Winter windowsill insanity

Crow River

Just a tip for you. Turn them a little bit every now and then as it should help the yield abit. With a window the only source of light is dirctly infront, not much from the sides or the back of the plant or from the top as much as outdoors or well placed artificial lighting. So your plants and the leaves and bud sites only recive light from the one point. It helps if you turn the plant every now and then, it should help.

• Like 1

Bit of an update on the girls by the window. Well, mostly the Critical Kush Auto. She's 106 days old, and buds are ripening nicely. Maybe another week or two left before chop. My OH has started complaining about the smell, so it's good she's nearly ready... Pics below taken last night when the supplementary lighting was on.

large.IMG_20230405_014431.jpeglarge.IMG_20230405_014505.jpeglarge.IMG_20230405_014521.jpeglarge.IMG_20230405_014529.jpeg

large.IMG_20230405_014540.jpeg

Her daughter the clone is in flower too, but not so far on. She's small but perfectly formed as the saying goes. All but the two uppermost buds have been pollinated. You can see a couple of Joshua clones too the right.

large.IMG_20230405_014552.jpeg

The SOS is 55 days old, and looks as though she might be thinking about flowering too. She's still small, but has come on a fair bit this past week. Behind her are two very vigorous Super Kush clones, potted up into Pot Noodle containers. Just next to her in the foreground is the Frisian Duck, growing well at the moment. To the left of the picture at the front is a very vigorous TBL clone.

large.IMG_20230405_014601.jpeg

• Like 1

@Hey-yo, yes I do this with all my house plants too. A bit tricky with the Critical Kush Auto, because she's pretty big, but I did turn her round a few days ago. Also all the girls get a few hours of artificial light every night, so not just sunlight.

@Ecto, I don't bother weighing my harvests, but yields at the window tend to be more modest than in a tent or grow cabinet. Having said that, my first window sill grow was actually quite impressive. This one looks to exceed that, the Critical Kush Auto responded well to topping and is a big bush of bud. :) 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Crow River said:

@Hey-yo, yes I do this with all my house plants too. A bit tricky with the Critical Kush Auto, because she's pretty big, but I did turn her round a few days ago. Also all the girls get a few hours of artificial light every night, so not just sunlight.

@Ecto, I don't bother weighing my harvests, but yields at the window tend to be more modest than in a tent or grow cabinet. Having said that, my first window sill grow was actually quite impressive. This one looks to exceed that, the Critical Kush Auto responded well to topping and is a big bush of bud. :) 

I didn’t even think mine would get this far tbh so whatever I can smoke of it is a bonus 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ecto said:

I didn’t even think mine would get this far tbh so whatever I can smoke of it is a bonus 

That's a good way to look at it, "free" bonus weed. :) 

• Like 1

Bit of an update with some more photos of Critical Kush Auto. This girl has a really strong scent now. Just moving her for the photos produced clouds of stink that filled the room. :) Can't be too far off harvest time now, at least for the upper buds. Checked the trichs with by loup, still clear but lots of ginger pistils these days. Maybe another week to ten days, then it will be time to start chopping the riper buds.

large.IMG_20230409_153349.jpeglarge.IMG_20230409_153314.jpeglarge.IMG_20230409_153305.jpeglarge.IMG_20230409_153252.jpeglarge.IMG_20230409_153229.jpeglarge.6432dc789ef95_IMG_20230409_153212(1).jpeglarge.IMG_20230409_153147.jpeg

• Like 4

The buds on the Critical Kush Auto are ripening really fast, more fan leaves are turning a purple hue. Reckon she'll be ready to chop this week.

• Like 1

Critical Kush Auto hit 114 days at midnight, and got chopped. Her branches are now hanging to dry. Pics below hopefully self explanatory. Prior to harvest, she was 72cm tall, with an excellent branching structure. Very beneficial for yield to top this strain, as all the tops produced large colas. Very leafy buds as is fairly typical for autos. The OH will be relieved as the smell is now much reduced! :) 

large.IMG_20230413_002138.jpeglarge.IMG_20230413_005431.jpeglarge.IMG_20230413_005440.jpeglarge.6437f19a9200f_IMG_20230413_005503(1).jpeglarge.IMG_20230413_012833.jpeglarge.IMG_20230413_012848.jpeg

• Like 3

Alas, not all is well at the window.

I checked on all the girls yesterday, and they seemed to be okay, but I noticed wee SOS was leaning over slightly, and some small yellow spots on a few fan leaves. I assumed she was just bending to the light, and turned her around. Checked online to see if the spots were symptoms of spider mites. 

Anyway, was going to photograph her today to show her flowers. And she's now wilting seriously, and nearly fell over when moved. Propped her up with a skewer to take a proper look. Stem rot at the base, presumably root rot too. Not taking up water. Oh dear, such as a shame as she appeared to be doing well. Can't believe how quickly it spread. Looks like something has munched all around the base of the stem. I have removed her from the window sill just in case this spreads to other plants.

I'm assuming this is fatal. I would try to cut her and root her but she's in mid-flower and I have no reason to believe it would work. Will probably just chop her, dry and add to the edibles pile. Soil will get binned.

What a pity. Day 64 - RIP SOS.

large.IMG_20230414_135150.jpeglarge.IMG_20230414_135416.jpeg

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 3
Just now, Crow River said:

Ah well, never mind. Probably pop another seed fairly soon...

Thats the spirit . 

Id go with overwatering . 

• Like 2

Looks like a dry spot in the soil caused a infection in the stem. You could save it by planting deeper. I suffer with this a bit in greenhouses if I use old dry compost. Way around it is to plant just above the seedleaf. Why above the seedleaf I don't know but it does seem to make a difference. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, CheechChongReturns said:

@brock1 your eyes are better than mine. I cant see the dry spot, but bedding her deeper has got to be worth a shot. 

Honestly I don't have better sight I use the zoom on my phone. I am partially sighted with only 56% vision. One of the reasons my posts don't always make sense because reading actually hurts my eyes & I had to change job because of the head aches from eye strain. Its just something I see a lot of over the years mostly from greenhouse grows were the humidity and temperature changes fast. Its similar to damping off as the old gardener's call it only with a much older plant.

Edited by brock1
  • Like 3