Dinosaur

Hashslag

Just now, SkyRider said:

If it gets too boring for you, there's now a LTTP randomiser lol

I don't even understand what that would do lol

• Like 2

Just now, Hashslag said:

I don't even understand what that would do lol

All items get switched around. So all item locations are the same, but the items at them are not. So you can't play the game in the usual way, you have to just play it with what gets given. You could end up with the upgraded master sword straight away or wait till the end to get your lamp. I think they make sure it doesn't completely break the game, so you can still complete each seed. It's meant for the people that speedrun the game really. They know all the item locations and the paths to go extremely well, so to be a challenge, they randomise the items.
I could only barely just complete LTTP myself and can't really remember many of the locations as I've not played it for years, the normal game would still be more than hard enough for me lol

• Like 1

Just now, SkyRider said:

All items get switched around. So all item locations are the same, but the items at them are not. So you can't play the game in the usual way, you have to just play it with what gets given. You could end up with the upgraded master sword straight away or wait till the end to get your lamp. I think they make sure it doesn't completely break the game, so you can still complete each seed. It's meant for the people that speedrun the game really. They know all the item locations and the paths to go extremely well, so to be a challenge, they randomise the items.
I could only barely just complete LTTP myself and can't really remember many of the locations as I've not played it for years, the normal game would still be more than hard enough for me lol

Fuck me, likewise! I can't remember shit anyway!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hashslag said:

@toki yes man! Love it. R-Type on the Engine is a great port. I love that game but it doesn't love me lol I'm not all that great at side-scrollers - I've got Parodius Da! and Salamander as well, and I'm equally shit at those too! Salamander is tommy tough though, I don't feel too bad about that one :D

They are all pretty challanging games and cracking ports on the PC engine. Really well done and nice n colourful.

Salamander is a toughie no doubt there.

Side scrollers or vertical shooters , I'll try n play them all. Plenty of great shooters to be found.

toki

11 hours ago, Hashslag said:

I've got a special place in my heart for the PC Engine, that little teeny tiny box of Japanese bonkersness! I had one when I was younger, and then sold it as I wasn't really using it so much. Sold the lot, boxed with some great games (Super Star Soldier, PC Genjin 2, Toilet Kids, Altered Beast and some others) for £130. You'd pay that just for bloody Toilet Kids now. :wallbash: In the end, I managed to buy another console and when it arrived from JP, honestly I don't think the thing had ever been used. Not a scuff nor a mark on it anywhere. Absolute score. Then started to gradually get some games in but it's a slow process, and I'm in no hurry to keep buying for it tbh. Prices have all gone silly. Same with the SFC. I don't have many games for it tbh, just don't have the spare cash to splurge any more. Luckily the Snes emulator on Switch has come to my rescue a bit. 

100% self confessed PC engine nut/enthusiast here ever since I saw it in the pages of computer and video games ; just looking at those screen shots blew me away with the quality to be found on it.

Collecting for it in the last couple of years has become prohibitively expensive as it is with all of these consoles including these JAMMA PCBs I used to collect; The prices are completely outrageous for them yet the console prices are not too bad in comparison.  It might be worth checking out an 'everdrive' for these machines now due to the game prices being sky high.

Since then and via ebay ,mostly from Japan, I've managed to bag myself a few more boxed PC engines ( absolutely mint box and console )including a DUO Rx and the legendary Supergrafx and some amazing arcade PCBs.

Have you converted your engine to output RGB scart with the colour 'booster' / amplifier? Check out a you tuber called voultar, it will all be explained. Great channel.

Also check out another you tuber called chris covell - genius level assembly coder for the engine who has programmed (hacked)some very nifty stuff on it including a full screen, no up n down scroll version of rtype, which is also a reduced sprite flicker version if played on the supergrafx. Absolutely amazing stuff:magic:

I don't have many games for the super famicom( about 6) and have far more on the Megadrive ( about 30). There are still some bargins to be found on it though, recently payed 12 quid each for columns and super monaco GP ( yeh I know its not great) on ebay ( uk , ex console shop).

Do you use a CRT TV for these consoles? I can't play em on modern tv's as I think they look terrible on them, so I had to go to Cardiff to get a sony crt , via e bay, which is bloody marvelous!

toki

The Neo Geo X I have, not the original AES unfortunately. The X is something of an anomaly though, have you heard of it? It came out a few years back, made by some shitty company called Tommo, but licensed by SNK. It's a handheld console that basically just runs roms. I jailbroke it and now have a huge library of games which is wicked. The handheld sits into a dock which is a replica of the AES, and I have two full size joysticks as well. It only cost me £100 brand new. Then Tommo and SNK had a massive falling out, presumably SNK weren't over the moon with Tommo's side of things (slightly below par manufacturing is my guess!), and the whole project got shelved. Glad I got one when I did, even though it is a bit shit really (games still work so...!)

That sounds awesome. I have seen it in my console adventures thanks to you tube but never anywhere else.

The Neo Geo and it's games certainly have a unique flavour and I truly regret selling the console and the 4 games I had for it ; super spy, fatal fury, last resort and burning fight. I bought it off a mate for 80 quid many moons ago , who had it as an xmas present in 1992. I dread to think how much that lot was back then but it was wayyyyy too expensive for me.

Luckily I've got a JAMMA '2 slot' Neo Geo MVS with metal slug, samurai showdown 4 and puzzle bobble. I did have a mint one slot version( bought from my local arcade) which was comparitively small but regretably and stupidly sold that too...

Yep, love the Neo geo too :)

toki

But yeah, retro games FTW. Even if it is running on pure nostalgia and a refusal to admit defeat lol

Also - wasn't Toki a game on Megadrive?

Yep retro all the way for me , partly nostalgic and partly the genuine apppreciation for such brilliantly crafted games on totally different hardware platforms.

I dunno, but the modern consoles  and their games, though technically fantastic,  all feel the same and lack this 'personality' I mentioned before. meh.

Toki was indeed a megadrive game which was an arcade conversion or reworked version of it. I think the Amiga version is stand out and better as it is a direct port of the coin op - really impressive!

My avitar doesn't come from this game though, it's from a character in a 1985/6 Japanese anime series, but can you guess which one? :)

Going to 'retro brite' one of my pc engines today as the weather at the mo is perfect for it.

toki

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BilgePump said:

No interface but I've plenty of DE-9 joysticks from my c64 days somewhere around ere...

:yinyang:

I got ps4 in 2015, changed controller once a year ,65 euros a piece. Am definitely not getting ps5 just due Sony controllers

2 hours ago, toki said:

100% self confessed PC engine nut/enthusiast here ever since I saw it in the pages of computer and video games ; just looking at those screen shots blew me away with the quality to be found on it.

Collecting for it in the last couple of years has become prohibitively expensive as it is with all of these consoles including these JAMMA PCBs I used to collect; The prices are completely outrageous for them yet the console prices are not too bad in comparison.  It might be worth checking out an 'everdrive' for these machines now due to the game prices being sky high.

Since then and via ebay ,mostly from Japan, I've managed to bag myself a few more boxed PC engines ( absolutely mint box and console )including a DUO Rx and the legendary Supergrafx and some amazing arcade PCBs.

Have you converted your engine to output RGB scart with the colour 'booster' / amplifier? Check out a you tuber called voultar, it will all be explained. Great channel.

Also check out another you tuber called chris covell - genius level assembly coder for the engine who has programmed (hacked)some very nifty stuff on it including a full screen, no up n down scroll version of rtype, which is also a reduced sprite flicker version if played on the supergrafx. Absolutely amazing stuff:magic:

I don't have many games for the super famicom( about 6) and have far more on the Megadrive ( about 30). There are still some bargins to be found on it though, recently payed 12 quid each for columns and super monaco GP ( yeh I know its not great) on ebay ( uk , ex console shop).

Do you use a CRT TV for these consoles? I can't play em on modern tv's as I think they look terrible on them, so I had to go to Cardiff to get a sony crt , via e bay, which is bloody marvelous!

toki

I've got a Core Grafx, and I bought a plug and play RGB scart cable from some guy who made them. Although it's a bit iffy now and for the time being, I'm back to using the standard connection through the side port. Originally I had bought a Tennokoe 2 memory bank add on, which can be used to create an RGB output...I just didn't get around to making it. I'm not very electronicky!

Top job on the Supergrafx too, I've never played on one of those. There are only about 5 games for it aren't there?

I used to have a CRT for the old girls, but mrs made me get shot of it (it was actually hers lol) so now I'm putting up with flatscreen. When I was a kid I had a proper monitor for my consoles, and it was awesome. Don't know whatever happened to it tbh. My dad nabbed it from being chucked out at his work.

I would dearly love an original Duo (black and purple one). It was my absolute dream console growing up, but it was just too expensive. Nothing has changed there haha!

Yeah, I don't have many games for my SFC either, only really a handful. Ranma 1/2 (Chogi Ranbu Hen), Mystical Ninja, Cotton, Secret of Mana... that might actually be it! I did fuck about with a couple of the games though... Secret of Mana is unplayable if you don't know Japanese. So I bought a repro US cart from Ali, swapped out the innards and hey presto, Jap cart, English language :D I did the same with Mystical Ninja too. Just makes life easier!

• Like 1

Just now, Hashslag said:

I've got a Core Grafx, and I bought a plug and play RGB scart cable from some guy who made them. Although it's a bit iffy now and for the time being, I'm back to using the standard connection through the side port. Originally I had bought a Tennokoe 2 memory bank add on, which can be used to create an RGB output...I just didn't get around to making it. I'm not very electronicky!

The grey one no?  A friend of mine bought a core grafx which came with around 8 shoot em ups including toilet kids and deasd moon.. those are silly prices now.

I got me the standard white PC engine. Absolutely love it.

Nothing beats a clean RGB image :) bought some RGB amps from voultar, via Canada as they didn't ship from the US, to mod another white engine and the duo rx.

toki

13 minutes ago, Hashslag said:

Top job on the Supergrafx too, I've never played on one of those. There are only about 5 games for it aren't there?

That was a lucky ebay purchase before prices went stupid. It came in its original box comple and mint condition with 2 games : ghouls n ghosts and tatsujin ( truxton) result!

It came with an RGB cable with a built in RGB amp and phono out for stereo sound which was a nice suprise.

Yep there were only 5 dedicated games for it and one PC engine / Supergrafx version of darius which is compatible with both and takes advantage of the extra hardware in the supergrafx.

I don't know why NEC bothered to be honest , though ghouls and ghosts is great on it.

toki

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hashslag said:

Yeah, I don't have many games for my SFC either, only really a handful. Ranma 1/2 (Chogi Ranbu Hen), Mystical Ninja, Cotton, Secret of Mana... that might actually be it! I did fuck about with a couple of the games though... Secret of Mana is unplayable if you don't know Japanese. So I bought a repro US cart from Ali, swapped out the innards and hey presto, Jap cart, English language

lol brilliant! Nice work!

The only games I've got for it are;  Actraiser , F zero , super mario world , super ghouls n ghosts ( awesome graphics but doesnt play as well as the sgrafx or MD version) and gradius 3.

Ive played zelda( great game) on it but only the american version of the game via some clumsy adaptor . Borrowed from a friend with an american super famicom or SNES.

toki

• Like 1

Just now, toki said:

ghouls and ghosts is great on it.

One of the most ridiculously difficult games ever haha! But so fucking enjoyable! I play that on Snes emulation, and on the megadrive mini (hacked/loads of games). I got rid of my actual megadrive some years back... another regret!

• Like 1

Just now, Hashslag said:

One of the most ridiculously difficult games ever haha! But so fucking enjoyable! I play that on Snes emulation, and on the megadrive mini (hacked/loads of games). I got rid of my actual megadrive some years back... another regret!

I've got so many regrets with regards to getting rid of consoles, pcbs and crts :skin_up:Onward and upward!

toki

• Like 3

Now if you're talking Amiga then yes I'd definitely like one of those again, emulators just don't cut it for me. Thinking back now I did love my Snes, I sold it to get some money together to buy a Pc but I missed it so much I had to buy another one soon after.

• Like 2