Dinosaur

Hashslag

Just now, KC said:

Now if you're talking Amiga then yes I'd definitely like one of those again, emulators just don't cut it for me. Thinking back now I did love my Snes, I sold it to get some money together to buy a Pc but I missed it so much I had to buy another one soon after.

Yeah, emulation does take away a little of the 'old magic', so to speak. The Megadrive mini though, that's a great little unit. Proper control pads, and a wonderful library of games (after hack)... plus the save states are just SUCH a good thing, especially at this time of my life where I simply don't have time to start over every time someone calls 'DAAAAAD' from the other side of the house!

• Like 2

Just now, KC said:

Now if you're talking Amiga then yes I'd definitely like one of those again, emulators just don't cut it for me. Thinking back now I did love my Snes, I sold it to get some money together to buy a Pc but I missed it so much I had to buy another one soon after.

Yep 100%. Nothing beats the original hardware. I look at emulators and their roms as preservation tools..

I went to an all day summer festival on the gower penninsula back in 2002 and they had a boot / jumble sale going on. Picked up an amiga, extra disk drive ( great for x-copy!), commadore monitor and joysticks for the princely sum of a tenner. bagin! It's filthy so it needs a good clean and ' retro bright' inside and out. a job for this week too :)

toki

Edited by toki
spelling
  • Like 2

@toki which amiga is it? Is the monitor a 1084s? I had one of those, I was the envy of my mates. That modulator sticking out the back of the A500 was unsightly lol 

• Like 1

Just now, KC said:

@toki which amiga is it? Is the monitor a 1084s? I had one of those, I was the envy of my mates. That modulator sticking out the back of the A500 was unsightly lol 

Alrighty @KC

It's an A500.   I'm not sure about the commadore monitor, so I'll check it and let you know . Its in storage at the mo in garage I'm ashamed to say..

Yep those tv modulators were a pain though a necessary evil if a monitor wasn't available. I bet the amiga display looked lush back then on a monitor..

toki

• Like 2

Just now, toki said:

Alrighty @KC

It's an A500.   I'm not sure about the commadore monitor, so I'll check it and let you know . Its in storage at the mo in garage I'm ashamed to say..

Yep those tv modulators were a pain though a necessary evil if a monitor wasn't available. I bet the amiga display looked lush back then on a monitor..

toki

I had an Amiga for a short time, but I was a console guy and couldn't really get to grips with it (plus, I had fuck all games!) We called it the Bananamiga because it had yellowed and had a distinct bend haha. Used to love playing on my mates ones though, First Samurai and Weird Dreams spring to mind, as well as Speedball2 of course, and Robocod... oh and Lemmings... and Sensi Soccer.....

• Like 1

Just now, Hashslag said:

I had an Amiga for a short time, but I was a console guy and couldn't really get to grips with it (plus, I had fuck all games!) We called it the Bananamiga because it had yellowed and had a distinct bend haha. Used to love playing on my mates ones though, First Samurai and Weird Dreams spring to mind, as well as Speedball2 of course, and Robocod... oh and Lemmings... and Sensi Soccer.....

I had mine for about 9 months before i jumped ship , i was constantly disappointed with a lot of the arcade conversions / ports.

Some great original games ( as mentioned above)and ports on there.  Getting games was easy as I was lucky enough to be in circles which swapped and copied games. I did buy the odd original title for it too.

toki

• Like 1

Omg the games you forget, I can't remember Weird Dreams but those others rocked. We had it good :) 

Monkey Island was a cracker!

I used to get loads of games as the place where I used to go abroad to stay with family didn't really appreciate copyright laws. You could go to the computer shop and they'd copy the games there for you (cracked too)

Edited by KC
copies
  • Like 2

haha, this thread brings back some memories used to be massive cue in my brothers bedroom to get on the amiga for a game of jimmy whites whirlwind snooker and massive leagues of sensible soccer when i was a kid, loved those days! nights! lol 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, qualitynotquantity said:

haha, this thread brings back some memories used to be massive cue in my brothers bedroom to get on the amiga for a game of jimmy whites whirlwind snooker and massive leagues of sensible soccer when i was a kid, loved those days! nights! lol 

Oh my god, Jimmy White's! I fucking loved that game, when you left the game unplayed for too long the balls started making faces at you lol

• Like 2

Ah the Amiga days, swos was played to death, loved zool, lost vikings, micro machines, jaguar xj220, monkey island. So many games. My brother had the 600 and we got dodgy games from the market. 

I had my nes and then onto thr snes during this time. Loved those consoles so much fun to be had. Although some games for me should remain memories as they haven’t held up well. 

loved syphon filter on the ps1 but it isn’t as fun to play now. 

I am by my own admission a gamer and have been since I can remember, jumped from console to pc and back again more times than I care to remember, don’t get as much time before to play due to the work/ life balance. So my gaming time is more social than gaming really. I play with mates on ps5 or pc as they all live further afield so nipping out to meet isn’t an option

i rarely get the time for single player games these days. Too many games too little time

• Like 4

A guy I know who used to work at Nintendo magazine, now writes books based on consoles, I did a little work for him few years back and he dropped off copy of his nes encyclopaedia in for me cracking books he does. Basically covers every game for the console. 

• Like 3

On 13/07/2022 at 4:00 PM, KC said:

Hey @KC

I finally had a look at that monitor : It's an Acorn RGB monitor with some writing on the side (WJEC) which suggests it was from a school :)

toki

• Like 1

Microvitec cub were the popular monitors for the bbc and archimedes. 

This thread has made me miss my old Amiga A2000 (that was technically a b2000) .

• Like 2

Every time i used a bbc computer , usually at school, it was paired with a cub monitor.

@monkeypig That's some serious hardware for the time. What type of software where you using on it?

toki

• Like 1

On 13/07/2022 at 4:19 PM, Hashslag said:

Speedball2

Best game ever made.

I bought a raspberrypi with several emulators and thousands of games. Was fun for sure going on a little retro buzz, my son loved king of monsters on the neo geo in particular. The games never looked quite right on a hi def tv though, f-zero in particular looked weird as fuck.

• Like 2