I’m ready to pull my hair out

Wallo

4 hours ago, unity said:

^^ quite an important question here, @Wallo how did they stank prior to chop?

Awsome , still smells nice if I break a bud open , but it’s outshone with the tea smell 

4 hours ago, Fatboy77 said:

Other way round chief.  Warm air has the capacity to hold more moisture than cold air.  That's why if you warm up cold air, the humidity drops, mainly because it's capacity to hold water increases.

Cheers, blonde moment :)

• Like 2

On 08/12/2022 at 7:33 PM, Wallo said:

It’s smells like tea leaves

I had the same problem with my last grow, the crop smelled like dry hay that is ever so slightly moist inside. Like a hot september day in the field. I spent the last year studying and printing papers and writing my own notes, i finally realised it might have been due to excessive temperatures during flower. 
The flavonoids and terpenes are water soluble, which means they get purged with high heat, evaporated. My temperatures towards the end of flower were in the 30s celsius (didnt have good extraction). Ive also found information that these compounds are generated during the dark hours so that they can be spent protecting the plant from certain wavelength light. I didnt do any of that, i just woke up, had a coffee and a joint and after i was done i chopped it. 
After 6 months of curing i could smell the strain okay, but the hay smell never disappeared, thats what prompted me to think its the temps. Curing definitely made it taste a bit better though. (i vape it)

• Like 1

I’d say 60f is fine but 55f is not. Bring the humidity lower than you have for drying at low temps. Drying at 13c at 62% humidity is a recipe for a slow cold rot in my eyes. Slight adjustment to 16-17c and 55% and you’ll be laughing. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DreamCatcher said:

i finally realised it might have been due to excessive temperatures during flower. 

Thats about half of the story. Your plants act like giant heat sinks, as they draw water up from the roots it cools the plants down and they lose the heat/energy through their stomata as moisture. Water availability, or irregular watering, in combination with high temps will cause those issues you mentioned. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, vince noir rock n roll star said:

summer on the stem ..winter off

how do u dry 'em' when off-stem, spread them out on something?

mystic

Edited by mysticriver

i use a hash making screen to lay the nugs on..easy to turn them if needed ,top of my tent is at a constant 22 deg ..the screen i have is sitting on top of the led light ..not too hot ..not too cold ..but steady .

On 09/12/2022 at 9:37 AM, MindSoup said:

I dry at around 14°c in my wine cooler no issues whatsoever. 

Interesting mate. How long does it take you to dry at that temperature?

Lazy

About 12-14 days but I could slow that down to 21 if I wanted. With the wine coolers there's no air exchange, you use a mini dehumidifier to remove moisture incrementally, so within reason you can take as much time as you like.  The lower temperature really helps to preserve the terps and other VCs.  

Personally I can't see 14°  causing an issue with conventional drying either. Your just relying on the air exchange instead of the dehumidifier to remove moisture from the buds, so as long as that air is dryer than the buds it will remove moisture from them. 

But back to the OP, to me it just sounds like they're not ready for the jars yet and need a bit more drying. I've had crops loose there smell for a while only for it to come back again once it's dried enough and then built more once in the jars. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

Just want to say a big thanks to everyone that has taken time to advise me , Iv taken snippets of info from a lot of you and Im pleased to say the stuff I left hanging , after upping the temp slightly has come back to life massively after a trim , no hay/tea smell what so ever , I think it’s ever so slightly over dry as the in the bag is 57%RH  but I can live with that lol I can only conclude that smell is too much moisture still in the bud like some of you have said , again big thanks , best Monday Iv had in a while lol .

Edited by Wallo
  • Like 4

I've been drying at around 18 - 19 c for a few years now and tbh it takes about 6 weeks lol... Next time I'm going for 21c and number 2 or 3 on the str controller :hippy:

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 1:10 PM, MindSoup said:

The lower temperature really helps to preserve the terps and other VCs.

What happens to those terps and volatile cannabinoids once you remove the buds from the cooler? :g:

Not trying to be a dick it just popped into my head when I read that. 

:yinyang:

a lot of flavinoids and terpenes evaporate really quick ..so going for the long dry and cure actually doesnt benefit some strains ..some are best quick dried to experience those terps ..(mainly for extractors) .

weird world innit.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, lildaveham said:

What happens to those terps and volatile cannabinoids once you remove the buds from the cooler?

Good point, hopefully they get trapped in the jars (which is suppose you could also keep in a fridge), the Yuzu has developed a film of terpy oily residue allover the inside of the jar :shock:

• Like 2