Electric cost

Grow lady

On 05/01/2022 at 7:38 PM, Stig_Baasvik said:

Fair enough, ‘‘twas but a passing thought. I generally get through an ounce a month from my friendly neighbourhood dealer, at 200 notes an ounce, so as long as it’s cheaper to grow than that (which it definitely will be), then I’m quids in and will get far superior quality and a huge range of strains to choose from.

Growing isn't cheap on electricity cost with just a 600w led and heating on 24hours im using about £28 a week extra electricity so over say 20 weeks is £560 so u need to get at least 3 oz a grow to cover electricity bills and then the rest of the problems if not right environment like spider mite and hermie and mold it not cheap hobby 

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Grow lady said:

Growing isn't cheap on electricity cost with just a 600w led and heating on 24hours im using about £28 a week extra electricity so over say 20 weeks is £560 so u need to get at least 3 oz a grow to cover electricity bills and then the rest of the problems if not right environment like spider mite and hermie and mold it not cheap hobby 

A little bit over the place here :wassnnme:

600W LED for 20 weeks,

if properly organised gives not just one,

but 2 full harvests.

I hate gram per Watt claims,

but for the purpose it will help me to explain :) 

So let's consider a really crappy grower that gets say 0.25 g/W.

600 x 0.25 = 150g per harvest

150 x 2 = 300g

300 / 28 = 10.7 Oz which is quite a bit more than your cost of procuring 3oz at approx £560

So even this imaginary 0.25g/W grower is still self sufficient with just over half an ounce per week.

That doesn't include the extras that come from keeping good quality trim,

to make hash or edibles.

So without putting too fine a point on it,

your advice to others based on your own experience isn't necessarily a good example to use.

@Grow lady I think you need to give your setup a bit of a rethink :yep:

Atb

Sorry Rufus for the wee derailment :D 

:yinyang:

• Like 14

@Shumroom Can you please give me any help with this issue please 

Edited by lildaveham
Please use the @function instead of quoting it make the topic easier to read.
  • Like 2

@Shumroom I also plan on popping seeds in 8 weeks when the ones now are flowering so they ready to flip when autos come down but I'm swoping to hps 600w soon for the heat cos my heating is on 24 hours at present and set to 25 degrees so think that's what's costing me so much when I was using mars hydro 1600w and king.plus 1500w I was paying around £6/£8 a day that's why I'm swoping back to hps for winter

Edited by lildaveham
Remove quote
  • Like 2

Absolutely not a problem @Grow lady,

start a diary detailing your entire setup.

Myself and others will definitely be able to help you to get on the right track :yep:

Make sure to @ tag me in :) 

I look forward to helping you out.

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 8

@Grow lady, @Shumroom

Thank you both! Appreciate you taking time to answer my slightly random query folks. Cheers muchly much..

@RUFUS HOUND

Apologies for the inadvertent hijacking of the thread. 

Edited by Stig_Baasvik
Edited for irritating word repetition.
  • Like 2

((600W [at the wall] x 24 hours x 7 days) / 1000 to convert to kw) x 18p/kwhr = £18.00 p/w

£28.00 per week is awfully expensive electricity..

Edited by aFbRag2gWqAi
  • Like 1

@aFbRag2gWqAi

The electric cost is running a large radiator set to 25 degrees 24 hours a day to keep temperature control and the light not just lights 

Edited by Owderb
Quote removed again

Guest anarchycamp

@Grow lady I've already told you the Mars is 627w at the wall. It doesn't put out 1500w.

I can't remember what the king plus is but it'll be worse than the Mars.

That'll be half your issue imo, you think you are lighting a space with 3000w ish when really it's closer to 1000w.

With that in mind, your leccy is getting rinsed purely on heating really.

Apologies for the continuation of derailing 

E2a: I've just seen you've swapped to hps, that helps with heat..

Edited by anarchycamp
Heat heat heat

@Grow lady Have you got any insulation around your grow room/tent? Do you draw air from inside the house? Are you doing the trick where you extract from the floor and intake at the top of the tent/room to conserve the heat? With that much lighting (based off @anarchycamps estimate) your potential yield (1-2kg) should far out weigh the cost of your electric which after 16 weeks of growing would be £448 so less than 50p/g. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 3

Don’t take this the wrong way but I don’t understand why the heating needs to be on 24/7. Lights on, if they are well matched to the area you’re lighting you should be hitting at least 25c at canopy level wi LED. Couple of low wattage heat mats and a radiator for lights off. As long as those roots stay at least 22c, from what I’ve read, a 5/10 degree swing at lights off is fine. 
Having said all that £28 quid a week is fuck all really. £4 a day to get high on your own supply. One thing I’ve done is switch over my timers so my lights on period is over night. Saves heating costs. I also shroud the tent in thick black out curtains, actually to cut out light leaks but it serves as an extra layer to keep heat in. Infact it does that good a job in summer time I battle with it being a bit too warm. This time of year take the warm air from yer landing or summat. 
There’s more sensible folk here to help you become more efficient in regards returns on the financial outlay but £100 a month at the coldest time of the year for Oz’s of weed. Bargain. 

• Like 6

It's crazy how many people I've seen say I'm shutting down completely because leccy is to expensive 

With the  price of street weed I just don't get  that thinking at all. :unsure:

• Like 18