Winter windowsill insanity

Crow River

1 hour ago, Crow River said:

I'll wait another week or two before binning the GLZ. Maybe she'll surprise me yet...

Sweet mate.. before you bin it try cracking the shell gently between your fingers..last season I had a stubborn 1 that wouldn't pop but arrived that and away she went nothing to lose brother :yep:

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Revive said:

Sweet mate.. before you bin it try cracking the shell gently between your fingers..last season I had a stubborn 1 that wouldn't pop but arrived that and away she went nothing to lose brother :yep:

Sure, might try that. Maybe she's just stubborn... :) 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, OldFord said:

Fingers crossed mate ,  my glz was quite reluctant slow to crack but she was worth the wait.     

Think i have 1 left if your keen :yep:

Let's wait and see what happens. Still no sign of the GLZ...

• Like 1

Wee SOS is now at Day 14.

Potted her up onto the final. Her true leaves seem to be getting bigger, so she has the chance to spread roots in plenty of fresh soil and get to a decent size now.

large.IMG_20230221_011447.jpeg

• Like 3

A wee update on the general situation at the window. It's now 54 days since the first seedlings broke the soil. 

Of the two original girls, the Critical Kush Auto has been meddled with the least. One potting up and one topping only. She's now pretty big and bushy, getting steadily taller and closer to the grow bulb. She's also finally starting to flower - the first wispy hairs appearing at nodes. 

The Super Kush has survived the root prune and repot. No signs of growth just now, but still healthy looking. I imagine it may take a week or so before she starts growing vigorously again.

Joshua is taking her time. She's not as big or tall as the older girls, but she's doing fine. I'll probably pot her up soon.

Couple of pics below. Critical Kush Auto is the big girl directly under the lamp. Super Kush bottom of frame, Joshua bottom right. You can't see the recent arrivals in amongst that jungle. Behind the Critical Kush Auto is her clone, still fairly small but growing fast. Nestling alongside are SOS and Passion #1, both still in the seedling stage. On the windowsill proper, three TBL clones are growing vigorously in small pots. I'll veg them here for a bit before putting in a tent to flower. May need potting up shortly.

large.IMG_20230222_005141.jpeg

large.63f56eaa5416c_IMG_20230222_005215(1).jpeg

Overall I'm pretty happy with how things are going. Only problem is space, or the lack of. Also I suppose I have made this grow a bit more complicated by starting mother plants, taking cuts and rooting clones, etc. But the free sunlight is making this a pretty inexpensive exercise. The SANSI grow bulb only draws 35/36 watts, but the girls seem to like it. The bulb shines for fewer hours every week as the days get longer. The heat mat is on most of the time, unless it's sunny and the temperatures soar at the window...

Now that the first auto is starting to flower, I'm going to have to set up a carbon filter nearby. The smelliest plant is the Super Kush, but the Critical Kush Auto will be starting to make a stink soon, and I've another on the way, plus the SOS. The hope is that these girls will fill a few jars while outdoor grows are getting under way...

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 5

(Cross posted from my Pot Noodle diary)

I took some cuts from all six of my Triton Biscotto Lime girls (that are currently flowering). Three of the rooted cuts are currently vegging on the window sill in wee 300ml pots. Pic below of them soaking up a bit of sunshine. 

Not sure what to do with these. Original plan was to flower all six in a SOG style, after maybe a couple of weeks veg. However the other three clones are not as vigorous as these three, so a SOG might not be the best option. These girls seem to be doing just fine by the window for now, maybe I need to repot soon. I can't decide whether to put them in Pot Noodles and then just flower them in a tent, or maybe stick all three in a trough planter, let them veg a bit more at the window, then flower in the tent later on. 

First world problems, eh? :D

large.IMG_20230223_134619.jpeg

• Like 2

Checked again on the GLZ and Frisian Duck. Nothing happening, so I dug around in the wee pots. Frisian Duck definitely germinated, as a tap root was sent down. However it then seemed to stall, and no seedling appeared. Tap root was discoloured and starting to rot. So that pot was binned. GLZ seed was intact, no sign of the shell having split. Tried to crack it open in my fingers, but nothing doing.

Decided to have another go with the GLZ. Binned the original pot, filled two fresh with potting mix, watered with H2O2. The oxygen bubbles frothed up the soil making the pots look like cup cakes. Excavated two small holes, dropped the GLZ seed in one, and a new Frisian Duck in the other. Back in the heated propagator.

We'll see how they get on this time...

Potted up the three clones by the window into 1 litre yoghurt pots. Just in the nick of time, roots were starting to circle the bases of the old pots. Very vigorous strain this TBL, given half a chance! :) 

The clones will be topped soon as one is already stretching fairly tall, and all three are at their firth node now. Will do it in a couple of days, once they're settled in to the new pots.

Also potted up Joshua into her final 2 litre fabric pot. Didn't trim the roots this time, just backfilled with a bunch of soil. Again her roots were just starting to circle the old pot, the fabric pot should stop that happening. Looking forward to some more growth (and then clones) from this girl soon...

• Like 2

It's been two months since this experiment started. So far it's been a great success, surprisingly enough. While the seedlings took a while to get to any size in January, all the plants that were tiny at that point are now doing really well. They've been joined by more seedlings and a bundle of clones. As the days get longer and the temperatures a little milder, the grow bulb is needed for fewer hours. However the size of the garden by the window has meant I recently needed to add another light alongside, to ensure every plant gets some light.

A general view of the jungle here. Most of what can be seen is the Critical Kush Auto, which is in early flower and stretching. About 50cm tall at the moment, by far the biggest plant by the window. 

large.IMG_20230228_220402.jpeg

Another view from above, showing just how big the Critical Kush Auto is now.

large.IMG_20230228_220710.jpeg

In the foreground are two mothers, left is the Super Kush, right is Joshua. Both have been topped, and the Super Kush has produced dive cuttings already. These are being kept small so they don't take up too much space.

large.IMG_20230228_220417.jpeg

On the sill proper are some clones. Three Triton Biscotto Lime are growing incredibly fast, they did not skip a beat after potting up and keep vegging like crazy. They'll be topped this week, and the tops rooted into further clones...

large.IMG_20230228_220447.jpeg

Here a smaller TBL clone, with the first Super Kush clone in front. I'll pot these up sometime over the next week.

large.IMG_20230228_220832.jpeg

Also at the window another couple of autos. A Critical Kush Auto clone, rooted after topping the big girl. And SOS, which is still very small for 22 days old, but this seems to be the way by the window.

large.IMG_20230228_220640.jpeglarge.IMG_20230228_221015.jpeg

Finally the Frisian Duck seedling has broken the soil, and the cotyledon is about to unfurl. Still no sign of the GLZ...

large.IMG_20230228_220231.jpeg

• Like 9

Thanks for sharing Rav, really interesting to follow. I'm doing something similar, I started off two Autos at the end of Jan, they are spending their days sitting on a south facing window sill and receive supplementary light from a hydro lamp in the mornings and evenings. Although only around 4" tall at this stage they appear happy and healthy.

I think these plants are hardier than we give them credit for.

• Like 1

@Island Lifer, yeah they seem to thrive by the window. Reckon natural sunlight is good for the girls. Things just take a little bit longer, more like an outdoor grow. I started out growing by the window, and it really works well as a veg space. Autoflowers are a good idea too. There's not quite the same level of control as you have with a tent or cabinet, but it certainly saves a few bob on electricity.

• Like 2

Bit of an update on the window grow, now running for 68 days.

It’s a jungle! The Critical Kush Auto is now 60cm tall, and nearly hitting the supplementary lighting above. It’s around the same width too. In full flower now, maybe another six weeks or so before harvest. The wee clone I made from her is growing well too, but planted in a smaller pot so shouldn’t get quite so big. By comparison, other girls are fairly small. Both the Super Kush and Joshua mums have been deliberately restricted in their 2 litre fabric pots. I’ll probably take some more cuttings from both soon. The wee SOS is still very small considering it’s about a month old. Maybe it’s not so happy with the cooler conditions, or not getting enough light. Once this cold snap has eased off I’ll probably move it closer to the window so it gets more sun. 

Similarly the Passion #1 and Frisian Dew are still seedlings, though Passion #1 is putting out some bigger leaves now. The three TBL clones on the window sill proper rooted out their pots in just a week, literally two of them had roots poking out of the drainage holes. The third one seemed to be suffering a bit from cold. So they’ve been potted up into a trough planter. I’ve put a heat mat under them, insulated the planter, and will let them veg for a week or two there before moving them to a tent to flower. The fourth of the early TBL clones seemed unhappy at the window and started looking necrotic. Maybe the roots got too cold. That’s been binned. Similarly the first Super Kush clone did not fare well, with yellowing leaf tips. I’ve returned her to the propagator, and we’ll see what happens but not looking promising. Another TBL clone appears to have rooted and is putting out new growth, so will be potted up soon. 

Unsurprisingly, the three oldest girls are the biggest, and the one that has the biggest pot and been pruned the least has performed best. The TBL clones have also impressed with their vigour on a sometimes chilly window sill. I’m hoping that the other Super Kush clones will fare better than the first, otherwise there might have to be a change of plan there.

Overall, I’m quietly pleased with the grow. Been two years now growing by the window, so far this is the most promising yet. :) 

Some pics taken last night:

The jungle

large.IMG_20230307_002443.jpeg

Critical Kush Auto

large.IMG_20230307_003247.jpeglarge.IMG_20230307_003259.jpeglarge.IMG_20230307_003806.jpeglarge.IMG_20230307_003810.jpeg

Super Kush and Joshua

large.IMG_20230307_002508.jpeg

SOS and Critical Kush Auto clone (top)

large.IMG_20230307_003222.jpeg

Passion #1

large.IMG_20230307_003317.jpeg

Frisian Dew

large.IMG_20230307_003056.jpeg

TBL clones repotted

large.IMG_20230307_002454.jpeg

• Like 6

The repotted TBL clones have been growing very vigorously. So much so that they started to put some of the smaller plants next to them in shade. So I decided to move them to a tent. I'll let them veg there for another week, maybe two. Then they'll be flipped to 12/12.

This move meant I could rearrange the window space, and put those smaller plants up there to get whatever sunlight is going. Including another TBL clone which is growing fast in its tiny pot. Have to say, given half a chance, this strain really goes for it! :) 

Three TBL clones

large.IMG_20230311_230510.jpeg

Now in a tent vegging

large.IMG_20230312_001204.jpeg

Moving up, from left to right: Critical Kush Auto clone, SOS, Passion #1, TBL clone.

large.IMG_20230312_000910.jpeg

• Like 6