2021 Green(hopefully)house grow

Rustybiff

Holla people, it’s been a busy couple of weeks and I haven’t had time to update the diary at all but I’ll try and get back on the once weekly schedule now! 

My AC Cloudline fan and controller arrived the other day so I now have odour free drying sorted. That NL was fairly stankin out the bedroom. I did what you suggested @Poisonata, trimmed off the sugar leaves and left it to continue drying, it’s been 7 days now and still a ways off!

Anyway, here are the plants. 

The Northern lights, not a bad main cola really, can’t gauge the size from these photographs unfortunately

large.7E7C0B8C-17F1-48E4-A5C1-15F1A0F3D416.jpeglarge.724ACE0A-1AFD-45FE-B474-BDCFA04333DC.jpeg

This purple punch is crawling along, the same as the two quick ones which I shamefully stunted. Kicking myself for it, but there’s always next year. I will keep my hands off autos from here on out, bar a bit of lst!

large.EDF65E37-5522-43E0-9EBF-103678F8355E.jpeg

Can anyone tell me if this is a magnesium deficiency?

large.8770423F-242E-4F83-A1FE-0E8EA0C5344B.jpeg

2x quick ones (don’t laugh)

large.0847B4F4-8D40-45BC-B6D8-6C58E51DD9E8.jpeg

This gelato is getting there, wish I’d planted it in a full size pot as I think it would have done great. Need to check what breeder it was from

large.947E94E7-AB87-4916-A025-06C1309BFCBF.jpeglarge.002FBD09-3D73-4813-9B20-08CBE51739E2.jpeg

2x blue mystic (sorry it’s the wrong way round but I’m too lazy to change it now, if anyone traps a nerve you can blame me)

large.B35979F4-2344-4B1B-B038-C5C718D99860.jpeg

2x purple punch, these have really shot up nicely! I overfed the lanky one, can anyone tell me the best way to proceed? I was thinking just water for a couple of waterings.

large.78A9AEAC-DAA2-42CB-B05B-2B2A19FE9232.jpeglarge.C6EBAE1C-36C0-48A8-BDCA-54EDAAD873E6.jpeg

Also, can anyone identify this larl bugger? It’s about 6mm long.. Knowing my luck it’s a foe

large.FD91C01F-80AD-4CB7-9435-09AAD2437D24.jpeg

The ducks have taken their final form, I’ll leave them now as the go into flowering mode soon

large.0B0AC788-2D50-4663-8766-F2F37B91CE3A.jpeg

Thanks for stopping by everyone! Sorry if the pictures are low res, struggling with shrinking them down to under 1 meg… 

Cheers @Revive, rather good work there detective, I’d never heard of one of those… Good to have you onboard!

One final question. I need to obtain an LED light for my 60x60 at the end of august. Was going to get the par+140 but they don’t have them in until September… I checked out the voost vst120 but I’d like to get 150w in that space. My last plan is to get the Lumatek Attis 200 and run it at 150, but if someone knows a decent 150w light that I’ve missed, let me know, maybe I could save a few quid! 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Rustybiff said:

Cheers @Revive, rather good work there detective, I’d never heard of one of those… Good to have you onboard!

Anytime dude always happy to help :yep:

The pic in that post above is a meadow spittlebug.. had a few on my plot recently :yinyang:

Nice choice of fan, AC Cloudline are superb. Really quiet with built in speed controller. Got the 4 inch version for my 80 x 80 x 160 smaller tent, more than enough power. 

Regards your choice of lights I've always gone with relatively unknown brands from Amazon, total of three different brands now. All performed superbly, one was a little noisy so that now acts as a spare. Really can't see how buying expensive lights would benefit me, quantity product liberated per grow is already significant excess. Current grow using two of these lights - bear in mind this is a 100 x 100 x 200 cm tent so for a 60 x 60 cm one would likely be fine.

large.1.JPG

In my compost thread (below) I'll be updating pictures at 6 weeks into flower, two weeks after that and end weights if further evidence is needed aforementioned lights work well. Just an idea for alternative. Did try this as a single light in my 80x80x160, felt the light spread wasn't enough towards the edges of tent. 60x60 would pretty much perfect.

Talking of light this was the first thing which came to mind when admiring your plants, a lack of light. Like you my first grow worked out well, nice healthy plants with some lovely bud but the yield wasn't all that. Fast forward few years by adding an extra lighting unit the yield has increased massively, double actually. Plants really need a lot of light, more than I initially thought. The 'lanky' plant isn't that way due to nutrients, it's tall, spindly and lacking bulk due to lack of light. Seen it quite a few times, plants don't fill out, stretch out with minimal foliage. It may have grown faster due excess of nutrients but it hasn't filled out along the way. Trust me on this, you'll soon see the difference when growing indoors under intense light.

A Magnesium deficiency normally exhibits interveinal loss of pallor in the lower leaves. Magnesium is required to create chlorophyll, not enough it starts stealing from oldest, lower leaves. Not to be confused with lack of Nitrogen manifests itself as pan yellowing of lower leaves. Further not to be confused with plants naturally cannibalising the oldest lower leaves in mid to late flower, totally normal. I'd be unconcerned considering the stage your plants are at in flower (ref that photo) having noted slight tip burn so nutrients at one stage were abundant / older fan leaves normally cannibalised by plant during this time period. 

Bigger pots yes. But not too big. Experimented with many pots, largest ever used are 12 litre fabrics. Nothing larger in small to mid range tents with limited vertical space. Often use 8 litre fabrics, much more manageable and ironically gave me the largest yield (RQS critical weed) achieved to date. If I had to choose probably stick with 8 litre size but no smaller.

Nice update btw, do let me know when you start indoor grow as I'd be very interested in following it :yep:

Edited by Poisonata
  • Like 3

Thanks @Revive, spot on, I know where to come for the wildlife knowledge :) 

hey @Poisonata, I know what you mean about light, being at the mercy of the clouds means the plants can go weeks without direct rays, doesn’t bode well for fattening up the buds, although I’ve seen lots of top weed on here grown outdoors! As for the lanky purple punch, I don’t think it’s stretching due to lack of light as the distance between nodes is only 3 inches max, I think it’s more down to phenotype. All the other plants are getting the same light and the indicas are remaining squat… I’m sure things will slow down now that the sun’s back in though. 

I bit the bullet and ordered all of the parts to build my own light this morning. I went with a 150w build, the parts only set me back £110 for everything which is a steal considering they’re samsung diodes… didn’t want to go for a cheaper light as I don’t really trust the manufacturing standards. 

Thanks again for the input, not going to worry about the yellowing leaves, it’s one of the outcast plants anyway, I’ll be happy to get anything from it… 

Looking forward to the rest of your diary as well, cheers

• Like 5

Just a little update to share some nice pink pistils on a purple punch, spent the morning sitting with the plants and doing sweet FA. 
large.3ACE0665-2A47-4D78-84AD-856000F5B9EA.jpeg

I moved the two Quick Ones into smaller pots, I know it’s not the done thing but they’re so dissatisfying and small that I can’t be bothered with them anymore and will stop documenting them.. With an impending family visit in September I need to make some space and get good at hiding the plants. 

Also, I chopped the little Gelato. On hindsight looks like another week might have been in order, but all trichs are cloudy and it was just for fun so no biggie.. 

large.8B934BD0-59CC-4FB1-9122-D1BB2ED03C1A.jpeg

Cheers people, peace!

• Like 9

On 29/07/2021 at 5:01 PM, Rustybiff said:

large.FD91C01F-80AD-4CB7-9435-09AAD2437D24.jpeg

@Rustybiff This litte chap is MAD! Looks like a Chameleon face, it simply reminded me of @Revive profile pic, i managed to put the amusing image i have in my head into an actual picture........

here........ large.ras_grin.gif

The epic UK420 Profile Pic Showdown lol  :badass:

large.revRus.jpg

Fuck im stoned man!! Crystal Candy bubble hash inna mi brain large.ras_wow.gif- large.ras_eek.gif- large.ras_grin.gif - large.ras_cool.gif Enjoy the laughs :afro:

:bong:

• Like 8

Just now, SubSpecies said:

Fuck im stoned man!! Crystal Candy bubble hash inna mi brain large.ras_wow.gif- large.ras_eek.gif- large.ras_grin.gif - large.ras_cool.gif Enjoy the laughs :afro:

Not sure why but your post really made me laugh... still laughing now. So thanks :)

• Like 1

@SubSpecies Hahahahaaa that’s fookin quality! Well spotted :rofl: got them thousand yard stares goin on! Hmmm, first thoughts are that the chameleon would win the showdown, but the way the lil spittlebug shot off when i touched it felt like an electric shock, quick as anything…

The hash sounds divine bro, enjoy some for me! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SubSpecies said:

@Rustybiff This litte chap is MAD! Looks like a Chameleon face, it simply reminded me of @Revive profile pic, i managed to put the amusing image i have in my head into an actual picture........

here........ large.ras_grin.gif

The epic UK420 Profile Pic Showdown lol  :badass:

large.revRus.jpg

:bong:

lollol madness

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rustybiff said:

@SubSpecies Hahahahaaa that’s fookin quality! Well spotted :rofl: got them thousand yard stares goin on! Hmmm, first thoughts are that the chameleon would win the showdown, but the way the lil spittlebug shot off when i touched it felt like an electric shock, quick as anything…

The hash sounds divine bro, enjoy some for me! 

She is my pet... a giant green iguana..

Sadly any bug in the wildlife on weed thread would be toast.. shes about 4.5 feet.. lol

But pound for pound that spittle bug looks ruthless :yinyang:

Edited by Revive
  • Like 2

My apologies @Revive, thought I replied to this! Amazing dude, what a pet to have… You may have crossed the line of the owner becoming the pet when you took that beast on! 

I don’t have an update as the sun hasn’t shone in a week and I can’t get outside for torrential rain. 

I do have a question though. Finished building my light (nearly, though I ordered the wrong tape so can’t adhere the led strips to the heatsinks until Tuesday lol)… I want to get something in the tent so ordered some auto seeds from RGSC. Reckon I’d be good to reuse the soil without re-amending it? Having moved the two quick ones, loads of it was untouched by the roots, same with the NL really. I reckon it would be fine but wanted to check you knowledgeable folks. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rustybiff said:

My apologies @Revive, thought I replied to this! Amazing dude, what a pet to have… You may have crossed the line of the owner becoming the pet when you took that beast on! 

I don’t have an update as the sun hasn’t shone in a week and I can’t get outside for torrential rain. 

I do have a question though. Finished building my light (nearly, though I ordered the wrong tape so can’t adhere the led strips to the heatsinks until Tuesday lol)… I want to get something in the tent so ordered some auto seeds from RGSC. Reckon I’d be good to reuse the soil without re-amending it? Having moved the two quick ones, loads of it was untouched by the roots, same with the NL really. I reckon it would be fine but wanted to check you knowledgeable folks. 

Well I neverknew at the time she was gonna get so big.. when I got her she was about 4inch long and right ilumimus green.. id only gone to the pet shop to get some food for a small bearded dragon that I bought from there about 2 weeks earlier.. while waiting to be served I saw this tiny thing whizzing about the tank it was in.. I was stoned of course and pretty impressed.. I says to the fella whats that he said an iguana, not being very wise and more thinking about how cool this thing would be to look at when at-home having a chuff I was like how much you want £80 the fella says I said ill take that aswell as the food.. then get home and on Google to find out these things grow massive and can live for 25 years.. lollol

Well she is about 15 years in now but a fuking cool pet.. very chilled and like a lil dinosaur walking about the flat.. tamming her took many years mind but now she lets you do what the fuk you want to her :)

Regarding the soil.. not really upon the indoor soil types.. not grown indoors for many many years now.. only gg for me these days dude..

@SubSpecies may be able to answer this for you as he is quite knowledgeable with soils and there amendments.. im sure he will pop in and give you some advice.. good luck with the light bro.. i find building stuff yourself to be very satisfying especially when I brings home the goods.. good luck Rustybiff :yep:

• Like 3

On 15/06/2021 at 6:02 PM, Rustybiff said:

currently all of them are growing in a ‘super soil’ made up of 1:1:1 worm castings, compost and perlite, amended with FBB, seaweed meal, guano, dolomite lime, epsom salts and rock dust. 

7 hours ago, Rustybiff said:

Reckon I’d be good to reuse the soil without re-amending it? Having moved the two quick ones, loads of it was untouched by the roots, same with the NL really. I reckon it would be fine but wanted to check you knowledgeable folks. 

YO Wappen-Bappen-Kill-De-Captain!! Irie peeps :yinyang:

Your soil is wicked brudda, you arr good to go... with only one condition, or important tip really... is to be sure to remove any left over roots from the soil as they will rot and potentially cause root-rot fuckery on the roots of the new plant, it's those long runner roots that snap in the soil when pulling and you wouldn't even know they there, but like you say the harvested plant didn't hardly leech the soil therefore leaving behind an abundance of unused food, you got worm cast in there.. fucking magic that is and will last a long time large.ras_old_rasta.gif

A product i could recommend if you are re-using the soil is Intense Nutrients Runzyme, it treats dead and decaying matter in the soil, its good shit if you can afford it, maybe not essential but def worth having a bottle on the shelf, i particular in your case large.ras_wink.gif

@Revive Please give blessed Iguana a 'fist bump' from me, i&i tink she WICKED bredda!! Nuff respec everytime large.ras_cheers.gif

Rastar an gwaaannnn............. large.ras_bike_thumb.gif
:yinyang:

Edited by SubSpecies
Did i juss edit it? hehe yeah i guess i did, so what haha!!
  • Like 3

@Revive hahah man that’s brilliant, can’t imagine having that wandering about the home.. living every day in a real life jurassic park, props to you sir, very very cool indeed :thumsup: I imagine that fella must eat quite a lot? 

cheers @SubSpecies, I hoped you’d chime in! Good advice about taking the roots out, especially as my instinct was to leave them IN the mix what with my no dig vegetable garden, but I guess you need a worm population to munch through them. I can’t actually afford any other extras so will leave the Intense bottle on the future shopping list for now, thanks mate!

• Like 2

I got over my laziness and snapped some pics for a little update.. 

I will begin this diary entry with a story, a story of poor judgement on my dear mothers behalf.

I was out of the house for the day last week when there was a car accident just down the road from where we live (which is very rural). This meant that there was a police car parked outside the house at the top of the road for a couple of hours. The lady in the car came to the door and asked my mum if she could use the loo. Instead of sending her to the downstairs toilet she directed her to the one upstairs, next to which is my room with a grow tent in the corner and 6” ducting running around it. 

Cheers mother, if she had taken the wrong turn the whole operation could have been knackered. Also if I hadn’t sorted the fan/filter 4 days previous then the whole landing would be humming too. 

just shows you can never be too careful. I’ve nearly been caught too many times smoking in really rural areas, seems so odd…

Anyway, the plants!

NL, getting there, 1 or 2 weeks left

large.135DD08D-91EC-43A8-9012-BB1C1162F5F5.jpeg

Purple Punch, also nearly there, trichs are getting milky already

large.8A83EFD2-3235-4AA6-8095-ABAEC70F28FA.jpeglarge.C02D8BC8-177B-460E-B14F-EE029FF15442.jpeg

2x purple punch, flowering away, looking alright so far

large.3E6FB14D-9A18-4094-A3ED-AE5B2DC67FF6.jpeglarge.FB9EF6B6-FAA0-445C-8966-5DA052C23F2C.jpeg

2x quick ones. Wasn’t going to include these but bollocks it, can’t hurt

large.F39C1389-8CDC-4FB7-BC94-E3DA3D8CE5B3.jpeg

2x blue mystic, carrying on lst, no signs of flowering yet

large.69CB81C8-9AC9-406C-BDDD-45CF5DA910EF.jpeglarge.D61D0188-E454-482F-A795-3E0269E595DF.jpeg

2x ducks. Also no signs of flowering, is this usual? Had 1st week of august in my head for showing sex, but didn’t read much on it… 

large.77FDC5C2-6BC3-481D-A3FD-FD536E25EA4F.jpeglarge.CF703DA5-735D-4B07-BAA5-DE76DF1E8C0E.jpeg

think that’s all. Thanks again everyone that’s helping with my questions. Much appreciated, the elders of the craft hold allll of the wisdom

• Like 3