Bottomless Pots; an experiment.

Pepe Ramon

Hi everyone, greetings from Lat 41, just a quick post to show you an experiment I'm doing this year. 

Some of you may know that I had a plant self seed and germinate last year on ground that wasn't part of my growing scheme, it sprouted in about half an inch of soil which is above a particular type of shaley rock and did quite well, the main thing was it required very little water as it had put its tap root directly into the ground, that's my theory anyway. It has a diary called Rogue One somewhere on here. I watered my plants in the no-till bed virtually every other day during July and August last year, whereas the Rogue One plant hardly required any water at all!

So this year I am doing a little experiment, I'll be sowing all my seeds directly into their final positions, including those in my fabric pots. So I've decided to cut out the bottom of the pots.

Why?

Well, I'm hoping the tap root will go into the ground underneath and as a result the plant will require less water while still having access to nutrients etc from the compost in the pot. It's kinda like a raised bed I suppose, but round. The pots are 30 gallon (US) btw. I'll also be able to feed and water more accurately.

So after I cut out the bottom, I put a few rocks in to hold it in place, then I half filled it with some compost and bokashi. I then put some soil around the outside base of the pot, I've done this to minimise water loss, to keep the roots a little cooler and to aid with stability. I'll be topping it up again when I get closer to sowing the seeds.

large.IMG_5178.jpglarge.IMG_5179.jpglarge.IMG_5180.jpglarge.IMG_5181.jpg

I am going to do 4 of these pots, plus I'll be running 3 plants in my no-till bed, but I haven't decided on what seeds I am going to run yet.

I have 4 different strains from Ace Seeds in the fridge plus a few individual odds and sods from other seedbanks but I'm also waiting on Seedstockers to decide if they are going to run an outdoor comp again this year before I make my final decision.

I hope everyone has a bumper outdoor season in 2023.  :hippy:

Edited by Arbre Medicinal
  • Like 16

I remember that little lady, what a trooper. I definitely think you're on to something with this some excited to see how you get on. Good luck with the season dude.

• Like 3

Rogue One was indeed a thriller and thoroughly enjoyed following along & cheering for her :yep:     

The very best for the upcoming run sir and hopefully no dramas !!      Although drama does make it way more fun lol     

My southern GG plot last year was done with shallow pots at home in the garden until established then when on the GG plot the arse was cut out the pot and sunk in the dirt.

Done this a few times now and had varying results , will be following along for the rise mate.    All the best.   

• Like 3

How about filling up some of the pot with rotting manure before adding compost on top and make yourself a hotbed so the plants can get ahead start?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, highgrower said:

How about filling up some of the pot with rotting manure before adding compost on top and make yourself a hotbed so the plants can get ahead start?

Good question.

I have added some bokashi compost into the first pot and I'll probably do the same with the others. The likelihood is I'll be growing sativas and I don't want to put too much nitro into the pots. 

I have access to loads of horse manure and I've already added some to my no-till bed, I have a heap on-site that has been rotting down for nearly two years but I want a more gentle approach and I can always feed them if I need to. It's my first time with Ace Seeds so I don't want to overdo the nutes.

The main reason for the experiment is water usage and how I can use the least amount possible while still maintaining healthy plants. We are in the middle of a drought over here and from June to September I will get virtually no rain at all, luckily if the well water runs out I have access to the mains on-site but that costs money.

The thing with bokashi compost is it takes about 2 weeks in the bokashi bin to mature before you can use it, then after burying it, you have to wait a week or two for it to break down further, otherwise it's a little acidic, but once it breaks down you wouldn't know that you'd buried a load of vegetable matter just 2/3 weeks ago. 

So the next pot will be filled in a week or two but I won't be planting anything until April/May so I have loads of time for the pots to settle. 

Thanks for the positive vibes and input everyone, and nice to see some familiar faces, I'll update when i get the next pots sorted.

In the meantime, here's a video about bokashi for those that aren't familiar with the process. All our kitchen scraps go into our bokashi bins except bones, we have two purpose built bins which are widely available or you can build your own like this guy does, we even put the cardboard from toilet rolls and kitchen roll tubes in there after we rip them up, plus all the little bits of stalk and leaf that I have from buds goes in.

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Arbre Medicinal said:

It's my first time with Ace Seeds so I don't want to overdo the nutes.

I did my first run with them last year - very happy with the results - I was also very cautious feeding them so ended up underfeeding by a fair bit so dont be too shy with the nutes.

• Like 2

@Arbre Medicinal we do the Bokashi process at home too. A family of four produces quite a lot of food scraps even though plates are usually cleared. :) A lot of fruit and veg peelings, inedible leftovers etc. We put small bones in too, plus kitchen roll after it's been used to clean a spill or something. Cardboard tubes usually go in the recycling though. 

I've been burying the fermented Bokashi in trenches in the soil at my allotment. I will also put some in the plots I've been preparing for a GG. The rest goes in a plastic composter bin at my allotment currently, even in winter it rots down really quickly to produce an amazing dark compost. Might store some in a large food waste caddy on site for future use. Haven't tried it in pots or containers yet, might give that a go as it seems a good way to fertilise them. :yep:

• Like 2

bottemless pots are great...certainly with direct seeds in the ground.

the pot is white...thats good....but i would put on the sunside more branches or dirt...to keep the roots cool....thats essential...

try 1 pot with one the 2 receipts i posted in this topic...

Npk 101, Nutes And Ferts. - Page 2 - Guerrilla Growing - UK420

succes !!

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 2

So how does bukkaki keep the seedlings warm and how much can you get or need surely this is an extreme growing method but if it works everyone will be going for it. Peace Goohfy.

• Like 3