I’m ready to pull my hair out

Wallo

As the title says really , I’m at a total loss with drying and curing AGAIN !! 

I just don’t know what I’m doing wrong so here’s the info 

strain meph jammy dodgers #2.

chopped at 11 weeks.

grown in clover mpc with biobiz grow/bloom.

48 hr dark before chop,

hung whole plants minus a few big fans.

temp 55f-60 RH 57-62%. 

fan on lowest setting not aiming at the plants exhaust on lowest too.

so far hung for 18 days , stems don’t snap but buds feel crispy (still a little springy) moisture meter says between 11-13%.

I trimmed and grove bagged a z on day 15 to test RH and it went up to 72 so Iv been burping accordingly , rest is still hung , 

now you know what’s coming ……. It’s smells like tea leaves !! And I know curing like always won’t fix it , what am I doing so wrong ? 

when I open the grove bag it smells half decent but if I get a bud out and smell it’s straight early grey , dry room smells same ,thought I’d nailed it this time with my parameters being almost perfect ,I feel like giving up 

any help at all on this would be great I’m at a loss 

Edited by Wallo

16 minutes ago, Wallo said:

exhaust on lowest

temp 55f-60

more heat ? 18c lowest 

more exhaust ? changes air more frequently (where’s your fresh air from?)

i reckon if it smells like hay/tea, is it composting rather than drying?

:yinyang:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, twigs said:

more heat ? 18c lowest 

more exhaust ? changes air more frequently (where’s your fresh air from?)

i reckon if it smells like hay/tea, is it composting rather than drying?

:yinyang:

I hear ya but most things say the tea/hay smell comes from drying too fast and I’m 100% not in that category , fresh air from basement but is clean and no damp ect .

55F ?

So about 13C in real money. That’s nowhere near enough. Personally I want around 21C for drying with humidity at about 50%.

Get some heat in there, keep the air flow up and make sure you have an oscillating fan moving around or you may get rot. If you’re struggling to keep temps up in a tent check my current grow diary for an inexpensive way to keep heat up and maintain humidity 

all the best

lazy

• Like 1

The Rough Guide To Harvesting And Curing - Harvesting and Curing - UK420

quote....

---

It's worth taking a little time to consider where you are going to dry your bud. This may be an easy decision for some people and difficult for others. Ideally you're looking for an environment which is :

 15 - 18 degrees C and has low air exchange.

 Humidity should be kept below 50.

 Dark.

Whilst drying it is difficult to maintain a low humidity level in the drying area simply because you have wet plant material giving up moisture into the surrouding air. Once the material starts drying out the humidity level in the drying box will lower.

It is important to maintain good extraction from the drying area in order to remove moisture heavy air away from the plants

When the drying temperature is too low then the buds may contract fungus which will ruin your crop. Cooler temps will allow a crop to dry very slowly.

With high drying temperatures there is potential to flash dry the material which will result in a harsh taste and lower quality smoke. The total drying time should be between 10 and 28 days.

----

succes !

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 4

My tuppence worth would be that if the those stems aren't snapping,then the ones within your buds aren't either. Once they are sealed in the bag the water content is contained giving you to much humidity and like Twigs said it's compost not cure!

You could religiously burp jars with the harvest that wet but far easier to just dry more than you think.  If you are drying that cold it'll be hard to quick dry and destroy flavours. Just leave em longer 

• Like 4

Guest anarchycamp
29 minutes ago, Wallo said:

Thanks to all , one more question , is taking too long to dry a thing ? I mean providing no mould ect . 

Apparently not, saw someone mention a month and not finished on here recently.

Got any pictures pre harvest?

16 degree,

60% rh

slow dry no oscillating fans, just extract on low. watch for rot if outside RH is high

AIm for a long dry around 10-14 days.

if it doesnt stink like a tramps sock after this, then give up.  :)

should have said, this is for wet trimmed buds, not hanging whole plants. whole plants will have leaves which will increase RH

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 6

If they were mine,and some may disagree...

I'd wack a couple of radiators in there to get that final moisture out.

Extraction on normal

Once crisp on the outside (24hrs or so at this stage) wack em in some brown paper bags,close the tops,check in 24hrs.

• Like 3

Just now, stu sleeper 20vt said:

Once crisp on the outside (24hrs or so at this stage) wack em in some brown paper bags,close the tops,check in 24hrs.

That's what I do back and forth from paper bag to drying net. Best to trim well at chop imo

Perhaps the plants were too green with chlorophyll, or chopped too early. 

Some strains, and a lot of rogue-ish or outdoor purple flowers never change much. They may smell sweeter growing and taste like hay after drying and curing. There's the odd exception with a pleasant surprise too.

44 minutes ago, anarchycamp said:

Apparently not, saw someone mention a month and not finished on here recently.

Got any pictures pre harvest?

Yeah il try load one up