What a Shedache

blackpoolbouncer

Just now, McHazy said:

@badbillybob Bpb doesnae have the same tropical climate as us I dinna think :yep:lol

ahh thats true, i forget hes a soft :) southerner

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 5

@badbillybob the floor should be warm because its being heated by the exhaust. 

I should have mentioned how the heat is being recycled. 

So first heat source is roughly 500w of t5s which light the veg areas. They are open so heat the whole shed. Secondly heating the lung room is the oil rad. 

Air wil be drawn into the small flower tent from above the veg area. The two flower areas will be flip flopped so during the daytime the small flower room will be lights on where it doesn't require AS much heating. This also keeps lights off temps in the big room up. 

I can also draw semi mixed warmed air from the polytunnel during cold weather. 

It's really making the most use of the heat and reusing it rather than each area just exhausting to the atmosphere. 

Taken a bit of planning like. 

lol first time I've been called a Southern softy but then again you guys are north of "the wall" in wildling territory lol

Winters despite being quite far north are relatively mild in my little spot compared to inland.

Oh and the door question. You obviously ha ent been paying attention lol

I'm cutting the front off a 1.5 tent and a dr80 so will be just like a tent front with zips.

• Like 11

ahh, youve been thinking about this a lot and planning it well. that sounds like youve got everything covered.

i didnt read the whole thing, im more of a pictures guy, but the tent front idea is genius.

same with the flip flops. i used to run a couple of hps rooms - flip flopped, off the same ballasts, from a electronic set up, it worked well. 

i love the idea of using all the heat produced with the poly tunnel also benefitting, its as "green" as it gets, great stuff. 

i wish you great success with it mate, im sure there will be some lovely flowers coming out of here.

• Like 7

@blackpoolbouncer

Hi bud, Cracking build, just a couple of points...as already mentioned the wall insulation (or lack of) is a bit concerning and where are you drawing

fresh air from, especially in summer? The inside of my shed gets pretty warm so I flip flop, from inside in winter, out in summer.

:oldtoker:

• Like 4

Vapour sheeting is a must in my view because wood rots of course and if there's no constant circulation of the warm air generated within the shed it will lead to condensing (lower and less exposed areas) which will, over time, lead to ingress of moisture into the boards and eventually rot them out (marine ply holds up much better than OSB).  The fluctuations of temperature this country experiences, coupled with a maritime climate is inviting the above and I'd have tanked it with vapour barrier sheeting and insulated with recycled plastic roll (the fibres do not hold moisture) if expanded board was not an option.

I suppose it depends on how long you intend to use it for though at the end of the day and will last a few years so a costs v longevity game really.  Decent area though and should be productive :yep: 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, stu914 said:

@blackpoolbouncer

Hi bud, Cracking build, just a couple of points...as already mentioned the wall insulation (or lack of) is a bit concerning and where are you drawing

fresh air from, especially in summer? The inside of my shed gets pretty warm so I flip flop, from inside in winter, out in summer.

:oldtoker:

Thanks mate. After growing in a 30 year old caravan with much thinner walls I don't share your concern bud.

Fresh air in winter will be drawn from the heated polytunnel. Fresh air in summer drawn from the great outdoors. This again isn't a concern. This is a concern I've already taken into account. 

I've raised thousands of seeds in the shed and although ny extraction was a bit smaller keeping the shed at 24' wasn't wasn't issue and the walls aren't even cold to the touch. As stated. Wood is actually pretty good at insualting and an air gap cavity wall is even better. No worries.

Beleive me. It will be nice and toasty in there. The lung room/veg area will be set at 24 on the stat. The girls won't suffer cold under my watch.

@botanics yes what you nention woukd be an issue if the shed had no extraction. It woukd pretty soon get to 100% humidity and about 40'C though.

Big Bertha the 200mm gorilla box fan ensures air movement, humidity build up etc are all taken care off. There won't won't any rot happening inside the shed I guarantee it with 1500m/hr of air exchange lol it would likely suck the vapor barrier off the walls lol

Condensation WAS a major concern......hence why the roof is insulated. Condensation happens on cold surfaces. That means the roof and windows. Both of which are/will be sealed to prevent this. 

Warm wooden walls dont condensate 

Atb guys. Thanks for looking and the comments.

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 9

Looking good! Great bit of planning and execution, there. Very jealous of your space!

I really like the inclusion of your poly tunnel and use of that energy, nicely done.

• Like 1

Welcome to shedside. @blackpoolbouncer

Where us creatures who have been banned from the house reside.

Looking forward to see how this unfolds.  Just be aware you might've been using warmer lighting rigs in your caravan. Will you be using the led in the shed?  I'm sure you have it under control anyways. Good luck not that you need it. 

My oil rad used so much power last winter the  Mrs nearly killed me. I'm now only allowed two tubes and heat mat. Really excited to see poly tunnel mod. 

Edited by growinggold
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, growinggold said:

Just be aware you might've been using warmer lighting rigs in your caravan. Will you be using the led in the shed? 

lol yes baniShed! I'm looking at it as an opportunity to make a better and efficient grow area than the one indoors so it's no hardship. Plus it's somewhere warm to smoke now that's also been banned from the house.

Good point. I was yes. Given the underfloor heating and the temp in the lung room I think we wil be fine mate. 

Heating/leccy usage isn't really a concern as long as the girls are happy and the fans can always be turned down should it come super icy which is very rare.

7 minutes ago, murphyblue said:

I got "shed envy". lol

That's epic mate.

Cheers dude. 

16 minutes ago, stu914 said:

I knew you'd be all over it...:rofl::rofl:

There's time for it to go tits up yet lol

• Like 5

One thing i did spot that might help is adding a door stop to the door will help with any light leaking out or in and its a cheap option couple of bits of batten all round.

• Like 2