Electric cost

Grow lady

I totally get what your saying gas is always cheaper than electric

I wasnt clear, all I meant to say is if gas is going up , lecky will soon follow. 

• Like 1

@ratdog yes mate, winter temps with a 600hps would be minimum of 30°, summer its hit high 40°'s, tried all sorts, clad entire tent top to bottom in cardboard was the best thing I found, doing that would drop 5° at least in tent, run with a 5" rvk then a Black Orchid hybrid silent flow 5" venting into bathroom extractor, leds have changed that, and I've got an Smscomsmart speed plug thing on the way to run with either of the fans, not sure if the 2speed orchid one takes to being controlled. :)

Just now, RUFUS HOUND said:

I totally get what your saying gas is always cheaper than electric

I wasnt clear, all I meant to say is if gas is going up , lecky will soon follow. 

Absolutely it will. UK electricity generation is too dependent on burning gas. The price cap for domestic energy bills will be reviewed in the spring I think. 

BTW I read that between 1981 and 1984 energy prices rose by 21% on average! A hard time for anyone skint...

• Like 1

This thread got me thinking about how much I spend on growing. 

I use a 275w LED and a 75w LED with Ac infinity 6in exhaust fan and a rhino 4in fan inlet, 3 oscalating fans, an electric blanket on 24/7, a dehumidifier inside the room 24/7 during last 4wk of flower. 

I grow 4 plants and my last harvest I topped over 12oz of dry buds and loads of trim. 

My readings are from 2/6 and end on 27/11. I started growing from seed around 1/7 and chopped everything down 7/11 

In total 1812 units at 16.147p = 292.58 plus a service charge which is there regardless, these using consist of everyday living, working at home during pandemic.

So unless I've got something wrong, even if energy prices soar later in the year to double the cost in units, it'll still be worth growing your own than buying shit weed on the street,

I'm on a fixed rate until the end of this month and I can either fall to the energy cap and with prices expected to hike in April and utilities pumping prices up, I can get on fixed 3yr deal with no exit fee fit another £42 extra a month based on my last reading so in theory £42 a month is what it's costing me lol

does that sound about right? 

Edited by Darknight420710
  • Like 2

Only way to be 100% sure of how much electricity you're using is to monitor at the wall. I picked up a couple of plug-in meters which give the total draw on watts in real time, plus highs/lows, averages, total usage in kWh, etc. So I was able to check exactly how much each light was drawing, fan, heaters, etc. Plus get the overall power usage for the wee cabinet. 

• Like 2

Just now, Crow River said:

Only way to be 100% sure of how much electricity you're using is to monitor at the wall. I picked up a couple of plug-in meters which give the total draw on watts in real time, plus highs/lows, averages, total usage in kWh, etc. So I was able to check exactly how much each light was drawing, fan, heaters, etc. Plus get the overall power usage for the wee cabinet. 

Thats exactly what I've got and  I'm a bit OCD and keep an eye on my smart meter and write readings down especially when putting the oil heater on lol

• Like 1

New Tapo smart plugs do a version with usage monitoring built in. I might get one

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 2

Well, I see my rather vague and stupid question over in Rufus’s diary morphed into a thread with some very useful answers.  Thanks everyone!

Safe to say, when I finally do get set up, I should be able to grow a far superior product for far less money than forking over 200ish notes a month on dealer weed. And that’s grand enough for me. :)

• Like 2

On 09/01/2022 at 2:56 PM, MindSoup said:

One of my mates grows to sell and he said that the other day. I've never actually seen his setup, but I'm guessing it leaves a lot to be desired if he cant make a profit from it. 

Edited by Dodgee
Price discussing

10 hours ago, Should Know Betterer said:

Smscomsmart speed plug thing on the way

I had a couple of these smart ones and they both fucked up, nearly cost me a crop with temps through the roof,

went back to the shop and they tested them, both had faults where they stopped and started at will, keep an eye on it bud.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

@Jack? or is it super hans, do you run like this with a reverse flow I suppose you could call it and with leds?

I grow in the garage which is the reason for this. I have the filter on the floor stood up sucking through it and extracting at the top. 

Also have a heat matt running with a probe. But the filter and fan at the bottom most definitely help bring the temp down to the bottom of tent which helps. 

I'm running a 250hps 

• Like 1