Good rice cooker for RSO?

Subliminal Criminal

Yea been toying with a airstill as look safer, my fire was too much to towel by the time i saw it as eye off the ball , Halon as under a canopy did just fine no spreadig if you know how to use an extinguisher . fook melted clothes non synths best.(But this is worst case senario) done gall's no trouble. bar smell worries:yinyang:

Edited by Personunknown

• 5 months later...

Rice cookers will lull you into a false sense of security.  I had a cheap one burn the RSO.  They ARE NOT "set and forget" solutions.  A double boiler, as mentioned already, is much cheaper with less, if any, risk of over-heating the product.  

The alcohol fumes are definitely present and will for certain make you drunk.  Probably not as much of a concern if you're using high proof grain alcohol, but I woldn't want to be breathing Iso fumes.  You really don't want to be breathing any.  I'm a booze hound who gave it up 7 years ago.  Cooking RSO with grain alcohol gave me a booze head change that really bummed me out.  So be warned- it can make you drunkish. 

The danger element is definitely there.  I wouldn't do it on a gas stove, but it doesn't seem as volatile as Butane.  Both of them are heavier than ambient air, though, so they will absolutely settle and accumulate on the floor indoors.  

When I do alcohol inside, I open doors and windows and use a fan to move air towards the exit points and use an electric stove.  It makes the outside stink like a liquor still, though.  There's not much good way to do it without being noticed if you live in an apartment complex, for example. 

• Like 1

Out door only!!! too much fire risk how ever heated , Do not use a gas stove lol rice cookers of any brand are ok if watched ( the can go up in smoke , ive got the T on that one), and run a fan accross the top to blow fumes away  if poss . or get a air still etc.

• Like 1

i found oil making very very messy, found making bubblehash to much trouble, making cakes and sweets with butter not needed, a magic butter machine 350g coconut oil 60g bud/trim small chunks 4 times daily is getting me through my twilight zone

• Like 3

On 24/06/2021 at 10:37 PM, Biokid said:

Iso fumes are just as explosive as Butane and the flash point is 12 Celsius so outside or don't bother.

How about open air evaporation over a week or two?

I have left iso out in a pyrex to evaporate in a garage / shed / out house loads of times

• Like 3

I really wouldn't want to use Iso, not when you can get grain alcohol so cheap. Ok not as cheap as Iso but I wouldn't worry so much about breathing it in.

Outdoors ftw 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Greenscreen said:

How about open air evaporation over a week or two?

I have left iso out in a pyrex to evaporate in a garage / shed / out house loads of times

Ok for small amounts i guess ,but takes forever with a couple hundred mls on a rad

• Like 2

@Greenscreen

@personunknown

Another thing to remember is that ISO is normally only 70 percent the other 30 being water. It also is hygroscopic in that it absorbs water from the atmosphere. The last bit of the evaporation is only water so will take ages without some help.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Personunknown said:

Ok for small amounts i guess ,but takes forever with a couple hundred mls on a rad

I don't even use a rad

Just leave and forget and come back to oil in a couple weeks lol

Usually when nagged by someone that it's in the way lol

Will look into grain alcohol. My iso is supposed to be 99% but you never know nowadays

Edited by Greenscreen
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Morning folks :) 

I’ve recently been made aware of certain internal issues that require medical investigation, which is ongoing. It would be highly beneficial, possibly even life-saving, if I were to stop burning things and inhaling the smoke lol It may also be too late for this to matter, but hopefully that’s not what the medical folks discover when they go take a decent look. 

So I’m looking at options, RSO being one of them. From what little I’ve read so far, RSO has potential benefits in the treatment of cancer? Or at least in minimising/softening the effects of chemo and so on. 

Anyway, technically I’ve been alcohol free for almost a year. 75% of a year, I guess. Seems like longer than that lol I have a hiatus hernia and I’ve damaged my oesophagus and ti cut a long story short, I’m very sensitive to certain things, alcohol being one of them. I said “technically” above - in October it was my birthday and I had one drink, a delicious cosmopolitan. And not long after, proceeded to throw up for a few hours. Great end to the birthday! lol 

So my question is, assuming I take the risks mentioned above, and assuming I perhaps spend a little extra in that area, will the finished product have any alcohol left in it? Is RSO 100% alcohol free? 

• Like 1

@Gaijin sorry for your ill’s dude :stoned:  have a little read about freezer purge..

make the oil, then place in freezer over night (or until it freezes) then back out to defrost fully, a little agitation, then back in freezer again.. do that a few times and i think it should release any iso left over from production..

historically, smoking pure weed is great for chemo if it gets that far :yep: 

all the best!

Edited by twigs
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, twigs said:

@Gaijin sorry for your ill’s dude :stoned:  have a little read about freezer purge..

make the oil, then place in freezer over night (or until it freezes) then back out to defrost fully, a little agitation, then back in freezer again.. do that a few times and i think it should release any iso left over from production..

historically, smoking pure weed is great for chemo if it gets that far :yep: 

all the best!

Thanks mate, appreciate that I do. They did a CT scan to look at my digestive tract, and while they were there, they noticed "shadows in both lungs" that would need further investigation as could not determine what they are. Could simply be scarring from 35 years of smoking or an old illness. Who knows. But this was mid-November, and no one seems to be in any great rush so I'm staying positive. But I'd been tending towards trying to stop smoking anyway. I gave the tobacco away a couple of days after getting told about the shadows. The RSO, to me, just looks so much simpler than having to bake more bloody brownies again lollol But alcohol's a no-no. So thank you, the freezer purge is something to look into :yep: 

Me and the missus have had the flu the last couple of days, with a nasty chesty cough. She went to the store to get flu pills and cough medicine. Except they don't seem to make cough medicine that doesn't have alcohol in it :doh:lol