Somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong!

Slow jam

55 minutes ago, JonDaMon said:

every other day with coco is not enough. 

They need feeding every day if not multiple times per day to get The best out of your coco. 

11L pots I feed 3x a day and 1x during the night cycle to keep saturation levels high enough. 

Done a 3x3 scrog with 1 plant in 7Litres of coco and that was feeding 5x during day and 2x during night to keep saturation high enough. 

When coco dries out it’s EC sky rockets quickly. 

min once per day but I would say if you only plan on feeding every other day you would want something like a 30L pot for a 3ft plant to mitigate the time between feedings and stop it drying slightly. 

If you can’t feed min once per day either increase pot size or ditch coco. 

I feed 2 ltrs every other day. The pots have run off as required. When the plants sort them selves I have no deficiencies and the coco doesn't dry out. So if they are healthy why do I need to change? 

I've read about multiple waterings per day and would be prepared to change if i thought it would benefit them but as it is I don't see it would...

• Like 1

If you've just potted up you do not need to be watering every day, let alone multiple times, that's for fully rooted plants and generally in flower, imo.

I only do once a day cus I hand water and I'm lazy.

I can leave plants 3-5 days after a pot up before I need to water again, temp dependant.

When you 1st pot up you want to let the pots dry out a little before watering again, so that the roots will go searching and fill the pot better. If you over water at 1st you're just going to stress your plants more.

Mix your feed to 1-1.2 ec(depending how big) 6.0ph and chill out until the pots dry out abit.

Oh ye get a picture up or no1 can really help you because it could be a multitude of things.

ETA. Canna pro should be buffered, I use it with no problems but if you're worried next time just pre soak the medium beforehand with a feed.

ATB mate

:smokin:

Edited by Shaggy1
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Slow jam said:

I feed 2 ltrs every other day. The pots have run off as required. When the plants sort them selves I have no deficiencies and the coco doesn't dry out. So if they are healthy why do I need to change? 

I've read about multiple waterings per day and would be prepared to change if i thought it would benefit them but as it is I don't see it would...

you’re here asking about why it’s happening and I’ve offered you an option to help. 

when you induce flowering you reduce the daylight hours causing the coco to stay moist for longer. 

take the advice or don’t I don’t mind either way just adding some info that could help you. 

all my pics in my album are from automated feeding grows using coco. 

I’ve done every other day, every day etc hand feeding. 

with coco automated is the way to go and multiple feeds. 

just because you’re getting good runoff once every 2 days doesn’t mean the coco isn’t losing too much moisture and increasing the EC on you. 

it has a tendency of creeping up. So even if you don’t see any issues every other day during veg it can hit you around week 5/6 with a massive spike in runoff EC which has caused a toxic salt build in your coco. 

Brand of coco doesn’t matter either.  

I’ve used Brick, Canna Pro, canna natural, B’CUZZ coco, century grow systems coco, plant magic coco, reptile coco, they all pretty much perform the same when you automate them. 

None of these have I ever buffered other than using an A/B mix to plant in. 

11 minutes ago, Shaggy1 said:

If you've just potted up you do not need to be watering every day, let alone multiple times, that's for fully rooted plants and generally in flower, imo.

I only do once a day cus I hand water and I'm lazy.

I can leave plants 3-5 days after a pot up before I need to water again, temp dependant.

When you 1st pot up you want to let the pots dry out a little before watering again, so that the roots will go searching and fill the pot better. If you over water at 1st you're just going to stress your plants more.

Mix your feed to 1-1.2 ec(depending how big) 6.0ph and chill out until the pots dry out abit.

Oh ye get a picture up or no1 can really help you because it could be a multitude of things.

ETA. Canna pro should be buffered, I use it with no problems but if you're worried next time just pre soak the medium beforehand with a feed.

ATB mate

:smokin:

i agree after potting up. 

i always allow slight dry back after potting up BUT you can still feed daily after potting up too. 

• Like 1

One last thing to think about. 

when coco is allowed to dry out marginally it’s pH changes. 

then you feed at let’s say 6.0 when your coco could have decreased to around 5.2. 

you feed and it comes up to around 5.7 

then it dries over the next 48 hours and reduces down to 4.9. You feed 6.0 and it increases to 5.4 

see how every feed it’s reducing. You can watch this with slurry tests using distilled water to measure. 

i used To think the same as you until July 2021 when I decided to automate after 12 years of hand feeding and doing it every other day etc. 

I’ve been fully automated for a year and im

never going back to hand feeding. 

make of it what you will. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the advice. I see what your saying no one has ever explained it like that to me before. 

I will try daily waterings and see how it works out.

Unfortunately I can't automate things at the moment.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Slow jam said:

Thanks for the advice. I see what your saying no one has ever explained it like that to me before. 

I will try daily waterings and see how it works out.

Unfortunately I can't automate things at the moment.

thats ok. Did you say you’re in 8litre pots?

are they air pots? Or full plastic or fabric etc? Sorry if you already said. 

Also fyi you can automate at lower EC and get zero runoff and still be ok so don’t rule out automation if you’re concerned with runoff and where it will go. 

• Like 1

I'm in fabric pots.

My concern with automation is leaks. Mine is in the attic. Friends of mine have numerous floods over the years with autopot valves sticking etc. 

Something more to research 

I did read about hempy buckets and they seem an easy option as they work purely passively so no reservoir to worry about  the washing up tubs I put my pots in would be perfect for catching run off etc. I was using 4 x 12ltr pots before but they took a while to fill the pots and space so dropped down to 8ltrs with 6 plants as they took less time.

Maybe I'll go back to 12ltr next time and run a hempy or 2 along side the normal pots and see how I go.

Definitely food for thought

Edited by Slow jam
Edit
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Slow jam said:

I'm in fabric pots.

My concern with automation is leaks. Mine is in the attic. Friends of mine have numerous floods over the years with autopot valves sticking etc. 

Something more to research 

I did read about hempy buckets and they seem an easy option as they work purely passively so no reservoir to worry about  the washing up tubs I put my pots in would be perfect for catching run off etc. I was using 4 x 12ltr pots before but they took a while to fill the pots and space so dropped down to 8ltrs with 6 plants as they took less time.

Maybe I'll go back to 12ltr next time and run a hempy or 2 along side the normal pots and see how I go.

Definitely food for thought

i still need to post about my automated system but its pretty simple. 

as long as you create a back pressure release valve you don’t get runaway. 

once I’m done this week with clean down etc I’ll take some pics and post them. 

if you check my album you kind of see my automated system lol 

it’s literally 

1x pump

1x wave maker 

delivery tube from pump to delivery ring, then 4mm feeders from the ring to each pot (4x in each for 11L)

Timer for pump that can be set in mins. 

i generally feed for 1minute which creates enough runoff for an 11L pot with 4 feeders in each pot using an 1100L per hour pump. 

when you’re ready to automate we can work something out for you pretty cheap. 

once I had changed mine about 10x I was happy with it but it’s easy enough to replicate now lol  

keep us posted with how daily feeding goes for now. 

2 minutes ago, JonDaMon said:

i still need to post about my automated system but its pretty simple. 

as long as you create a back pressure release valve you don’t get runaway. 

once I’m done this week with clean down etc I’ll take some pics and post them. 

if you check my album you kind of see my automated system lol 

it’s literally 

1x pump

1x wave maker 

delivery tube from pump to delivery ring, then 4mm feeders from the ring to each pot (4x in each for 11L)

Timer for pump that can be set in mins. 

i generally feed for 1minute which creates enough runoff for an 11L pot with 4 feeders in each pot using an 1100L per hour pump. 

when you’re ready to automate we can work something out for you pretty cheap. 

once I had changed mine about 10x I was happy with it but it’s easy enough to replicate now lol  

keep us posted with how daily feeding goes for now. 

Will do, thanks again for your advice.

Will start daily feeds tomorrow and see how I go.

• Like 1

Sorry to butt into your post.

I'm having trouble too. I've potted my girls from 3l to 9l airpots. That was 6 days ago. They don't look to have perked up. Leaves bending over. Looking sad to be honest.

I'm in canna coco professional +.

Using canna coco a+b, calmag, Shogun katana roots, Shogun zenzyme.

I'm giving them an ec of 1.3 and ph to 5.8.

Using a migro aray 4 full spectrum + Red LED (250w). On 100% setting at 10 inches from canopy.

Got 5" outtake fan connected to a STR fan controller. Rootit heat mat connected to an inkbird thermo set at 22c.

An oil rad inside my 1.2m x 60cm tent connected to thermostat set at 24c. 

I've been watering day on day off since pot up to 9l. Do you think that's not enough? They are taking 2.5 - 3l of feed to runoff.

Got a few pictures to show.

large.20220916_162030.jpglarge.20220916_162021.jpglarge.20220916_161626.jpglarge.20220916_161616.jpglarge.20220916_161551.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JonDaMon said:

right now I would say back your light off about 6”  And feed once a day 

Just fed them an hour ago. I'll lift the light higher and see how I get on. 

Thanks