mysticriver

15 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

@ratdog You'd be ok up to 0.6ec or 300mg/L base water in coco without RO or DI resin treating your water first.

sorry mate, but i haven't used coco and have no idea what that means

• Like 2

took my pH from the 5.6/5.7 that it was at, to 6.2/6.3 with bicarb last night and from now on

I knew it was at the ~5.6 - thats where it was in RO after adding all the nutrients without me having to alter pH

and I left it at that, as anyone who's ever tried to alter pH in ro water will know, it too is a pain in the arse - hardly any buffer so a minute drop sends it many .'s

then yesterday I read something on here and it reminded me about Ca being better available in the ~6.2 range

and I (sort of) now know the approx weight of bicarb I need for a 25L mix, so it should be straightforward to do every day

getting the pH to 6.2 'sted of 5.6

mystic

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ratdog said:

sorry mate, but i haven't used coco and have no idea what that means

Look at your local water authority water analysis report and post it here or pm me it.

Copy this into Google: check water quality by postcode   (Choose the link for your water authority).

I want the number for calcium carbonate. It will be in mg/L. If it's 300mg/l or less you are good to go without doing anything to your water for coco.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, catweazle1 said:

Look at your local water authority water analysis report and post it here or pm me it.

Copy this into Google: check water quality by postcode   (Choose the link for your water authority).

I want the number for calcium carbonate. It will be in mg/L. If it's 300mg/l or less you are good to go without doing anything to your water for coco.

i had my water tested by growers ark, it was 13.6 and mag is zero

water co says 14.3

@ratdog  your water is almost identical to mine, what did GA advice you? they told me to go with their soft water nutes then to PH up because my water has low alkalinity 42.7 and PH of 8.05. They advice me to PH for a soil grow too. 

Edited by The Green Manalishi
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Green Manalishi said:

what did GA advice you? 

just to use their soft water nutes, looking back at the emails they say i need to check ph and possibly adjust, then in the next answer that compost has a buffering effect on ph so i will be fine!

i have an ph pen here but it says i need distilled water to clean it, i don't have that ffs! lol

fuck it, i have just measured the ph from the tap with a new ph pen, it was 8.8, i then knocked up a litre of nutes using 4ml of grow and 1ml of traces + 2.5ml of tonic, came down to 6.6, then i knocked up a litre of bloom at 5ml with tonic and that came out at 6.5

so i'm 3-4 points over the 6.2 threshold. will compost buffer that? will i need to adjust it?

e2a, looking at the threshold for weed it's 5.5-6.5 so in compost should be ok?

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 1

Soft water nutes that require PH Up….. would rather work with another brand.

22 minutes ago, ratdog said:

just to use their soft water nutes, looking back at the emails they say i need to check ph and possibly adjust, then in the next answer that compost has a buffering effect on ph so i will be fine!

i have an ph pen here but it says i need distilled water to clean it, i don't have that ffs! lol

You got an ec pen too?

• Like 1

@ratdog Calmag 0.2-0.4ec and then soft water coco nutes to 0.6-0.8ec for seedlings and 1.0 - 1.2ec for over two weeks old, and you are away. The nutes will deal with the pH. Get an ec pen or Bluelab ec truncheon, about 75 quid... it's bomb proof and dead simple to use... just dip in the nutes and leds will flash the ec level. Get high quality coco. I recommend Jiffy Pro 7, if you don't mind hydrating it yourself... it's very uniform in texture.

• Like 2

Just now, The Green Manalishi said:

You got an ec pen too?

yes, do i need one with compost though?

Just now, catweazle1 said:

@ratdog Calmag 0.2-0.4ec and then soft water coco nutes to 0.6-0.8ec for seedlings and 1.0 - 1.2ec for over two weeks old, and you are away. The nutes will deal with the pH. Get an ec pen or Bluelab ec truncheon, about 75 quid... it's bomb proof and dead simple to use... just dip in the nutes and leds will flash the ec level. Get high quality coco. I recommend Jiffy Pro 7, if you don't mind hydrating it yourself... it's very uniform in texture.

what's the point of using soft water nutes and calmag mate? i'd rather use cal mag and organic nutes if that's the case

i'm been round and round with this and keep getting told by some i shouldn't be using calmag at all, and if i'm using ga soft water nutes i don't need anything else

i don't want to be funny and appreciate all help, but i don't want to use coco if i can solve it with compost

i might move somewhere with hard water lol

@ratdog Because  AFAIK cannabis seems to like  a certain baseline of hardness. I thought your water was hard, so what I've posted isn't really relevant to you, you just need to master soft water. If you are having issues, up your baseline hardness before doing anything. I think you can get traces that will pre-mineralize your water to a suitable level if you don't want to use calmag.

Edited by catweazle1

Just now, catweazle1 said:

you just need to master soft water.

no shit lol been trying to do this for years

thanks any way :)

• Like 2

Just now, ratdog said:

might move somewhere with hard water lol

Can I come with you? lol

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ratdog said:

so i'm 3-4 points over the 6.2 threshold. 

I reckon anywhere in the 6.2 - 6.5 range is good afaik

I read about Ca & the 6.2 bit somewhere, now I look and I cant find that but plenty saying btwn 6.2 - 6.5 is good

I had mine come out at 6.5 last night and I left it, close enough

mystic

• Like 1

can I just ask @cheesehunter for some advice

this is my thread, it explains the problem

just today, ive noticed that there are 3 more that have calcium issue in the leaves. not as bad as the 1 above

im going to give them the 1000 ec calmag, and the bad 1 1200 ec calmag as the 1000 doesn't seem to be having much of an affect - it prolly needs longer

(& the coco a&b on top, naturally)

but id just like to ask you, what's the answer? more calmag? to the moon?

mystic

• Like 1