root of the issue is that the beds to small to maintain that balance. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The little fuckers are back again! I've thrown nearly every predator in the book at them and still they come back. Getting really annoyed now because I can't use my veg box to start new seeds or cuts.

Someone give me a nuclear option, all these beneficials and predators are clearly doing fuck all so I'm not too worried about losing them at this stage. 

Happy days, it's definitely time to get the big guns out.  Think I'm going to do away with the no till mums idea for now, it's very convenient for watering etc but they grow way too quickly and and my bed just isn't big enough to sustain itself properly. 

Dr schimmel seems to kill everything, we recently used it to annihilate a pretty bad flea problem in our spare room.

:yinyang:

• Like 1

@MindSoup sorry to hear your under attack again thrips are a total fucker. I used guard n aid before and it got rid but not something I think you would want to use in no till. 

Sorry a bit off topic but I'm having a head fuck of a time with fungus gnats at the min tried steinerema feltiae nematodes but the fuckers keep coming back!!! Any suggestions?:bong:

• Like 2

Sorry to hear they are back, I am dreading the day they arrive in my set-up.

Just had a look online, the trip predator bundle costs £££

Can you use the nematodes to treat the soil, then cling film the surface when spraying the plants with chemical, at least the bed life should stay intact?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fatboy77 said:

Harkers.  Never fails.

This or Ivermec, abamectin, same stuff but with thrips I'd be using a root drench like rotenone or pyrethrum, vine weevil killer. I wouldn't use ''ectins'' on flowering plants, though.

• Like 2