Thinking of going AUTO for next grow - advice

RUFUS HOUND

17 hours ago, MindSoup said:

The only one I've ever grown that I liked was Short Hazy Dayz x Auto Ultimate by @brock1, not sure if you'd have much luck getting hold of any mind you. Other than that one every auto I've ever tried (mostly outdoor) has been total wetbags, where any tiny problem can fuck them up for life, the whole idea of them being hardy and easy to grow seems like a myth to me. They also never seem to have as interesting flavours/odours/highs as photo's. That being said other people seem to have good results that satisfy their needs/tastes. I'm by no means an expert grower so it's probably my own failings, but I will always have hardyness and vigour at the top of the list, I'm not one for doting over princesses. 

Thanks for the kind words mate I am glade you liked them. So far I have not had 1 singlepersongive bad feedback on any of the SHD crosses I put out. It wasn't easy making these auto and I binned more plsnts than I grow with well over a decade of breeding going into the original SHD and no short cuts taken. I haven't been able to make anymore seeds because of health issues but hopefully I can do more over the next few months to get another batch out their for more people to try as they get a lot of interest. I have grown 1000's of auto's and  the SHD is my favourite to. I might sound like I am blowing my own trumpet but its true. Lots of work went into selecting to make these auto's long before the big companies jumped onto the auto band wagon :thumsup:

• Like 10
10 hours ago, thekingofobsolete said:

im not sure but this 1 is one of the last auto`s i done,it was colorado cookies dutch passion in 7 litres of husk :yep:  big yielder no flavour fuk knows if it got me stoned i had a few other bits and pieces cooking + i was smoking several varietys daily :beer:

medium.IMG-20190307-WA0010.jpg.94914648c

not for me though :thumbdown:

Never tried my auto's then. Selecting is the key and I select at a microscopic level. I also destroy crops to find the hardest parents. No commercial breeder does this because its not cost effective. Lots of auto look nice but don't actually ripen. Instead they go ginger with age and have mostly clear trichomes. I have come along way. Over 14yr of breeding this strain now.

• Like 5

@brock1 it's a real masterpiece brother, my only wish is that I could keep a mum (the other reason I don't really grow autos) because everyone who smoked a bit of that plant wanted more lol. The high was soaring and psychedelic, few times felt like the mushies where about to kick in. The terpene profile was next level, exotic and unique. I'll be getting more of anything you might bring to the table for sure. 

E2A all the best with your health problems. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2
16 hours ago, QFMAC said:

I usually mess up autos, and I much prefer Photoperiods myself but I've given Fast Buds Blue Dream Matic a go.

I've not treated her with special gloves and I'm surprised and impressed actually. Week 5 and doing really well. I've transplanted, RH in low to mid 30's in veg (not good) multiple lst and defoliated her twice; she's doing great and buds fucking galore. 

I think people mistake them stunting sometimes when they're not? I did, so thought fuck it, rather then pull it, see what happens. She took the fuck off is what happened lol:naughty::toldya:

I've been smoking the bluedream for the past 4 weeks, absolutely lovely taste and packs a punch (and I've got tolerance). I'm smoking some now.

It's nearly run out which I'm a bit gutted about, still got 2 seeds though so deffo starting another one next.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

Hi all, want to give autos a try on my next grow, is there anything you cant do with autos that you could with photos?

Can I scrog, top, LST as normal?  

Any strains recommended - I do like a nice haze and toke daily, so want something 20% THC or greater.

Thanks in advance :yep:

Don't do it I just did 6 and most yeld was 13g rubbish and no decently in the bud drys light and fluffy not worth electric cost photos loads better just have to wait longer im a big haze fan myself doing g13 haze at present good luck with your growing 

7 hours ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

thanks for top info guys  - how many plants and what size pots in a 60x60. currently run 3 x 8L with photos

If you're after a variety then something similar would be ok, but an auto won't get massive in an 8L.

I use 80×80 tents and I've found 1 auto in a 7gallon pot is my sweet spot, a bit of lst and it fills the tent. 

2 plants in 3gallon pots will be a good fit for a 60×60 also.

Are you going to top or train then?

• Like 1

I used to top all my autos, had a little rule of 4th node by 21 days, some like it some don't,  so to me it was only reliable if you knew the strain well.

I lst them all now, much more consistent for me. There's like a growth wave that if you catch it and don't stress them they just burst with growth.

modern autos are strong, I've seen people top them, quad them, sgrog them, all sorts and still end up with great yeild, that's why I say great them like a normal plant, just gotta keep that growth spurt going. Ride the wave.

• Like 3

English gallon=4.5ltrs

American=4ltrs (they always simplify)

So English 3gallon is close to 14ltrs, but the 12ltrs works just as well. Depends what company you buy from.

16 hours ago, Grow lady said:

Don't do it I just did 6 and most yeld was 13g rubbish and no decently in the bud drys light and fluffy not worth electric cost photos loads better just have to wait longer im a big haze fan myself doing g13 haze at present good luck with your growing 

People read others comments and thats twice you've come into the auto section to call them crap and make out like it's the autos fault you've only pulled 13g.

Not being funny but if I did 6 autos I'd  be realistically aiming to pull a kilo and a half. Pipe down with the nonsense 

A bad workman always blames thier tools.

• Like 18

I like sweet seeds sweet gelato auto. I can normally flower a little one out in the veg cupboard whilst the main plants are growing.

i don’t agree with a few things about autos. I’ve had some of the biggest auto plants after topping them. You just have to do it really early so the plant resets it’s growth pattern well before buds show. This will extend the veg period but it isn’t stunting them they will just need some recovery time and longer to grow the branches than a single main.

i agree with the above though. I doubt I’d manage @blackpoolbouncers kilo in my 80 x 80 canopy but 13grams is exceptionally poor.

large.DSC_0079.JPG

that auto gave me half an ounce and the pot was tiny.

personally, except for sneaking a little gelato in my veg space to make the most of the electric I’m leaving autos alone. You grow them for a quick turn around but they can take just as long. I would recommend getting a fast flowering photo, the seedstockers cookie and cream I’ve just done could be finished in under three months with a small veg period and the buds are so much better.

• Like 4