Dinosaur

Hashslag

Self-confessed dinosaur here - zero interest in most modern gaming (PS, XBox yada yada) although don't mind a bit of Nintendo switch. Still playing Super Famicom, Megadrive, PC Engine and Neo Geo (X), as well as Gameboy for on the move. Just love those golden era consoles/games. Currently playing Secret of Mana, Quackshot, Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition and Neo Turf Masters golf. Any other old fogies here who refuse to join the 21st century? lol

• Like 2

The oldest game I play is from 2006 (medieval 2 on pc) and I play Skyrim from 2011 so no where near your era of gaming, I thought I was a dinosaur lol I remember playing mario kart on the snes (super famicom) at my mates house and thought it looked really bad, the Nintendo 64 was out at the time. I can't imagine how bad it would look now.

I think as a gamer you're really missing out if you never get to play Skyrim, it's still very popular now, just check out the amount of content it still gets on youtube. 

• Like 5

Call yourself a dinosaur? I'm still playing pong with a paddle and when I feel high tech I dust of the 48k ZX Speccie and a bit of Jet set willy or Sabre Wulf:)

Anyone got a working kempston joystick interface?

• Like 7

Just now, KC said:

The oldest game I play is from 2006 (medieval 2 on pc) and I play Skyrim from 2011 so no where near your era of gaming, I thought I was a dinosaur lol I remember playing mario kart on the snes (super famicom) at my mates house and thought it looked really bad, the Nintendo 64 was out at the time. I can't imagine how bad it would look now.

I think as a gamer you're really missing out if you never get to play Skyrim, it's still very popular now, just check out the amount of content it still gets on youtube. 

Haha! Yeah, have to agree that the original Mario Kart hasn't aged well, but then it has been 30 years :) Mario Kart 8 on switch is something else, phenomenal fun. I'm not bothered with missing out on stuff really - I probably don't play enough to make me think I'm missing anything. I like to keep my rose-tinted specs on and stick to those lovely old RPG's and platformers, and 2D fighters too of course.

• Like 1

Just now, monkeypig said:

Call yourself a dinosaur? I'm still playing pong with a paddle and when I feel high tech I dust of the 48k ZX Speccie and a bit of Jet set willy or Sabre Wulf:)

Man, pong with a paddle is about as pure as gaming gets lol Good on ya :)

• Like 2

Mate when they started putting double shoulder buttons and joysticks on console controllers it all got a bit much for me lollol

Mrs Pump's got a PS4 which I've never so much as looked at, it's beyond me.

Fuck I couldn't get my head around walking about in gta3 lol let alone hoofing molatovs at prossies lol

Gimme a bit of Zelda or Pokémon on the GBA sp and I'll be happy though.

Consoles I own: NES, SNES, master system and a megadrive2 , Gameboy sp and my pride and joy which is a two owner (my dad and I) from new Atari cx 2600.

:yinyang:

• Like 3

For my age I'm quite a luddite tbf lol most technology just pisses me off. 

I'm not much of a Gamer either, but every now and then I do a run of Dungeon Keeper for nostalgia, absolutely brilliant game. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, monkeypig said:

No interface but I've plenty of DE-9 joysticks from my c64 days somewhere around ere...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hashslag said:

Self-confessed dinosaur here - zero interest in most modern gaming (PS, XBox yada yada) although don't mind a bit of Nintendo switch. Still playing Super Famicom, Megadrive, PC Engine and Neo Geo (X), as well as Gameboy for on the move. Just love those golden era consoles/games. Currently playing Secret of Mana, Quackshot, Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition and Neo Turf Masters golf. Any other old fogies here who refuse to join the 21st century? lol

Proud to be an old fogy!

I can't be bothered with any of the 'new boys on the block' ; playstations or x boxes though I think the graphics are impressive on them .

I prefer the pixel art in the old console games from the mid to late 80s ;there really is something special about it  and the music or chip tunes in them.

I've been collecting for the PC engine , super famicom and megadrive since they came out. They are all Japanese versions of the console running through RGB scart cables connected to a crt tv ;they all look n sound great.  They all seem to have a personality of their own as you can tell what console you are playing on just by looking at the graphics or by hearing their music.:magic:

I had a Neo Geo with 4 games but stupidly sold it in London to CEX around 2004, though I still have a JAMMA Neo Geo with a few carts as well as a load of other arcade PCBs including; strider, golden axe, rtype, altered beast and streetfighter zero 2 etc.  I was lucky enough to get these when they were being sold for next to nothing from my local arcade and further along the coast in Barry Island.

Love all the retro stuff from the 80s including the computers. I've got some and they still work. The tapes load without a problem :guitar:

Currently playing shadow dancer on the MD , Rtype on the pc engine and gradius 3 on the super famicom ( love me shoot em ups)

toki

• Like 3

Aaah man memories! 

The golden axe/streets of rage split cart was a firm favourite with young Bilge!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MindSoup said:

For my age I'm quite a luddite tbf lol most technology just pisses me off. 

I'm not much of a Gamer either, but every now and then I do a run of Dungeon Keeper for nostalgia, absolutely brilliant game. 

That is a belter of a game, superb.

Still love playing starcraft and return to castle wolfenstein on the pc.

toki

• Like 2

@toki yes man! Love it. R-Type on the Engine is a great port. I love that game but it doesn't love me lol I'm not all that great at side-scrollers - I've got Parodius Da! and Salamander as well, and I'm equally shit at those too! Salamander is tommy tough though, I don't feel too bad about that one :D

I've got a special place in my heart for the PC Engine, that little teeny tiny box of Japanese bonkersness! I had one when I was younger, and then sold it as I wasn't really using it so much. Sold the lot, boxed with some great games (Super Star Soldier, PC Genjin 2, Toilet Kids, Altered Beast and some others) for £130. You'd pay that just for bloody Toilet Kids now. :wallbash: In the end, I managed to buy another console and when it arrived from JP, honestly I don't think the thing had ever been used. Not a scuff nor a mark on it anywhere. Absolute score. Then started to gradually get some games in but it's a slow process, and I'm in no hurry to keep buying for it tbh. Prices have all gone silly. Same with the SFC. I don't have many games for it tbh, just don't have the spare cash to splurge any more. Luckily the Snes emulator on Switch has come to my rescue a bit. 

The Neo Geo X I have, not the original AES unfortunately. The X is something of an anomaly though, have you heard of it? It came out a few years back, made by some shitty company called Tommo, but licensed by SNK. It's a handheld console that basically just runs roms. I jailbroke it and now have a huge library of games which is wicked. The handheld sits into a dock which is a replica of the AES, and I have two full size joysticks as well. It only cost me £100 brand new. Then Tommo and SNK had a massive falling out, presumably SNK weren't over the moon with Tommo's side of things (slightly below par manufacturing is my guess!), and the whole project got shelved. Glad I got one when I did, even though it is a bit shit really (games still work so...!)

But yeah, retro games FTW. Even if it is running on pure nostalgia and a refusal to admit defeat lol

Also - wasn't Toki a game on Megadrive?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BilgePump said:

Mate when they started putting double shoulder buttons and joysticks on console controllers it all got a bit much for me lollol

Mrs Pump's got a PS4 which I've never so much as looked at, it's beyond me.

Fuck I couldn't get my head around walking about in gta3 lol let alone hoofing molatovs at prossies lol

Gimme a bit of Zelda or Pokémon on the GBA sp and I'll be happy though.

Consoles I own: NES, SNES, master system and a megadrive2 , Gameboy sp and my pride and joy which is a two owner (my dad and I) from new Atari cx 2600.

I've recently started playing Link to the Past again on the Switch SNES emulator. Oh, the nostalgia! :D 

• Like 3

Just now, Hashslag said:

I've recently started playing Link to the Past again on the Switch SNES emulator. Oh, the nostalgia! :D 

If it gets too boring for you, there's now a LTTP randomiser lol

• Like 1