Electric cost

Grow lady

I’ve shut down due to leccy costs, but I have enough weed to last me a while, so I will start growing again when it's warmer when I don't need additional heating, do you get that!

• Like 8

I'm currently in bit of a battle with the old leccy cunts. 

Old provider went bust months back with £475 owing. Which seems ridiculously off as we had only paid £202 last month of that company. Minded to just ignore that bill but the acount as been taken over by octopus n they have billed up £574 up till end Dec. Which is seeks v expensive for gas n electric. Sent them meter readings 10 days ago n they keep saying they're going off smart metre estimate readings..we don't have a smart meter. It's all aload of shit. Think I will send another meter reading and ask them to re calculate the bill based from th readings? Any ideas?

Any sorry for derail. Fkin get me some solars . 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, aFbRag2gWqAi said:

((600W [at the wall] x 24 hours x 7 days) / 1000 to convert to kw) x 18p/kwhr = £18.00 p/w

£28.00 per week is awfully expensive electricity..

i wish i was on 18p/kwh lol

try 25 + vat + standing charges!

@growinggold I’d read the meter and go over the old bills and look for discrepancies. I don’t like talking about finances. I hate money. It stinks. But an average month I put £120 away for grow lecky. So quarterly I know just my grow is £480. Is what they claim you owe over the quarter or is that a direct debit theyve fucked up? It’s a fair bit of money I know but sounds right. At full blast I’m using 1500w for 3 tents @0.20p kWh. Full blast is obviously flower time. 30p an hour for 12 hours £3.60 … lights off is negligible. Literally pence. To some this might seem expensive but I don’t drink or particularly treat myself to anything unless it’s grow related. If I went on’t piss it’d be £4 a drink not £4 a day. I don’t gamble or like nice clothes or owt like that. Money well spent in my opinion :) I’ve had one or two fuck ups but a college course would also cost more. That £4 a day has paid for lessons too. You’ve seen the shit I’ve knocked out. It’s embarrassing. But I know I’m getting there. That £4 a day will shrink eventually once I’ve got plenty of weed and it’s more for fun than filling jars. I’m just trying to get ahead of myself.

Id definitely recommend getting a smart meter bud. Some folk get all tin foil hatted about it. I find it’s a great tool to use. Hourly, daily, weekly and monthly costs. Stick summat on and see in real-time how it’s affecting the cost and if needs be economise on that appliance or loose a few watts for a few hours. They really do come in handy :) 

• Like 5

Hi @Grow lady, I see your still having probs putting up a dairy - I put a link up the last time you asked about grow diary in my threads and tagged you

you have to factor in electricity used, not just your light, but your heating and your extraction fan as well (and inlet fans if you have em)

Dont quote what a light proports to be, only actual power drawn, very different - lots of led grow light makers quote equivalent hps values, hence the 1600 figure

The loft environment (temp) is quite variable to say the least, mine currently varies from -1 to +15 at the minute , you'll be spending a fortune taking the cold air approx 0'C  and having to boost it to 28'C. If you take your inlet from a room inside the house you will only need to heat 20'C air upto 28'C.

Insulation is key in winter, if you want to reduce costs you will have to insulate the tent - (quick tip - use a 13.5 or higher tog duvet short term. 

@MindSoup idea of reversing the from top to bottom extraction sounds interesting, using heat from the top of the tent /lights and pulling this down past the plants, I will be trying this out myself on my next grow along with the radiator box idea.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HazyDaze said:

It's crazy how many people I've seen say I'm shutting down completely because leccy is to expensive 

With the  price of street weed I just don't get  that thinking at all. :unsure:

One of my mates grows to sell and he said that the other day. I've never actually seen his setup, but I'm guessing it leaves a lot to be desired if he cant make a profit from it. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, growinggold said:

I'm currently in bit of a battle with the old leccy cunts. 

Old provider went bust months back with £475 owing. Which seems ridiculously off as we had only paid £202 last month of that company. Minded to just ignore that bill but the acount as been taken over by octopus n they have billed up £574 up till end Dec. Which is seeks v expensive for gas n electric. Sent them meter readings 10 days ago n they keep saying they're going off smart metre estimate readings..we don't have a smart meter. It's all aload of shit. Think I will send another meter reading and ask them to re calculate the bill based from th readings? Any ideas?

Any sorry for derail. Fkin get me some solars . 

@growinggold energy prices have gone up loads recently I was paying around £8 a day running 2 areas but hermie wiped them out so started again with 1 area still.costs around £4 a day with just 600w led that pulls 125w and heating on 24hours but when seedlings can cope I'm switching back to hps lights to help heating the area 

• Like 1

Guest anarchycamp
Just now, MindSoup said:

One of my mates grows to sell and he said that the other day. I've never actually seen his setup, but I'm guessing it leaves a lot to be desired if he cant make a profit from it. 

That's insane, he must toke it all!

@happydaze i love growing its hard at first cos paying electricity bills and buying my oz a week from street dealer and then just has I think all going good hermie wiped me out but it's a learning curve and I'm hoping this 2rd time round goes better no hermie plant I've only  seedlings at the min and  they only 4 days old so under 600w wykme led and need heating on 24hours vos in loft it's freezing 

Our average daily usage for the whole home on our smart meter is £2.60-£3.20 so my whole grow setup is about £1 a day.

• Like 3

Just now, Military Grade said:

Our average daily usage for the whole home on our smart meter is £2.60-£3.20 so my whole grow setup is about £1 a day.

@Military Grademy electric was around £2 a day before and now its jumped up to £6 a day i have a smart meter so I can see from one day to next the costs but the electric radiator is on 24 hours so that's the costly thing but when seedlings bigger I can use my hps 600w and hopefully the heater won't be needed so long 

• Like 2