mysticriver

still struggling with a Ca de-fish

its showing signs now that will only get worse in flower

when I thought about writing this post, I was thinking about a way to properly convey to you, dear reader, the trails and tribulations of my battle with calcium

it was going to start back ~18 month, about how I didn't know any better in the beginning, but as my grows went on I started to notice a problem and then started to change things to make it better

and with each change, I thought I had got the problem sorted

so I would then grow more girls up, thinking they would be good

and it would happen again - back to the drawing board

the amount of times that has occurred 

with the changing of the nutrients and the switching to ro water

and more recently with the upping of calmag

and the running of tests that I thought had gave answers...

and the upping of calmag again for good measure

with the calmag - ive gone from 0.4 to 0.5, then I went by the ml amounts, 2ml/L, 2.5ml/L, now ive picked the ec pen back up and im ec-ing it to 800 (0.8ec) with calmag

each time I upped the calmag, I thought I had it down pat with positive results, only to grow further and find Ca deficiencies

and so this is where I am today, back at the proverbial drawing board, calmag to 0.8 ec, then 2ml/L coco a&b on top (in veg)

- I can see on maybe 2 plants Ca issues in the leaves that will show when she goes to flower edit- the plant could be toast

so im looking at other nutrients &/or calmag

ive just bought a 25L of shogun coco a&b and only used about 5L maybe more, but if its got to go its got to go...

im ready for a 5L calmag

what's the answer? - more calmag? - im already at 800/0.8ec, which works out at ~2.7ml/L. shogun advise 1 - 2ml/L on the bottle so im way over. 3ml/L? it seems to be getting a bit ridiculous 

any insight here would be appreciated

edit- remember with each failure = knackered no-good plants and hair-pulling

mystic

Edited by mysticriver

Growers ark has a coco line that is for soft water, the cal-mag is added to the solution. You could try dr forests premium mix and use dry amendments as it can be effective solution, as long as you got the micro herd to break it all down.

@mysticriver

As above. I grow in soil and my water is soft. I changed my nutrients to Growers Ark (soft water for soil) for my current grow,  and have not had to add Cal Mag. It's very good stuff as my plants look fantastic

So for what it's worth I'm crap at this (forever getting the rusty bits around week 5 of flower me) but 0.8 e.c from just calmag seems like a fairly high dose to me.

Have you considered that you might be getting lockouts rather than deficiencies?

Iirc mono silicic acid mobilises calcium in plants , some folk swear by things like aptus regulator or pm bio silicon 

:yinyang:

Edited by BilgePump
  • Like 4

Have you calibrated you pH pen recently as maybe that could be out and your a bit too far off pH wise for it to be absorb-able?

My pen drifted by about 0.2 pH after a little more than a months use.

• Like 1

Think sensi ph perfect cal mag might be solution if your having ph issues.Note that am not hydro head just makes sense to me

Poorly buffered coco could throw up these issues, and if you have very soft water you might find yourself throwing cal mag at the plant.

• Like 1

I found out at about the 3rd week of flower I had to double up on the cal mag for the cal deficiency to stop. I went from 0.4 - 0.8ec.

@The Green Manalishi Under normal circumstances I would agree with you as that is a very common coco issue, but mystic has been giving extremely high doses of calmag and I would bet it's fully buffered by now.. It looks like overwatering if it's the pics I've seen in his random album. If it was calcium, which is immobile, the new shoots would be yellowing. If it was magnesium, which is mobile, the lower leaves would be yellowing. Neither issue is present.  Given the droop and and the presence of necrotic leaves, I suspect overwatering. Too much water pressure from overwatering can burst the cells, killing leaves, which he has. What I should say really is he's probably overwatering for those environmental conditions he has now, It might be too cold, too humid, not enough extraction etc.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

if its the pics I've seen in his random album.

its not

mystic

Edited by mysticriver

13 hours ago, The Green Manalishi said:

had to double up on the cal mag

from the 8 that I have going, there is 1 that im concerned about

I went from 800 to 1000/1.0 ec on the calmag last night for that plant only (+ the base a&b)

mystic

What is your ph after adding nutes, when using GA soft water, my ph dropped and settled at 5.0, they advised me to ph up. Using DP soft nutes it was 6.2

13 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

Given the droop and and the presence of necrotic leaves, I suspect overwatering. Too

your going off an old unrelated photograph, from what I can gather

these 4 are at the same 4 weeks and 5 days, skittle auto

large.C9109069-A750-48CD-9A8B-E3644A502742.jpeg

the 1 (not 2 as I thought yester) that im concerned about is the 1 most right on the photo (front right)

this 1

large.08FEA5A5-0FC8-4277-817C-4462D04ED032.jpeg

a few close-ups of the leaves

large.F120F614-EDB9-41C6-BAD8-60031B106EB3.jpeg

and

large.EEDF41C2-3CB0-4B6E-B307-0F508763B292.jpeg

along with

large.3DE62BFB-E3E4-4221-8952-3094622F48BE.jpeg

&

large.BE3E054F-A8C7-445D-B33C-7977B379D84F.jpeg

yeah so ive seen this before, quite a few times

its becoming an unwanted theme

when she hits flower, the damage just gets worse and it affects the bud

4 out of the 8 showed varying signs of a possible issue at seedling. they are marked & monitored but atm present no issues

I think I mentioned, last night this 1 was given a higher-ec calmag, to rectify

mystic

• Like 1

i feel your pain mate, i've had this shit for years, sometimes with calmag it works, other times not so well. i'm using ga soil nutes with added cal/mag at 5ml pl and things seem to stabilize and stop the leaves dying off fully atm, but i hit the rust before i maxed out, so will experiment on the next tent!

• Like 3