AutoPot & Timers - Why?

J.C

Used autopots now for 4 year, coco pebbles 60-40 and 2 litres of pebbles in bottom of the pot,hand watered till start of flower to  fill pots with roots before switching system on,never used a timer ever and always had great results,no signs of over watering,slow growth and plants drinking a lot throughout,I think environment is important as always to ensure things work right,you can over complicate things for f*ck all in my opinion

• Like 3

@darksecrets999Hey bud, have you had a chance to setup your wifi timer? I started looking at them again after you had mentioned them, I was originally going to go with one but ended up with the plantit timer as I have found a lot of wifi controlled equipment to be a bit inconsistent/unreliable.

@Big dog Thats good to know, I was thinking about doing a grow in autopots without the timer at some point, preferably 2 on timer and 2 without so I can see the difference in feed used and how the plants compare through out the grow. Having said that one thing that I hadn’t really thought about until I was just about to turn on my autopots and did one last test. One of the valves got stuck in the open position which would have led to flooding. With the timer set to 5 minutes per feed cycle if that happened again the overflow would be very minimal so the timer also acts as flood protection. The autopots have been working great for me as well, although this is my first grow so cant compare to growing without them, I am really happy I went with them.

James,I’ve never had a complete flood,I’ve had the odd tray leaking with roots getting in where the valves are causing a mal function  and that’s using the copper discs or root socks,also I’ve had leaks when starting the system where the silicon bungs haven’t been aligned right in the valve but on the whole once it’s working correctly and your using a clean feed it gets you through to the end,I’ve only used canna feed purely cos it’s done the job and never had an issue with sticking,only use a root tonic whilst hand watering as it’s to thick to use in system

Edited by Big dog
  • Like 1

Just now, Big dog said:

James,I’ve never had a complete flood,I’ve had the odd tray leaking with roots getting in where the valves are causing a mal function  and that’s using the copper discs or root socks,also I’ve had leaks when starting the system where the silicon bungs haven’t been aligned right in the valve but on the whole once it’s working correctly and your using a clean feed it gets you through to the end,I’ve only used canna feed purely cos it’s done the job and never had an issue with sticking,only use a root tonic whilst hand watering as it’s to thick to use in system

Good to hear mate, Ive been using canna nutes too and no issues other than that one time, it was actually a bit of plastic that got stuck to one of the silicone bungs and thankfully it was while I done one last test run before turning on the system so was fixed before I started putting nutes through. It’s still nice to have that peace of mind especially when they go a few days unattended.

How much feed to you typically use per day during flower with the autopots running 24/7?

James,I couldn’t give you the exact amount but a good doer would probably take 2-3 litres when in full flow,I just look inside the tank and can see how there drinking,it’s when there not drinking much I’d be concerned, rootzone temps and room temps have to be right otherwise you p@swing into the wind 

• Like 2

On 28/06/2022 at 8:14 AM, Jams67 said:

@darksecrets999Hey bud, have you had a chance to setup your wifi timer? I started looking at them again after you had mentioned them, I was originally going to go with one but ended up with the plantit timer as I have found a lot of wifi controlled equipment to be a bit inconsistent/unreliable.

@Big dog Thats good to know, I was thinking about doing a grow in autopots without the timer at some point, preferably 2 on timer and 2 without so I can see the difference in feed used and how the plants compare through out the grow. Having said that one thing that I hadn’t really thought about until I was just about to turn on my autopots and did one last test. One of the valves got stuck in the open position which would have led to flooding. With the timer set to 5 minutes per feed cycle if that happened again the overflow would be very minimal so the timer also acts as flood protection. The autopots have been working great for me as well, although this is my first grow so cant compare to growing without them, I am really happy I went with them.

Yes, I set it all up but I think the problem was the water flow. Because the reducer wasn’t a straight line I had to connect the autopot tubing at an angle which restricted the water flow. So I’ve decided against autopots in future. I’ve built my own top feed watering device instead now. I’ve used 

Sicce Extrema water pump x 1 to pump water into the feed lines
Hailea water pump (cheap) x 1 to pump waste water to drain
19mm to 13mm barbed reducer
13mm tube 5m (GroWell)
Anti siphon valve with 13mm tee piece (GroWell)
13mm stop end (GroWell)

13mm to 4mm cross connector 

4mm tubing

4mm Claber drippers (in-line and end line)

the water will be fed using Wi-Fi timers twice a day through 4mm Claber drippers. 

it’s basically the Rhizosystem but homemade. It’s so easy. If you need help on it just let me know

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, darksecrets999 said:

Yes, I set it all up but I think the problem was the water flow. Because the reducer wasn’t a straight line I had to connect the autopot tubing at an angle which restricted the water flow. So I’ve decided against autopots in future. I’ve built my own top feed watering device instead now. I’ve used 

Sicce Extrema water pump x 1 to pump water into the feed lines
Hailea water pump (cheap) x 1 to pump waste water to drain
19mm to 13mm barbed reducer
13mm tube 5m (GroWell)
Anti siphon valve with 13mm tee piece (GroWell)
13mm stop end (GroWell)

13mm to 4mm cross connector 

4mm tubing

4mm Claber drippers (in-line and end line)

the water will be fed using Wi-Fi timers twice a day through 4mm Claber drippers. 

it’s basically the Rhizosystem but homemade. It’s so easy. If you need help on it just let me know

Nice one mate, hope it works out for you. I’ve been looking at the small 4 pot Wilma system to use in my smaller tent, trying to decide between that or a second autopot system.

On 01/07/2022 at 3:28 PM, Jams67 said:

Nice one mate, hope it works out for you. I’ve been looking at the small 4 pot Wilma system to use in my smaller tent, trying to decide between that or a second autopot system.

I definitely wouldn’t recommend the autopot system. I’ve had so many issues with it. I’m constantly battling humidity because of the water in the trays sat there overnight. There’s no viable solution. The PlantIt timer will work if you only plan on feeding once a day. But that’s not enough for coco. Especially in mid flower when your plants are drinking heavy. I think the Rhizosystem is a lot better. But it’s £350 for the 4-pot system. I’ve built my own for under £200 and I can have more than just 4 pots for that price

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Anyone can help me out ... I can't get my head around how to fit my timer into my autopot res ... Only idea I came up with is drill the hole in res and then tighten it up BUT I think better ask before drilling my autopot tank. 

I am quite far from fittings and parts names so sorry if i ask more stupid questions ...

Maybe I can use any fittings from ALIEN Easy Feed system????

@Jams67 how did you connect your plantIT timer, mate?

Thanks

large.IMG_20220809_114515.jpg

Edited by CDF20
  • Like 1

Hey @CDF20 I have mine connected like you have with a reducer. The other side from the res to the timer I have it like this Res - 9mm tube - 9mm Tap (optional, but handy for maintenance) - 9mm tube - 7mm to 13mm reducer - 13mm hose that came with timer is then connected to the top. Im not sure its 100% correct but theres no leaks and it does the job fine. I 3d printed the reducers, if you have access to a 3d printer I can send you the stl file. Will post a pic in a bit as that might be easier to see:yep:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jams67 said:

Hey @CDF20 I have mine connected like you have with a reducer. The other side from the res to the timer I have it like this Res - 9mm tube - 9mm Tap (optional, but handy for maintenance) - 9mm tube - 7mm to 13mm reducer - 13mm hose that came with timer is then connected to the top. Im not sure its 100% correct but theres no leaks and it does the job fine. I 3d printed the reducers, if you have access to a 3d printer I can send you the stl file. Will post a pic in a bit as that might be easier to see:yep:

thanks, mate.
Yeah i have access to 3D . 
Pic would be helpful. thanks a lot

• Like 1

@CDF20 Hey bud, here is a couple of pics to show how ive got my ones set up (ignore the other one thats lying on its side ive not turned that one on yet and still needs to be fixed in place). If you need to get any extra reducers here is a link to a 3d model that I use (7mm ID to 13mm ID). If your struggling give me a shout. I think the top end I might have used 2 different parts to get a 13mm hose adapter into the big threaded entry.

large.A6CB5C71-B574-466A-B1AC-99F1F881B385.jpeg

large.EB97B557-1A3D-453F-8C93-831CC70A6F2F.jpeg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jams67 said:

I've done it mate! You gave me a GREAT idea.  9mm feed pipe then reducer from 9 mm to 13mm then 13mm pipe and I pushed it through inside the timer with some silicone around it ... left for an hour to dry and then do the test!

Awesome! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly just get rid of them autopots i had a 50 system, smartpots one with the mk1 valve 

And had nothing but problems, don't get me wrong on  12 or less its ok but still problematic 

I used the dripper flsuh stuff put in my tank the lot and it still blocked up, in the end i had to use one of them hi pressure steamer things to blast it out every week, 

Now I've moved onto mega pots 22ltr ones

I use a timer and its working mint

It take a bit to get my head round tbe timer and air curtain but now its just all left alone till i need to fill tank once a week 

@jackoo Don’t have any experience with large setups but for 4 plants, autopots have been brilliant for me. The problem could have been with the older valve as I think the smaller tube and fittings were more prone to blockages from what id read but the newer 9mm tubing and fitting seems a lot more reliable. The mega pots look good too though, sounds like they are working well for you:yep:

Edited by Jams67
  • Like 1