mysticriver

41 minutes ago, SnakePlissken said:

@Baron von greenbackSounds like what needs to be done with those nutes. I have soft water, use coco, and don’t need CalMag. If you get yourself a bag of part A salts, part B (Cal Nit), and epsom you’ll have everything you need to feed the plants. There are obviously additives (kelp, fulvic, MSA, and so on) that you can debate the use of, but the part A, part B, and epsoms will grow nice plants. Mills, AN, and the bottled liquid nute companies are really profiting off of you if you regularly grow a decent amount of cannabis. They’ve split up what a plant needs into multiple bottles and you end paying way more than needed. Athena, Floraflex, and I’m sure other dry nute companies do it as well. The plant needs a certain ppm range (exact amounts debatable) of the needed nutrients and the roots don’t see the fancy packaging or cool marketing. The nute company your using should give you a breakdown of what that is per dose. Then you just need to know what base water you’re working with and mix up a feed that hits those ranges. I’d hunt for some dry salts whenever you finish up your bottled nutes. I know you don’t have access to what I have over there, so it’s dumb of me to tell you to go grab Jack’s part A for $50 a bag, but I’m sure there’s something. I’m guessing even Athena is cheaper at $200 a bag compared to liquid nutes. Growing will become a lot easier to understand and cheaper for sure. Best of luck!

Edit: I copy and pasted that one part from a different area of the text, so I guess that’s why it seems larger or emphasized, but I wasn’t trying to. Ha.

Cheers mate I have been looking at powdered nutes I really liked the look of Gia green but can't get it here the one I found was maxiflora think that's the same but I struggled to find a lot might just be me nice one for info though

• 5 months later...
22 minutes ago, Bobcharlieeeee said:

@mysticriver did you get to the bottom of your calmag issues in the end? 

yes I think so

ive started buffering the coco overnight with a high-EC calmag solution

& now im finding success (its the 1st crop this method) with 1ml/L calmag, all the way thru

that 1ml/L calmag takes the r/o water to 0.4EC

I then add traces at 1ml/L, coco a & B at between 1 & 2ml/L [dependant on growth stage] & a splash of katana roots in veg

which equates to a max EC of 1.45. in flower

im a lot happier wit those EC numbers, as I used to calmag to 0.8EC + nutes on top. and still had problems. crazy

im in late veg & the signs are good

thanks for asking brother

use shogun calmag; shogun coco a&b; canna traces; shogun katana roots

mystic

• Like 1

@mysticriver nice one mate, iv had some Magnesium issues so im doing some investigating myself, 

I used a prebuffered coco that i dont think is buffered properly, my plan is the same as yours next time round, to buffer the coco overnight before i use it. 

Was the buffering over night the only thing you changed? last grow i was watering between 5.6-6.4ph, in the later stages of the grow i had much better response watering 6.2 to 6.4. 

Im using GA nutes 

Just came across this thread @Bobcharlieeeee thought I’d share my experience with mag deficiency as it might help.Had a nightmare with it myself, deficiency’s all the time even when using plenty cal mag. Sent a sample of my water to growers ark and it had no magnesium at all in it. Started using GA sw nutes and changed from soil to coco at a ph of 6.4 recommend by ga for optimal cal/mag uptake. Haven’t looked back. 

@Niallk Iv done exactly that mate, I sent my water off to growers ark, the cal/mag ratio was like 100/1 when it should be 3/1. i use 0.15g/l of epsom salts to bring the ratio down. Im using there Hardwater coco range. my first two grows were soil with biobizz and the magnesium deff was crazy,  

Growers ark never actually told me what PH to water at and doesnt say on the chart. at the start i was watering at 5.5-5.8 as was recommended to me on here by someone. i changed to watering between 6.2-6.4 after contacting GA and got much better results in the later stages of the grow

I also think my "prebuffered" coco wasnt actually buffered that well from the factory so i will do it myself this time just to rule it out as its an easy one. 

Im using autopots with Growers ark, they recommend watering with plain water once a week, which i didnt do atall, next time round il be doing this

im just trying to narrow down what i thought the issue was before i start on my next grow! 

Edited by Bobcharlieeeee

23 hours ago, Bobcharlieeeee said:

Was the buffering over night the only thing you changed? 

well no not really, I changed the coco from 1st it was ecothrive 70/30 w/charge, then I tried jiffy pro7 - once, before buffering, probs still there so chucked it in the bin early including seedlings... back to drawing board sort-of-thing & got canna pro+ coco [no perlite] and did the buffering thing

but I dont think it was the coco its the not buffering that led to the problems

& the 1st time I buffered the coco, I fed with my usual levels of feed all the way thru, calmag'in to 0.8 + traces n a&b and had an EC like 1.85...

& the plants showed signs of toxicity. so this time I have kept the calmag at 1ml/L [happiliy, 1ml/L gives me 0.4EC

im getting good results this time with half the calmag. and apart from some Ca def on 1 leaf on 1 plant at about 3 weeks, ive not seen anything that makes me think that there'll be issues in flower

oh & my understanding of when a coco manufacturer mentions buffering, its usually pH buffered, not nutrient buffered

make sure that you buffer at a higher EC than the maximum which you'll feed at. & rinse it out afterwards so its not too strong for ur cuts/seedlings

mystic

Edited by mysticriver

@mysticriver 

5 minutes ago, mysticriver said:

back to drawing board sort-of-thing & got canna pro+ coco [no perlite] and did the buffering thing

This is the exact coco that i used, on the back of the bag im sure it says its buffered to 0.6ec so i thought it was fine.

Il be buffering it next time round anyhow 

what ec do you buffer at? 

Just now, Bobcharlieeeee said:

what ec

im feeding at a max of 1.45, ive buffered to about 2.0 w/calmag. and pH'd the buffering solution to 6.2 [btwn 6.0 - 6.5 is good]

then I rinse out under the bath tap so its mostly just tap water coming out of the bottom of the fabric pot

I do it in 8(my number of plants) £1 builders buckets from bilko's

mystic