Thinking of going AUTO for next grow - advice

RUFUS HOUND

1 minute ago, mister phlegm said:

I grow them* for the 600+ extra hours of light in flower, and if Rufus is still rocking the 70W then maximising the time it's on might be a much bigger plus overall than speed or whatever. The light will almost certainly be the limiting factor, and having it on more of the time just seems the best improvement to make without upgrading stuff.

I don’t agree on this. Sorry mate.

ive grown autos and photos under the same lights and the photos produce more regardless of light power.

i don’t know what to say, it’s a case of picking the right strain for the space/light. 

maybe try something like gorilla x white widow from expert seeds. Something that can be flowered on a 14/10 or 13/11 to add the extra light time but it’s power not time on the makes the difference with plants.

3 hours ago, Whatwentwrong said:

I don’t agree on this. Sorry mate.

Don't be :) I have little to back up my assertions and if I'm wrong I get to learn something.

I just don't see how it is possible for a photoperiod under 70W flowering 12/12 to outperform an auto on 24/0 for the original poster.

How does the photo do better with ~2/3 the already-inadequate photons? (assuming equal seed-to-chop times for simplicity.)

Aren't they the hard limit here?

1 hour ago, mister phlegm said:

Don't be :) I have little to back up my assertions and if I'm wrong I get to learn something.

I just don't see how it is possible for a photoperiod under 70W flowering 12/12 to outperform an auto on 24/0 for the original poster.

How does the photo do better with ~2/3 the already-inadequate photons? (assuming equal seed-to-chop times for simplicity.)

Aren't they the hard limit here?

they are different types of plants. Photo periods have two separate stages where an auto just looks like it does.

The photo period only does one job at a time but autos are technically still veging when flowering as they continue to grow till the end, it’s just one stage growth, it’s part of the reason they need more light hours.

so really the 70w is being split between pushing stem length and generating flowers.

a photo uses all 70w to veg and get to the required height and then 70w to flower.

going from your example then all grows would do better with autos as they would have more light hours but we know photos produce bigger better plants. 

• Like 1

More and more these days, I'm getting autos to finish in the breeders' timeliness.  One I'm just sampling at the moment, Sweet Killer Kush Auto was chopped at seven weeks and 2 days.  Had a Vision Seeds Superskunk Auto finish in seven weeks and 6 days and a Sweet Cream Caramel finish in 8 weeks.  Others in the same batches were all finished in less than another 2 weeks.  The Killer Kush is turning out to be bloody strong stuff too....well maybe for an old woos like me. 

• Like 4
13 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Oh yeah tbf I've seen a few semi/fast strains that warn to veg under 24hrs to stop them autoing now I think of it. 

Yer the difference is if you breed a semi auto a few generations you get full auto. The auto affy stays semi after inbreeding the line. That auto trait is what makes it kind of different. 

Edited by brock1
  • Like 1

bollox to it.

I'm getting the seed stoockers USA auto mix. I will be doing a dairy on each of the 4 strains, growing all 3 seeds of one variety at a time and we will see what happens :smokin:

• Like 7
On 21/12/2021 at 9:24 AM, brock1 said:

Never tried my auto's then. Selecting is the key and I select at a microscopic level. I also destroy crops to find the hardest parents. No commercial breeder does this because its not cost effective. Lots of auto look nice but don't actually ripen. Instead they go ginger with age and have mostly clear trichomes. I have come along way. Over 14yr of breeding this strain now.

nope i never tried em /  your autos ! no will i .... tbh i find autos crap entirely + a waste of  leccy :shock:  i dont care who made them imho they rubbish bach + i stand on that. i bid ewe good day :yawn:  alb with em. :skin_up:

Edited by thekingofobsolete
fuked

Seems that folks tend to get hung up with straight up comparisons regarding light hours/photoperiod length as a way, between auto and photo.  The reality is, it just doesn't work out like that and there are a multiple of factors to be considered, light being but one of them.

It depends on your space much more and the environment provided for them.  For instance you could throw many watts at them and still get fuck all in real terms for it if your environment is out and there's not enough air being moved through them/humidity levels kept at optimum etc.  

For my system I did the maths and it worked out that I was better off, financially speaking, by running photos.  This is because I used lower power lamps to veg them until final pots, before putting them into the bloom box under HID.  Running autos meant I needed that power on them from the off and in order to get them going sharpish before they start putting flowers out of course. 

But that was my system and with newer LED setups, things may be a little different.  Always remember though, you have a certain amount of space available and that is the most limiting factor as once that space is maxed, you're not going to get any more out of it, whether photo or auto.

• Like 9
16 hours ago, botanics said:

Seems that folks tend to get hung up with straight up comparisons regarding light hours/photoperiod length as a way, between auto and photo.  The reality is, it just doesn't work out like that and there are a multiple of factors to be considered, light being but one of them.

It depends on your space much more and the environment provided for them.  For instance you could throw many watts at them and still get fuck all in real terms for it if your environment is out and there's not enough air being moved through them/humidity levels kept at optimum etc.  

For my system I did the maths and it worked out that I was better off, financially speaking, by running photos.  This is because I used lower power lamps to veg them until final pots, before putting them into the bloom box under HID.  Running autos meant I needed that power on them from the off and in order to get them going sharpish before they start putting flowers out of course. 

But that was my system and with newer LED setups, things may be a little different.  Always remember though, you have a certain amount of space available and that is the most limiting factor as once that space is maxed, you're not going to get any more out of it, whether photo or auto.

I grow them as a tool. Firstly it was a tool for breeding semi autos/fast versions. I wish I could make the claims most seem to as being the first to do this but unfortunately not i have only 2 decades of it under my belt. I am not to full of myself to realise that the first I know off were early skunks by the SSSC way back in the days and someone undoubtedly done it even before then. 

Secondly it was a tool to understand mutations and breeding. I will claims to be 1 of the first to tell people that auto flowering genetics are not and never were resesive but actually dominant over 10yr ago now. I suppose that it's by studying these plants that also took me down the path of plant genetics and their link to hormones. Stuff like the crazy claims that cannabis is a male/female population. Another lie passed down from not actually doing the research. Near all cannabis is hermaphrodite you can change a male to have female reproduction organs and vice versa. 

What I do find amazing is the amount of people that jump on a clone the just found or got given. They cross it to everything or self it and claims to be a breeder. It was only recently that these breeders realised not every feminised seed is a S1 (selfed generation no1) the label that most plant breeders actually use is simple R1 (revered generation no1) for example using pollen from a revered female of skunk to a cheese would be R1 so would a skunk revered and breed to the other femalesin the packet be correctly labelled R1. 

I am ranting now so I will leave it their. :offtopic: My point is simply that auto plant are 1 of the best plants to study if you want to understand breeding better. However it's also a bad thing if abused and breed to everything so treat it with respect :hippy:

• Like 5

Ive ordered the USA Auto mix - 12 seeds, 4 varieties, containing 3x OG Kush , 3 x Girl Scout Cookies, 3 x Gelato 41, 3x Gorilla Glue.

As I have purchased these, I will be doing a non biased, grow diary of the 4 strains, all grown under the same lights and conditions. 

• Like 5

Before I forget as this thread is about advice here is some advice based on 20yr of observation. Cheek trichcomes. I read lots of people saying auto are not strong. Maybe they are not observing their plant's enough or not doing the research properly? But here it is my no1 tip for auto's growers. If your trichcomes are not going amber reduce the hours of light. THC are produced during the dark hours and destroyed by light. So by reducing the hours of light in the last few weeks of flowering you can produce THC as strong as any photo if not stronger with a full auto crop.

• Like 10