Whatwentwrong

Enjoy this so far buddy. I'm with the on Thai green! Good luck not that you air potters need it ;)

Thought an prayers..

Enjoy your cake. 

• Like 4

I'm guessing it will require even more watering than normal due to the holes.

Good luck with the grow and good outside of the box thinking.

• Like 3

@tokenroll @Military Grade

dont worry lads I have a solution.

I’ve probed it.

Now my probe is a little over sized so I could only get the tip in but it’s controlled by an arduino uno so it is quite a complex piece of kit.

large.47E06C3A-CE93-4AA0-A30B-EB5F14EAFB36.jpeg

it’s a 2nd generation probe, has more range than a 1.2 so it’ll detect even the slightest change in moisture whilst it’s in that hole. As soon as the pot dries out it’ll give it a good soak.

shes just a bit too small for it to work effectively at the minute but I felt I better stick it in before the root ball establishes so they can grow around it and not get sliced in half by it.

Edited by Whatwentwrong
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

The air noodle is moving slowly due to being under a 65w light

she’s looking nice though

large.0C8DB42E-B03F-48F3-A9D8-B57936473F97.jpeglarge.07040184-B464-4C54-AAD1-8D064993712B.jpeglarge.503A28D8-61A2-4F05-8457-6CA5E9E7FEFD.jpeg

she’s very healthy, they definitely prefer a super soil these seedstockers strains as opposed to a light mix. 

the roots aren’t big enough to have found the air holes yet but on a brighter note the green on the noodle pot really matches the green of the leaves. So there’s a nice ambience going on in the germination chamber.

i have another plant below which is currently taking up the 120w light but which will be done in a week or so then this can have a more usable spectrum. 

im also gonna bin off the smaller light and the shelf and put in some wall pot holders to make the most of one light. Gonna order them now. Get the air pot in the air. Double air pot.

(Ps, The probe is in it still it’s just at the back).

• Like 11

Just a little up date for me noodle

i decided to lift her up on a pot stand. Get the air noodle in the air so it gets, err, airy?

as big as she is though I cannot see any roots anywhere, I’m sure they’re there but their tips aren’t showing yet. 

I think I might cut her at the second node as well but I’m unsure at the moment. I’ll have a think tonight but I’m sure it’ll happen.

look, flying without wings.

large.4434A76D-0188-482B-A308-A575E855EB51.jpeg
Full air noodle now.

Now i know what your all thinking:

why would he chop it in half.

is he off his head

she looks lovely

wont she produce more like that

will he use scissors

how will all the other plants feel about it

it’s as gripping as an episode of emerdale I know.

the truth is, who knows if topping such a small plant will help but it’s a competition so you have to do something to stand out. Take risks so to speak, and it’s not like I haven’t got time to veg her back out. April next year is the deadline so I’m definitely gonna mainline the air noodle. 

oh well, tune in next week to find out.

Edited by Whatwentwrong
  • Like 13

Well, after getting thoroughly up set with some expensive failed seeds I decided to do some clones on the next grow. Save messing around with more seeds.

so to get a nice healthy wedding glue clone to fit in with the others I decided that now was the time to top the air noodle.

large.1458AC9C-9459-48FD-8A04-99E0DF66B857.jpeglarge.5CD35736-3538-4233-98CB-193151A60C99.jpeg

so there she as and as you can see she’s topless. Not a fan in site either (really is like emerdale this). She looks happy though.

so I’ll probably start a diary somewhere else for the clones as it has nothing to do with the noodle (and also, you know, the roots are no longer in the pot). Here’s a photo though anyway.

large.B2EC50F6-447C-4555-90AC-6F0A8F4EA95B.jpeg

The wedding glue is the one on her own on the left. They have the root it stuff, cube, gel and first feed. They’re all seedstockers, the other four are candy dawg (nearest two) and cookies and cream (farthest two).

the candy dawg has rooted easy enough, about 7 days. The others only went in yesterday so they have time yet.

so much nice weed to come.

• Like 13

Flying along, lovely looking lady :yep:

Is your little probe BT or do you need to connect it to take readings? Nice bit of kit.

Best of luck with the comp and the grow,

:oldtoker:

• Like 2

Just now, Clumsy said:

Flying along, lovely looking lady :yep:

Is your little probe BT or do you need to connect it to take readings? Nice bit of kit.

Best of luck with the comp and the grow,

:oldtoker:

thanks mate.

yeah the probe needs a wire. I’ve tried to take a photo of the one in the cookie and cream but now I have them dialled in I’ll do a thread in the environment showing the two types. 

the one in the CC is a four plant kit search elecrow plant watering on amazon) but the one in the drobe is a single plant. It comes from a company called wayintop on amazon for £15 but you want to upgrade the pump.

this one is £70 on amazon and is pretty epic. This works straight out the box but the other one needs a program flashing to the board which is really easy but still, if you buy the kit the software should be pre flashed like the elecrow

large.97D684D9-D29A-48F1-9D29-83C3A29F64D5.jpeg

if you check out the other diary I have running for Amarillo you’ll see the single plant one a bit.

the only issue I’m having is that they have leds on that cant be turned off so I’m having to box them.

you can buy loads of different sensors and tons of 12v/240v relay switches so you could programme it to control everything but I struggled creating this 20 line bit of code adding those would be beyond my limits.

• Like 8

Looking great so far and i'm really curious to see how the topping goes over the next few weeks, being three weeks behind lets everyone else be the Guinee pig :naughty: Maybe if we ask nice @Seedstockers-Mark will provide an average veg time for the wedding glue's to get a better idea of how long we have to work with. 
 Those little sensors are handy looking; im guessing it works out cheaper in exchange for finding/writing the code yourself, flashing them, sourcing and adding sensor modules, etc? Sounds like my kind of fun so ill also be checking out your thread in :yep:

• Like 5

2 hours ago, KingAether said:

Those little sensors are handy looking; im guessing it works out cheaper in exchange for finding/writing the code yourself, flashing them, sourcing and adding sensor modules, etc?

hi mate

its actually cheaper to buy all the bits separately off aliexpress but if they don’t work after the flight your stuck and as they are fiddly it’s safer to use amazon and pay the extra couple of quid.

they give you code to flash on it but as of yet none has worked so I had to write my own.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Whatwentwrong said:

hi mate

its actually cheaper to buy all the bits separately off aliexpress but if they don’t work after the flight your stuck and as they are fiddly it’s safer to use amazon and pay the extra couple of quid.

they give you code to flash on it but as of yet none has worked so I had to write my own.

I think i worded that a bit wrong but that's what i meant, i guessed it would be cheaper to get the bits and do the work yourself than a plug and play. Ive been having a look around and is it the grove sensor ?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KingAether said:

I think i worded that a bit wrong but that's what i meant, i guessed it would be cheaper to get the bits and do the work yourself than a plug and play. Ive been having a look around and is it the grove sensor ?

no man, there the expensive stuff.

the components are made by elegoo and wayintop cheap Chinese but they have been ok so far.

i was using resistance sensors previously with foil coatings but the foil degraded too quickly. I have capacitive ones now which should last much longer but they are really cheap to replace.

if you google “capacitive moisture sensor v2.0” the first sensor that comes up. A black one with v2.0 written on it. And then google “wayintop automated watering kit” to see a bargain bucket version of the grove stuff with that sensor included.

it uses an arduino r3 uno board as opposed to a Pi

• Like 4

I see, i see, thank you again. I also see this being a new obsession for a little while to try and put something together that will check soil and water PH, light, pressure, temp and humidity. If i can do that for under £50 ill be happy 

• Like 3