I’m ready to pull my hair out

Wallo

Sounds interesting dude, I might have to give it a try for curiosity sake. In a paper bag in a frost free fridge yeah? Any other details I should be aware of? 

• Like 1

@MindSoup Paper bag, air dry hanging or on a rack, an open jar would even work.

Paper bag seems to be the more experimented method, but people have had success with many methods. 

One person says they got the best result in a closed jar, opening once a week for 6 weeks until RH was within range

I was told not to worry much about fridge ambient RH but it’s definitely important to stay above 40% (A bowl of water in the fridge kept me above range).

yeah needs to be a frost free refrigerator mate. 

An issue I had was using fridge for food & drying. Was opening the door often & the RH would drop quite low so I’d also be opening it to check the RH. Before I learned the bowl of water trick anyways.

Next year I’ll have a dedicated fridge and one of those WiFi hygrometers I can check on my phone so the only time I open the fridge is if it’s out of range. I have a lot of faith in it! 

No indoor growing for me. Patiently waiting for the nice weather lol can’t wait 

• Like 4

Sounds simple enough, I might have to indulge my curiosity on that one. Yeah the not opening the door thing is also pretty crucial with the wine coolers as well.

• Like 1

You can dry faster by 'pumping' the temps a bit harder. Raise it to 25c or so in the wine cooler to get as much moisture in the air as possible for a couple hours, then drop it sharply to about 15c for a half hour or so. The warm air holds a lot more moisture and it leaves the buds faster so you kind of 'fill the tank'. Then by dropping it you reduce its capacity to hold it and it condenses quickly on the nearest surface which are the fridge cooling fins and dehumidifier.

The warm side of the peltier cooler on the fridge is outside so it's not affected by internal temps. This is useful when it's done most of the excess as it slows down the dry. It happens naturally as the dehumidifier switches off below threshold. Being the main source of heat in the fridge you'll see the temp drop quickly once this happens. Hence the fridge kind of 'pumps' the water out to some extent using the above described anyway whether you intervene or not. 

If you want to drop temps faster and increase this effect just switch off the dehumidifier and drop the fridge settings every couple of hours.

It's important to understand that the RH is not a literal amount of water in the air. It's the % capacity of the air that has been reached (ish). A bit like a petrol guage. So 50% at 25c is a lot more water than 50% at 5c.

Another point is that the dehumidifiers inside these wine cooler curers I described don't work much below 15. So you'll find that the fridge fins are doing all the dehumidification work when you drop down below that.

I'll probably duplicate this post on the other thread as I think it's a fact I omitted that people are missing.

Edited by FarmerPalmersNT
  • Like 3