Pot Messiah tart baker

Rural Buddha

Now things have calmed down I can begin the challenge. Getting late now so will set a seed tomorrow when I'm less tired.

Living the high life :) 

large.fancy_lunch.jpg

large.ss_wg_partkit.jpg

Mini USB air pump and stone, net pot, 2 x pumps - 1 to pump in the other to pump out. Not sure how I'm going to set the 'brain pot' up yet.

large.pn_rdwc-kit.jpg

• Like 18

Thanks @Shumroom - I'm only playing :) if I do well that's a bonus. I take part in a few games and sports, quite often truly only making up the numbers, but that's OK - I enjoy the taking part - mostly, bad beats at online poker will get me swearing if the other player has garbage that they should never have played!

Two buns in the oven beans in the airing cupboard. Trimmed the corners off a Root Riot, cut the corner off a Mykos Root Pak and emptied half of it out. Flattened the 'teabag' out and wrapped it around the Riot. Poked some small bits of Hydrocorn down the sides, made a ~15mm deep hole with a pencil and popped a bean* straight in with tweezers, gave it three squirts of tap water with Rhizotonic and that'll do for the RDWS King pot. Mixed around 3-1 Clover MPC with Canna Pro+ coco, stirred in some of the loose Mykos in, packed noodle pot and put the rest of the Mykos under where the bean will germinate. Made another ~15mm deep hole and popped the bean in, three squirts of Rhizotonic water, Bluemat Classic carrot pushed in (not soaked or primed yet) and that will do for a 'normal' Pot Noodle grow.

* Not soaked or germinated.

large_sown.jpg

• Like 13

Edited on - saved off the Seedstockers' website and added in. I use the GIMP for all my photo editing. A search using StartPage for gimp should be safe :)

• Like 4

Thanks bud, may steal that idea if that’s cool?

I think it would look cool in the corner of every pic.

Edited by Tegridy Farms
  • Like 3

There's life!

Compost pot seed broke ground yesterday and has been transferred to tent. Noticed this morning that a tiny root is showing through the net-pot so DWC pot transferred to tent too to encourage the seeding to head towards the light.

Popped cover over as humidity in airing cupboard (and tent) probably a bit low, Root Riot looked very dry. I'll take the cover off as soon as the seedling appears above 'ground'.

large.both_pots.jpg

Compost pot after gentle spray with Rhizotonic water.

large.compost_seedling.jpg

I'm using my 1x1x2 Green Box tent, 200W Maxibright Daylight LED (on 60% power at mo.), 4" fan and filter and 1000W oil radiator. Passive air intake via opening that rad sits by. 

Temp. at moment only 23°C - got to get that up but bottom bedroom not heated. Going to put old duvet on top of tent for a bit of insulation.

Humidity also low at 41% so have placed a tub of water and sprinkled a bit around the floor and wall near heater.

• Like 9

All looks very technical in here, very nice, look forward to seeing the P-DWC in action.

Feeling you with the temps, could do with a mild winter,

Good luck with the grow and the comp.

:oldtoker:

• Like 4

Thanks @Clumsy - we'll see if I can cobble together a working P-DWC. P-DWC - I like that, I've been trying to think of a suitable abbreviation.

I'm going to call today day 2 (+1 for P-DWC pot, -1 for Blumat pot since appearing).

Hallelujah - it's seen the light! :) I'll top feed the P-DWC pot several times a day while I rig-up the water and air pump system.

The compost Blumat pot will get just water for a while, not even from the Blumat carrot when I'll start with a weak feed mix of something.

Temps up a bit, humidity still a bit low, remembered the wet towel way of humidifying a space so hung a dampened towel in the tent.

large.day_2.jpg

• Like 9

Day 3

I can't see this working - this setup (bodge) needs more than fine tuning. The concept appears to work but heat is going to be the problem.

I need to get the res and pumps out of the tent, the noodle pot will need a jacket - perhaps a water-cooled one!

The reason the seedlings are on upturned noodle pots is there are two other plants in small pots (one a noodle pot that I started before with a cutting) - I see an accident waiting to happen. Everything needs a proper sort out!

Weak feed of Plagron Hydro a+b (~0.5EC), a few drops of Tribus and down to 5.6.

One pump inputs the other outputs - sort of recirculating, keeping an eye on them to see if the pumps are reasonably matched, or if I'm going to get a flood - less than 2lt in the system so not a major issue.

Air gap 15-20mm.

Air pump is hanging above the seedlings to avoid water getting in to it.

Tagging @badbillybob, @stu914 and @zen-ken so you can have a laugh at this madness :)

large.life-support.jpg

• Like 14

Pumps aren't similar on rate, the one taking out of the pot is faster so noodle pot would eventually empty after a few hours constant running.

For the moment I've set up a timer to run the pumps for 20 minutes every 6 hours. I'll see how that works out.

I'm busy tomorrow - looks like I'll be rearranging stuff over the weekend.

• Like 2

Day 4

Difference in pump ratios being dealt with by running the input one separately for about 30 seconds to top the noodle pot up. When I've done the tidy up that the tent needs I'll try to even the pumps out - paperclip on pipe to slow the flow a touch?

A few more roots showing out the bottom of the net-pot - something may be working after all :)

Babies doing OK, the other plants have been severely mistreated and will likely be binned. They were cuttings off RGS Freezland in the Mr. Cockup thread, left hand one is in a small Pot Noodle pot with a Blumat Classic, the other was supposed to have been potted up but I forgot/was lazy. They were kinda 'lab test' subjects being fed just a weak mix of Doff Tomato liquid feed.

large_day3.jpg

The full horror - hopefully this mess will be tidied up by Sunday

large.tentmess.jpg

• Like 8