20 minutes ago, KevL said:

i'm certain i'm going to lose the trainwreck, a wreck she is,.. she didn't like the flip to 12/12,.. responded badly and she's dying,...

i've killed many, many plants in my time, flipping them is not one of the reasons lol

• Like 1

@ratdog hm,.. well she looked ok during veg although she was the smallest plant in terms of growth compared to my others..., within the first 24 hours on 12/12 i noticed she went wilty and since then most of her leaves, fan leaves including the new top growth have turned yellow mostly starting at the tips... as she was grown in situ from feminized seed along with my other 4x, keeping everything the same, same growing conditions & compost etc,.. i've had to put it down to bad genetics it must be,.. 3x others are cookies, one's a giant! and 1x NL and they're doing great in my compost mix unless u can think of something else it could be?,.. it's no big loss to me really,... i'm not growing for max yield or anything it's really just an experiment trying to learn how this stuff responds to my compost, the same mix i've used over the years growing all my other stuff.

10 minutes ago, KevL said:

well she looked ok during veg

the cause of her demise will be something else, there's a million to chose from and i've probably seen them all lol , but 12/12 is not it 

i'm far from the best, experienced grower but i can say 100%, light hours changing does not cause the symptoms you have given, in fact you are the very first to suggest this in my time here from the posts i have read.

• Like 1

If he was already having temps in the low end then when he flipped to 12/12 they would drop further which could well have been the cause of the wilting. 

• Like 4

ok the best way i can illustrate the problem is with of course pics - these i took an hour ago the wreck included - yes my temps are low,... atm it's 19.5C in the tent but i'm happy with my other plants - i don't see temperature an issue though - my tropical specimens including Ginger which is strictly an indoor plant that needs a grow tent and plenty of light thrives at temps as low as 15C - i can understand that mid 20s would be ideal for max yield in the shortest time frame but i wasn't aiming for that - this was a trial mainly to see how well they did in my soil mix - any buds i get from these is just a bonus!

47 minutes ago, KevL said:

ok the best way i can illustrate the problem is with of course pics - these i took an hour ago the wreck included - yes my temps are low,... atm it's 19.5C in the tent but i'm happy with my other plants - i don't see temperature an issue though - my tropical specimens including Ginger which is strictly an indoor plant that needs a grow tent and plenty of light thrives at temps as low as 15C - i can understand that mid 20s would be ideal for max yield in the shortest time frame but i wasn't aiming for that - this was a trial mainly to see how well they did in my soil mix - any buds i get from these is just a bonus!

It's not fair to compare ginger to weed. Different species etc.

It will most likely be the root ball temps, if they're out of whack the whole plant tends to follow soon after.

The others may just be more hardy, with lower temps comes a range of other potential issues, overwatering being one, and my first thought 

• Like 1

Hi @blerie420 well i was considering excavating out this plant from her pot and having a good look at the root system after it's had a good wash and soak,...watering i've always kept to a minimum anyway,...although for the bigger plants they are getting thirsty now,...Lucy my monster plant the soil in her pot gets dry almost every other day now and she's on a litre of filtered rainwater every 2 days and her soil volume is 10x litres,...some would say that's low for watering but she looks good, the others get slightly less because they're smaller plants,... anyway i've checked again and temp in tent near the floor (it's only a small tent); is now 21.5C and i've had a poke down all the way into the soil the Trainwreck is in,.. it's damp as i would expect and no way saturated,.. my compost mix is free draining anyway as it contains a good amount of sharp sand,..tents up here upstairs with me, it's set up on a carpet floor and get's additional heat rising up from the rooms below,... and the rule i follow is simply that if i feel ok up here plants should be ok too... if not then tough lol

100% temperatures mate, 19° is definitely too low for roots and if thats your air temp they'll be a couple of degrees lower than that , also another thing people often overlook is using water straight from the cold tap which makes it even worse, you want your roots to stay above 20° at all times, preferably 25°ish. If she's the smallest plant overwatering could well be part of the problem too. 

What exactly is the recipe for your soil? I've not heard of people mixing in sand before when growing cannabis. I find it makes the medium settle over time which reduces aeration, another thing cannabis doesn't like. 

If you're determined to grow at such low temperatures I would recommend only growing strains that would do well outdoors, Real Gorilla Seeds (site sponsor) have a really good selection of outdoor strains, that I imagine would do better in that situation than something acclimated to more tropical temperatures. I'm considering trying this next winter to cut down on heating cost. Something like their Affiedaze or Gorilla Haze perhaps.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, KevL said:

and the rule i follow is simply that if i feel ok up here plants should be ok too.

This is not a rule you should be following at all lol

• Like 3
15 hours ago, ratdog said:

i've killed many, many plants in my time, flipping them is not one of the reasons lol

It'd train wreck I'm trying to reveg I thought it was a autos so she's only in a 5 litre pot and she's 2 weeks behind my other photos cos left her with autos for 2 weeks and already she's got loads think Dence buds so I'm trying to get one to save her strain if it fails I will be buying the seeds again to grow again im a haze lover personally g13 just flowers for upto 14 weeks she's worth the wait though 

@MindSoup - ok sir many thanks for your input,.. i've ordered a tube heater to beef up temp in tent,.. i was unaware that canna', well some strains at least, are so thermophillic! i mean wow soil as warm as that!,... however by comparison one of my 5 plants a G.S.Cookie really took off,... you can see from the pics ^ even as a young seedling she was bigger than all the others,.. kind of a super seed i thought compared to my other smaller plants in the tent,...so she's kind of set the standard really for me,... no there is defo no overwatering that has contributed to the failure of the trainwreck.

I've always avoided tap water and out in the garden i've seen the drastic effects of limelock,...Limestone chippings were used as a back fill for a drain that runs under one of my flower borders :( but that's another story,... last thing i want is a build up of mineral salts in my soil so i've always used rainwater from my water butt outside,... i filter it through tissue into empty plastic 2 litre milk bottles and keep them up here to bring them up to temperature before use,...There seems to be a lot of promotion on here with products that relate to cannabis growing; - unfortunately i've never had any experience using any of them - i can only trust what i know works with my other plants and shrubs and apply it to this grow - So i was a bit reluctant to post external links to products not supported by this site, i don't want anyone thinking i'm trying to promote products not related to cannabis growing, i'm not - but i can say from this trial that i have a G.S.Cookie that loves the stuff - her healthy foliage tells me so anyway - and she's doing really well despite my low temperatures !!! - from a seed that had good genetics, i was just lucky i guess.

I've aways been a big fan of Westlands multi purpose compost enriched with BIO3 - https://www.gardenhealth.com/advice/soil-and-compost/why-use-multi-purpose-compost-with-bio3 - however on it's own i still think it gets a bit too 'claggy' when wet holding too much water for my liking,... so i mix in a bit more sharp sand,...to that i mix in some VITAX slow release pellets -  https://www.gardenworld.co.uk/product/azalea-rhododendron-and-shrub-fertiliser/  however when i ordered the tent (it was a complete set up) i got it with a bag of coco coir fibre a product i've never used before so i bulked it out a little with some of that too.

I mixed up a wheelbarrow full to start with back in summer, and i've just let it sit and condition - stored in sealed black bags in the spare room up here - i was never intending to use coco-coir i've never had any experience with it like i said but quite a few on here seem to use it so i thought it won't do any harm adding some - the recipe i've used for this grow (% pbv) was as follows:-

Westlands multi purpose compost with BIO3 ------------------  55

coco coir fibre ----------------------------------------------------- 25

washed sharp sand ----------------------------------------------- 15

Vitax ericaceous organic slow release pellets ------------------  5

All my outdoor container shrubs and house plants are in this stuff (minus the coco coir) - they've been sat in the stuff for years and they all seem to love it,... always have vibrant healthy green foliage and i get a nice harvest each year from my blueberry, Raspberry, Fennel,.. my Oregano Basil Rocket & Spinach do well in the stuff - ornemental flowering shrubs like Viburnum tinus,... more recently my sad looking stunted Fatsia japonica was dug out of the garden and put in a giant pot of this mix,.. leaves turned from a sickly yellow to a deep glossy green in no time - 10 months on she's split the pot now she's grown that big and for the first time ever (had this struggling shrub for 5 years), she's flowered :)

consistency of this mix gives a free draining soil, it is honestly impossible to over-water and it stays aerated once the water has drained off - even more so if you use fabric pots which helps movement of air to the roots too.

@KevL Westlands mtp with bio3...that's new horizon isn't it?

Do yer canna plants a massive favour and sack it off , especially if you've not tried any of the latest batch of it , it's yard scrapings unfortunately. (I have to try and sell it for a living so I'm very familiar with it and alternatives)

It's also already rammed full of coco coir so I wouldn't want to add too much more (the bulk of the bio3 is Coco).

You can also leave out the sand and save it for things that appreciate it too ( a bit in a no till set-up wouldn't go amiss)

:yinyang:

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, KevL said:

so i've always used rainwater

rain water can harbour pathogens, and some of the older growers avoid using it.

i use straight from the tap, no issues apart from no magnesium lol (there's next to no mag in rain water either i have just discovered)

• Like 2

@BilgePump - duly noted with thanks,.. just checking my cuttings,... i started them off in sand until they rooted and they're now in my compost mix,...they seem to be doing just fine,... the G.S Cookies i snipped from the big monster one i have are taking off with great vigour,... ok then,.. sorry i can only go by what the plants are telling me,... the secret must be in the vitax slow release pellets then - pH on pot run off for these cuttings is 5.0 but i don't use a meter i only use litmus paper which never lies - i do have a meter but the buffer solution for the probe is way off i don't trust the reading not until i can be bothered getting some fresh buffer solution made up.