Fast cure?

mystic_roots

High times done an article on the drying process in the late 90's.

It was wet trimmed bud hung on roughly foot long branches, 20-21° for 4/5 days, cut buds from branches then place in plastic bags (like the white ones on rolls) fill up to half way then fold the top over loosely and place in a closed brown paper bag in a closet for the next 4/5 days opening daily to shake the buds, as the days go on the bouquet gets stronger and stronger and it's not long before the moisture in the bud is drawn out in the plastic bag, they end up nicely dried and spongie/springy to the touch. Once happy with the bouquet they get jarred.

Have tried it successfully back then but have also seen crops ruined by not drying the bud enough before bagging or 26/27° closets.

Interesting, do they have to be brown paper bags or can i get away with the small clear one's on a roll? Might bag them tomrrow if they'll do the trick

Would imagine any colour would do if it's in a closet :) think brown paper shopping bags were the norm in the US back then, large McDonald's bags done us :) the idea of the paper bag is to stop the moisture escaping rapidly like what people do straight into paper bags with small buds.

Tried to search for the article but they don't like you finding stuff from the 1990's, lost my high times collection but I'm sure some of the older heads on here will remember it, someone might pop in with a copy of it :)

Make sure they're dry!!

1 hour ago, Head Rose'n'Tail said:

Would imagine any colour would do if it's in a closet :) think brown paper shopping bags were the norm in the US back then, large McDonald's bags done us :) the idea of the paper bag is to stop the moisture escaping rapidly like what people do straight into paper bags with small buds.

Tried to search for the article but they don't like you finding stuff from the 1990's, lost my high times collection but I'm sure some of the older heads on here will remember it, someone might pop in with a copy of it :)

Make sure they're dry!!

Ah right, for some reason i thought they should be plastic so i best find somewhere that sells paper bags and quick!

• Like 1

@mystic_roots

Don't buy them just pop into your local maccas and walk straight up to the counter and ask for a couple of bags because the drive thru put your whole order in one bag and you need to split it up. Most people will just give you 2 straight off, be cheeky ask for one more :yep: voila fee paper bags without having to buy shit food.

Even better if there's a KFC and/or Burger King nextdoor, you can stock right up in a couple of mins without having to spend a penny.

They're good for a fair few uses as well before the insides start looking ropey from all the resin.

Edited by NezA
Tag
  • Like 7

16 hours ago, Devon Cream said:

you don’t wanna be jarring it yet till it’s dry middle bud stem snap your end up opening them and releasing the horrible hay smell

bro can u just expand on this a little - as ive had some get that hay smell

are u saying it happens if u jar too early?

mystic

14 hours ago, Head Rose'n'Tail said:

20-21° for 4/5 days, cut buds from branches then place in plastic bags

is there a visual/feel? to tell me when is the time to bag 'em

mystic

Just now, mysticriver said:

is there a visual/feel? to tell me when is the time to bag 'em

mystic

They shrink a bit and go kinda crispy but they're still pliable with a wee squeeze :) too much heat and they'll frazzle into popcorn and the outer bud will be too dry to let the moisture inside the bud wick out, the closet if I remember should be around 18°

• Like 2

Everyone's different and you just do what works for you. Considering g your temps and humidty levels. Yes ideally low temps and a long slow dry is what we want but sometimes our weather stops that and outwith our control

Id suggest Buying those hygrometers and put them j side your jar and if need be put boveda 62 packs inside, if you're seeing humidty sky high on your daily burps then remove all from the jar and judt sit on top of newspaper for an hour or 3 and put back in jars and see how the next 24hr go 

I'm finding mine are quite crispy on the outside but still have that springy feeling when compressing the buds but that's fine for me to remove from the stalks and put in cardboard show boxes for the next 48 to 60hr before jarring.

Edited by Darknight420710
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, mystic_roots said:

Ah right, for some reason i thought they should be plastic so i best find somewhere that sells paper bags and quick!

Morrisons shopping bags

Edited by Revive
  • Like 1

Just now, Revive said:

Morrisons shopping bags

You mean those brown ones that have a clear panel for fruit and veg? 

• Like 1

thanks guys

this gets my understanding together 

because, as the other guy said, we do all that growing, and the drying process can make or break the bud

ive got ac for the next 1, and im even prepared to go in swingin' n take the jigsaw to the kitchen door ffs -

thats how its got me...

mystic

12 hours ago, mystic_roots said:

You'll need both! :)

Place them in the plastic bags first

close it loosely then place that plastic bag into a bigger paper bag

fold the paper bag closed then put in closet

The plastic bag makes the bud sweat out its moisture but being in the closed paper bag stops the moisture from escaping too quickly, opening it regularly refreshes the air in both bags.

Just now, mystic_roots said:

You mean those brown ones that have a clear panel for fruit and veg? 

No mate there white paper bags found at the checkout.. to carry your shopping in 

Edited by Revive