Crow River

Just now, RUFUS HOUND said:

how many watts is that bulb?

54w LED, draws 46w at the wall. Good because it fits E27 fixtures, I can use a domestic table lamp. Higher wattage bulbs need E40 fixtures, like those used for HID lamps. Main light draws 110w, and is on maximum output now.

• Like 2

did someone say day of the thrippage ..im here ,..how many do you need ..i can do overnight post .

• Like 4

Very generous offer mate, on this occasion (and indeed any other) I'll pass thanks. lol 

• Like 1

Strictly speaking this is a different grow, but the starting point was this Pot Noodle effort, so a quick update on the TBL clones (part cross-posted from my Windowsill thread).

The three TBL clones on the window sill rooted out their pots in just a week, literally two of them had roots poking out of the drainage holes. The third one seemed to be suffering a bit from cold. So they’ve been potted up into a trough planter. I’ve put a heat mat under them, insulated the planter, and will let them veg for a week or two there before moving them to a tent to flower. The fourth of the early TBL clones seemed unhappy at the window and started looking necrotic. Maybe the roots got too cold. That’s been binned. Another TBL clone appears to have rooted and is putting out new growth, so will be potted up soon. 

These clones have also impressed with their vigour on a sometimes chilly window sill. Looking forward to seeing them flower in due course.

large.IMG_20230307_002454.jpeg

• Like 5

Bit of an update on the Noodle girls. We're approaching the end of week 3 of 12/12. I have now stopped giving grow feed, and switched entirely to bloom. I also swapped out the 6500k bulb for a 3000k, which will stay in the tent from now until harvest.

Overall things are going reasonably well. Stretch appears to have slowed or stopped, but I'll wait to see for sure. One top from the ex-Noodle girls has continued to grow skyward, but not yet touching the main light thankfully. I've christened it 'Lofty'. :) Otherwise the ex-Noodles in the trough planter are remarkably well behaved. A few other tops have got taller but all roughly the same height.

The two Noodle girls at the front of the tent are not so tall, understandably. They're doing okay, but I have started to notice this week some yellowing leaves lower down on each. This could just be bleaching from being a bit too close to the LED corn bulb, or it might be that the smaller girls can't sustain so many nodes at once, and nutrients are being diverted to the tops. Or a bit of both. Both girls are affected, but the one on the right of tent seems to be a bit worse. I removed some of the worst affected leaves, and will keep an eye on the situation. If it's bleaching, there's not much I can do about it as the corn bulb doesn't dim. If it's a deficiency then maybe some pruning will have to take place. I'll figure it out soon enough.

Some pics:

The Triffids

large.IMG_20230307_230255.jpeglarge.IMG_20230307_230311.jpeg

Lofty

large.IMG_20230307_230054.jpeg

Noodle 1

large.IMG_20230307_225929.jpeg

Noodle 2

large.IMG_20230307_230035.jpeg

• Like 6

Coming along nicely :thumsup:

Do you have any Earth Worm Castings that you could top dress the pot noodles with?

How light are the Noodle pots each day?

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 2

Think you're onto something with sustaining multiple nodes, mine definitely have benefited from having less for sure.

These are looking great anyhow, the idea you've gone for is really popping off now!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shumroom said:

Coming along nicely :thumsup:

Do you have any Earth Worm Castings that you could top dress the pot noodles with?

How light are the Noodle pots each day?

Atb

The plants are tied and tucked behind the screen, it's not possible to lift the pots any more. What I can say is that the soil in both pots and the planter behind gets bone dry after two days. So at a minimum I have to water every two days, occasionally if they feel very dry I'll do more often. 

My fertiliser regime is very basic: liquid chemical salt based ferts. I had issues earlier with leaves getting quite dark with the nitrogen being a bit too much, so diluted my grow feed more. I'm now switched exclusively to bloom feed, but only yesterday. Which makes me think that this might be an issue of light bleaching, as well as possibly some deficiencies at lower nodes. 

I did top dress with some extra compost a few weeks ago, maybe I should do something like that again. I would worry that worm castings or similar might be a bit too 'hot' for such small pots...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, blerie420 said:

Think you're onto something with sustaining multiple nodes, mine definitely have benefited from having less for sure.

These are looking great anyhow, the idea you've gone for is really popping off now!

Vertical growing seems to make very efficient use of a small space. Some challenges too, like the sheer amount of foliage and flower nodes. 

If the lower nodes continue to deteriorate I might just have to get a bit more ruthless with pruning lower down...

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 1

That's the beauty of using EWC,

it's a nice low strength way to top things up without the risk of burning things :thumsup:

Atb

• Like 3