Which wifi/bluetooth temp/humidity sensors do you use?

RUFUS HOUND

18 hours ago, Gaijin said:

I've seen a fair few Air Comforts in photos all around this place, and some well-respected growers using them, so that's my plan at this point. Mine will be in a shed away from the house, so I probably won't have any connectivity other than when I go out there. So I'll have a record, but it's not like I'll be able to get minute to minute data unless I'm in the shed lol  Probably not a bad thing, or I'll be checking it every 30 seconds :doh:  

Unless someone knows a way to boost my house Wi-Fi signal to make it work in an insulated shed 30 feet away  :naughty:  Please share    

I had an air comfort and they are massively inaccurate both with temp and humidity but especially humidity. I tested the air comfort and the sensor push for humidity using the salt test and aircomfort was way off and there’s no way to calibrate them. If you really want to dial in your VPD then you need something that’s accurate and that you can calibrate, the aircomfort even states it can be out by 5% in RH which is huge if you’re trying to get your VPD right. I also found that it was inaccurate at higher temps 28 degrees plus.I’ve been through so many sensors even the xiomi is more accurate than the aircomfort. Plus the aircomfort app is awful. Sensorpush just works 100% of the time. I ended up getting the sensorpush http.xw which is the super accurate but expensive one (£75) it takes a couple of days to acclimatise to your room but it gives accurate readings every time.  All depends how much you want to dial in your environment and how accurate you need your data to be.

Edited by Woozy
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Woozy said:

I had an air comfort and they are massively inaccurate both with temp and humidity but especially humidity

This was my experience too. RH readings were out by a whopping 9% (reading too low) which is a danger to security with filter seepage - I thought my RH was 65% when in reality it was more like 74%. Temp reading was 2°C higher than it should be. 

No way to calibrate but as it was reliably inaccurate, I kept on using it. Less than a year on and it's given up the ghost completely :thumbdown: I found the app to be pretty decent while the unit worked. 

I've tried the Inkbird IBS-TH1 (love their thermostats) but the connectivity and app were absolute trash. 

Will give the Sensor Push a try!

• Like 2

@Woozy  @SYZYGY  a couple of damning testimonies. It would seem worth investing a few quid more for the Sensor Push.

To be honest, I'm not sure what level of detail and accuracy I'm going to want or need, as my first indoor grow has yet to start lol  But over the course of the last year on here, it seems that humidity and temp are fairly important parameters to stay on top of. Without something telling me what I need to know, I'll be all over the place :doh:  

• Like 1

Never found any of them to be accurate.  For giggles I put about 6 different temp/humidity measures, all different types, in one tent.  None measured the same, big range of results. 

Now I just assume they're all bollocks and use one as a rough 'should I investigate further' measure. 

5 minutes ago, Gaijin said:

@Woozy  @SYZYGY  a couple of damning testimonies. It would seem worth investing a few quid more for the Sensor Push.

To be honest, I'm not sure what level of detail and accuracy I'm going to want or need, as my first indoor grow has yet to start lol  But over the course of the last year on here, it seems that humidity and temp are fairly important parameters to stay on top of. Without something telling me what I need to know, I'll be all over the place :doh:  

Temp and humidity are really important and when you start it’s just ball park, but as you get better you’ll want to dial it in to get a better quality product. That’s what happened to me anyway and I’ve spent a small fortune on temp and humidity sensors until I found the right one. I got the most expensive sensor push but I think they can all be calibrated so as long as you can do that it doesn’t matter if it’s slightly out because you can correct it. Mine was bang on straight out the box.

• Like 2

I'm assuming that calibration instructions are included. I need guidance lol

I was planning on using the Inkbird IHC-200 to control a humidifier and dehumidifier. I guess I should ask about the reliability of these, too :doh:  

Just now, Gaijin said:

I'm assuming that calibration instructions are included. I need guidance lol

I was planning on using the Inkbird IHC-200 to control a humidifier and dehumidifier. I guess I should ask about the reliability of these, too :doh:  

Google “calibrate humidity sensor” there are videos on YouTube too. Essentially you use different salts which when damp and sealed in a container produce a certain level of humidity. You want to do a 2 point calibration so one just below the lowest humidity you want to measure, so one around 30% RH and one above the highest so around 70% RH. These salts will produce the same RH at a certain temperature every time, from the results of these you can calibrate. If your inkbirds are out then you’ll know from your sensor and can adjust them accordingly. There are lists online of all the different salts and what their RH is at certain temperatures, it’s pretty easy just need to do a bit of reading first.

• Like 2

On 08/10/2021 at 4:13 AM, KC said:

I use Govee, it does all the graphs and whatnot but I don't really bother, quick look on the phone is enough for me. It usually connects easily enough. It seems pretty accurate or at least that and the normal hygrometer seem to agree with each other. 

I think it was 15quid. 

I went for the same, I think it's an extra fiver or something for a pack of 2

• Like 1

I guess its all down to your budget and needs - I think for £4 to 5 the mijia cant be beaten for a first time dabble into remote monitoring.

I know id be well pissed off if I spent £60 on one and it wasnt accurate.

On 08/10/2021 at 4:13 AM, KC said:

I use Govee, it does all the graphs and whatnot but I don't really bother, quick look on the phone is enough for me. It usually connects easily enough. It seems pretty accurate or at least that and the normal hygrometer seem to agree with each other. 

I think it was 15quid. 

Is it this one mate?

large.Screenshot_20211009-034154_Firefox.jpg

• Like 1

No mate, try govee room thermometer, they are on the bay for 17.94

@Military Grade

edit-that one you was looking at is just a better version I think as it has wifi. I wasn't bothered about the wifi.

Edited by KC
  • Like 1

@RUFUS HOUND I use Xiaomi, Meross and Inkbird, tied together from a raspberrypi running HomeAssistant. I did a little piece on it here.

When I first started messing about with HomeAssistant, you needed a reasonable

bit of tech knowledge, I have recently installed it and configured it all from my phone :yep:

The biggest drawback with wireless sensors are the fact they use batteries, I have had mine go during a grow completely out of the blue.

Inkbird are the best for grow rooms ime, plugged into the mains, but you can get a Meross sensor, hub and 2 plugs for ~ £30 and they do a job.

• Like 4