Winter windowsill insanity

Crow River

1 hour ago, Crow River said:

Sure is! I have a CF and fan sitting right next to this plant. Helps a bit with the smell...

Guess it takes the edge off it but won't folk smell it if they come to visit?

• Like 1

There's sometimes a bit of smell outside the room, depending on wind direction and time of day. Most of the time nothing though.

There's another two CFs in the same room for my two wee tents, so that could be making a difference.

Checked over the cuts in the propagator. Quite a few seem to have rooted successfully, Super Kush and Joshua among them. Some had roots trailing out of the pots! :) Took five out to let them get a bit more daylight and air. They'll all need potting up. Now I just have the problem of where to put them! :rolleyes:lol 

• Like 1

Day 96 for Critical Kush Auto. Decided to make a portrait of her to show how much bigger she is than all the other girls by the window. Think I'll get a decent harvest from her in a few weeks' time... :) 

large.64209cfb101c8_IMG_20230326_191338(1).jpeglarge.IMG_20230326_191356.jpeglarge.IMG_20230326_191428.jpeg

The wee SOS has had a bit of a growth spurt this week. Still maybe small for 45 days old, but she is steadily getting larger...

large.IMG_20230326_191643.jpeglarge.IMG_20230326_191651.jpeg

• Like 7

Hi Crow river, following this with great interest.Just wondered why you have bubble wrap over the window.Is it for insulating, shading or just to stop people seeing in ?

Also how do you go on with temps  ? as i have a South facing windows and when to sun does come out, it can get very warm ,probably too warm.

Thanks

Zeb

• Like 2

@Zebal, the bubble wrap is primarily insulation, as I started the grow in late December. It also gives some privacy, especially important when the supplementary lighting is on late at night. I suppose it does provide some shade too. 

Temperatures are okay, usually around 20ºC, and if the sun comes out closer to 30ºC at times. The plants don't seem to mind... :) 

• Like 1

Tragedy struck one of the supposed mothers growing by the window. A few days ago I was moving plants about and the stem of Passion #1 got severely bent near the base, nearly snapped right off. I taped it and supported the stem with a stick. She seemed to be doing okay until yesterday, when she was severely wilted. Not sure what went wrong, maybe scarification closed too many routes for water to get up the stem from the roots? Anyway, I had to do something quickly or she was going to be dead. :( So I basically chopped her up into cuttings, and I am hoping at least one will root over the next few weeks. 

Bit of a setback there. As for the others, the Frisian Duck is still small, but growing quite quickly now. The Super Kush and Joshua mothers are doing fine, and have both produced multiple cuttings. Some of the Super Kush clones are getting fairly large and vigorous now, I've repotted a couple and they will hopefully be planted outdoors next month.

• Like 1

large.BF97F9AC-D4DB-4CFF-9582-85D1EA464B6D.jpeg
All I’ve done is stuck it in the soil and gave some water when I can be arsed! Real experiment to see what this plant can do with minimal interference 

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Crow River said:

So I basically chopped her up into cuttings, and I am hoping at least one will root over the next few weeks. 

Fingers crossed. I love this thread.

• Like 1

@Lux_Interior, glad you're enjoying it! :) 

I've definitely refined my window sill growing techniques over the past couple of years. Cheaper than running a tent with the same footprint, that's for sure. :yep: Lights are only on for about 4.5 hours now, the rest is daylight.

Anyway, some more news. Just finished dusting the smaller Critical Kush Auto clone with some pollen from last year's Jack Herer (Auto) male (and clones). I left the two uppermost buds, and the rest got pollinated. So hopefully some seeds in a month or so... The original CKA has some huge buds ripening. The uppers have loads of ginger pistils, might be ready to take some upper buds in a few weeks.

Pics next time.

• Like 3

I am loving this grow. Most people don't know this but I started selection for my old northern freak weed on a sill in the loft and grow it their summer and winter also. It was a strange project to inbreed mutations from genetic bottleneck breeding that throw some jaw dropping results. Anyway this is the ancestor of the Short hazey day were my fascination with breeding auto came from. Back when the only auto's on the marked were lowryder & Ruderalis. Both were absolute junk and a 0.5g auto wasn't uncommon and usually moulded before it finished outside. If you mentioned you were growing auto the haters would chase you from forums with pitch falks :pitchfork: and want you banned from growing because you clearly didn't grow anything worth while in their eyes :banned:Autos were hated so much back then. Still here we are and look what I done with my 0.5g lowryder its totally unrecognisable and it all started after a police bust put me on a sill grow in 2007. 

• Like 1

@brock1, good to know you are enjoying the diary. :) 

There's something about the relative simplicity of a window sill grow that really appeals. Obviously I've made mine needlessly complicated, but the point stands... 

I've only recently started growing photos, so autos are most of what I know. Today's autos are different, for sure. There's a diversity of different strains. Some are small and lower yielding, but others can produce hefty plants and buds. This specimen of Critical Kush Auto is definitely in the latter category. So I though maybe combine that with the traits of the Jack Herer I grew last summer, might produce interesting hybrid vigour. We'll see.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Crow River said:

@brock1, good to know you are enjoying the diary. :) 

There's something about the relative simplicity of a window sill grow that really appeals. Obviously I've made mine needlessly complicated, but the point stands... 

I've only recently started growing photos, so autos are most of what I know. Today's autos are different, for sure. There's a diversity of different strains. Some are small and lower yielding, but others can produce hefty plants and buds. This specimen of Critical Kush Auto is definitely in the latter category. So I though maybe combine that with the traits of the Jack Herer I grew last summer, might produce interesting hybrid vigour. We'll see.

What’s the biggest yield from a window cill grow u have had or anyone?