Decent soil recommendations!

reds

@MidgeSmith  John Innes soils have their uses, unfortunately none of them suit our needs it's true, waterloggy should be a word lol

ji#3 mixed 50/50 with moler clay cat litter is a great mix for cacti and succulents for example (the shitter litter vastly reduces it's tendency to be claggy)

Mostly ji blends will be used for container perennials and stuff that requires a bit more body than a traditional multi purpose, tis a heavy mix though even the seedling blend sets like concrete.

:yinyang:

• Like 2

Another vote for Tropic Mix. Love the stuff personally. You could pretty much make your own with 60% peat moss, 40% coco and some lime if you felt up to it.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Clubs said:

You could pretty much make your own with 60% peat moss, 40% coco and some lime if you felt up to it.

I used to knock up mixes along the lines of this

Bag of peat moss (100L)

Bag of worm casts (20L)

35L of coir

15L supercoarse perlite

750g dolomite lime

Used as a low nutrient medium to quickly establish a root system for salt fertigation. 

If doing organic could add composted chicken manure etc.  

These days mostly just use Clover's multipurpose neat out of laziness.  Does the job and keeps things simple.  

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Slippy One said:

Gotta say, you soil heads are brave. I had so many issues with soil indoors (none outdoors). All this Plagron vs Biobizz vs organic bat guano vs John Innes (who the fuck is he? :D )./

You've all see the coco/beanstalk thread right? Tech has come a long way in eliminating school kid errors like overwatering etc.. 

Outdoors, organic filth makes sense but indoors, I'd never even consider compost indoors, even if it was sterile or organic soup no till, the coco/hi-tech food is a total no brainer. 

Good luck with whatever soil you use, hopefully not too many thrip/root aphids/gnats this round. Overwatered? You won't know for 2 weeks when she's already dead. :yep:

Oh bruv, I'm with you on the  coco thing.  I love the stuff. Biggest harvest ever was a diy coco automated run to waste set up using Growers Ark nutes which h are just shit hot. And the way this looking for decent soil and organic nutes is going, I can see myself just thinking fuk it and buying some GA  coco nutes, some more  coco and running with that. At least I know where I stand and what to expect. And to be honest(now wait for the backlash!) I don't taste too much difference between the coco and the Organics I've grown. Just need a pH pen, which is money I don't have atm. Lost my job recently. What size pots do u reckon I'd need growing 5 plants under a Marshydro TS1000?

• Like 1

@redsforget the ga nutes, try the beanstalk range. No ph’ing, no run off, no problem. See the coco section for Owderb’s thread. Revolution in coco. 

no runoff!! :D 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Amarillo slim said:

15L supercoarse perlite

Have you ever tried granulated cork as an aerator instead of perlite? I'm discovering rapid root growth with this. I got the idea after a run with Mills DNA Ultimate Soil with Cork. The plants loved the stuff, just not the slow-release ferts so make my own now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clubs said:

Have you ever tried granulated cork as an aerator instead of perlite?

No, don't think I've heard of it being used in a mix.  

1 hour ago, Clubs said:

The plants loved the stuff,

I will be in Spain/Portugal in spring where theres loads of cork. I'll give it a try in a seedling mix. 

• Like 2

I've used bio light mix this grow and loved it,fed intense organix grow at half strength & am giving them full strength bloom which they seem to like.Only got the light mix by accident but will get some more once I've used the rest of my tropic.

• Like 1

Wow, guys you're not really helping a brother out here with all this good, but extremely varied advice!?! Lol. Only joking. I really do appreciate everyone who has bothered to enlighten a grower while is about 5years behind the times. And a lot can and has happened in that time. But like I said, bless all who have contributed to this topic. Even if I go a certain route this run, all the info given is stored away like little precious nuggets of gold for future runs. As after growing in soil/organically, I get bored and make the switch to coco. That's the two preferred methods i grow with. Can go wrong with them 2. Well, most of the time!

• Like 1

On 29/12/2022 at 4:03 PM, Slippy One said:

@redsforget the ga nutes, try the beanstalk range. No ph’ing, no run off, no problem. See the coco section for Owderb’s thread. Revolution in coco. 

So no salt build up to deal with? I did look at their site, but to be honest, the products they had there d8dnt mak3 much sense to me. What's the grow and what's the bloom feed? I'll have another look, nownive a straighter head on my shoulders. But thanks again for your input. Appreciate it bro.

On 29/12/2022 at 4:03 PM, Slippy One said:

Just had another quick butchers. So which packs did you go for? Coz they're not exactly in the price range for a Victorian street urchin like myself to buy unless I go out on a mad pickpocketing mission with the boys! Do you  need the whole range? And what is that 'One Pot' stuff they got all about? They're not too clear on usage of which product. I think they need to rename the products to clarify what's what. But they do look bloody interesting and something I'm leaning towards. What additives are toy using with them? I'd like a root stim and they do mention silica a few times. I've got a big bottle of PM BioSilicon already so that's a bonus. And where in UK did you shop for them? Thanks for your ongoing advice. 

Reds