Should I plan for pests?

Gaijin

Yes 100% use anyrhing you can as a precautionary measure to prevent pests

Get the yellow sticky strips hanging regardless, get spider mite predators and hang the sachets on your branches when the time comes and just let them be, get that neem oil, and make sure you've a good microscope for close inspection. 

Change your clothes and keep yourself clean when entering the tent and watch your temps and humidty because that can itself bring bugs back to life that are hidden in growing mediums. 

Don't put anything in your tent that you haven't grown yourself, I dont bother with clones purely because ive seen how they can be infected by OP and it can cause problems with your own growing equipment with an infestation of mites etc. 

• Like 1

I didn't know we had to take such precautions lol

I don't really do anything like that. I've got cats too that come and go freely. 

I hate to type this, it's like asking for trouble but only had mites once. I've had fungus gnats enough times, they seemed to love barky composts and the odd weird thing here and there but nothing to worry about. 

When shit kicks off you can fret all you like. Don't borrow trouble :)

• Like 5

10 hours ago, fatboy77 said:

My advice would be to spray harkers twice before bloom if you have dogs or cats, but that shit is dangerous for pets so be responsible with it. 

There will be a cat at the new house, but the cat won't have access to the building that contains the grow room. Although I'm sure you could carry mites from pets on your own clothes? Hmmm, something else to think about :nerd:

51 minutes ago, Firstimegrower_420 said:

Yes 100% use anyrhing you can as a precautionary measure to prevent pests

Get the yellow sticky strips hanging regardless, get spider mite predators and hang the sachets on your branches when the time comes and just let them be, get that neem oil, and make sure you've a good microscope for close inspection. 

Change your clothes and keep yourself clean when entering the tent and watch your temps and humidty because that can itself bring bugs back to life that are hidden in growing mediums. 

Don't put anything in your tent that you haven't grown yourself, I dont bother with clones purely because ive seen how they can be infected by OP and it can cause problems with your own growing equipment with an infestation of mites etc. 

Change clothes too. Wow. Ok. Having said that, I was considering having something to wear to wear only in the grow room, because I didn't want to be carrying any aromas back to the house lol Kill two bugs with one stone 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KC said:

I didn't know we had to take such precautions lol

Don't borrow trouble :)

8 minutes ago, Loftgrower said:

That is a quote to live by :thumsup:

I'm going to seriously overthink this first indoor grow lol You guys need to keep me in line lollollollol 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Gaijin said:

Change clothes too. Wow. Ok. Having said that, I was considering having something to wear to wear only in the grow room, because I didn't want to be carrying any aromas back to the house lol Kill two bugs with one stone 

To help control smell i just hang a long sleeve tee shirt and hat and old jogging bottoms near the grow and just pop it all on if i'm going to be brushing up against any bud, that way if you have to pop down the shops after you can change back, quick spray of deodorant and your golden.

The hat and long sleeve tee shirt are to protect me from and harmful uva or uvb rays (not sure which exactly) to protect me from burning my skin, i prefer a shirt and fold the collars up and this combined with the hat can help protect my neck area.

Otherwise no preventative spraying here just filtered incoming air with screens as previously mentioned and being aware of thing like no outside gardening or days out to the park followed by walking straight into my Grow room, a change of clothes would be the minimum requirement and ideally a shower beforehand, and like others have mentioned wash hand, keep the room and equipment as clean as reasonably possible. 

Any off cuts, fallen leaves etc I pop into a bucket and every couple of days or so i pour them into a shopping bag that's inside a vacuum bag and i suck the air out and replace the cap and store away from the grow ready to disposed of when the opportunity arises, this way i can transport the leaf matter or bud trimmings away without any noticeable smells.

• Like 2

Just now, photobat said:

To help control smell i just hang a long sleeve tee shirt and hat and old jogging bottoms near the grow and just pop it all on if i'm going to be brushing up against any bud, that way if you have to pop down the shops after you can change back, quick spray of deodorant and your golden.

The hat and long sleeve tee shirt are to protect me from and harmful uva or uvb rays (not sure which exactly) to protect me from burning my skin, i prefer a shirt and fold the collars up and this combined with the hat can help protect my neck area.

Otherwise no preventative spraying here just filtered incoming air with screens as previously mentioned and being aware of thing like no outside gardening or days out to the park followed by walking straight into my Grow room, a change of clothes would be the minimum requirement and ideally a shower beforehand, and like others have mentioned wash hand, keep the room and equipment as clean as reasonably possible. 

Any off cuts, fallen leaves etc I pop into a bucket and every couple of days or so i pour them into a shopping bag that's inside a vacuum bag and i suck the air out and replace the cap and store away from the grow ready to disposed of when the opportunity arises, this way i can transport the leaf matter or bud trimmings away without any noticeable smells.

I'd imagine it's a good policy to stay out of your grow room unless necessary. My first indoor grow - I'm going to want to sit and watch them grow all day day long lol But I must resist the temptation and minimise contact. Makes sense

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gaijin said:

I'd imagine it's a good policy to stay out of your grow room unless necessary. My first indoor grow - I'm going to want to sit and watch them grow all day day long lol But I must resist the temptation and minimise contact. Makes sense

imo its no big deal, sit in their as much as you like as long as you and your clothes are clean and have come from a clean environment, just protect your skin if light is shining on you, don't want skin cancer in a few years time.

No smoking in their either, i'm pretty sure the tobacco contains a Tobacco Mosaic virus (TMV) that can be harmful to your grow !!

Oh yeah 1 last thing, a good pair of sunglasses with proper uva/uvb protection would be a good move also.

Enjoy your grow, best of luck !! :skin_up:

Edited by photobat
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Gaijin said:

The insect variety, I mean. Human variety shouldn't be a problem lol 

Don't tell anyone, nearly everyone confides in someone, your best mate might be sound A/F but he will tell his girlfriend, she will tell her best friend etc, if you cant keep this secret when it means a lot to you then don't expect others to be so protective over your risk !! 

Every person you tell is someone you will have worries and stress about them passing it on and once the rabbits out of the bag you can't put it back in, so imo zip it up and you can minimise the stress levels put upon yourself.

3 golden rules - no tell, no sell, no smell, 

stay safe and good luck.

• Like 3

Just to add to the sound advice above...smoking in your groom has the potential to feck up your carbon filter...your main line of defence.

Difficult as it is to keep your hobby to yourself, it's certainly safest...if you have a desperate need to show off/brag/confide/console/rant/cry..whatever..

Bring it on here, at least you have like minded folk who've made an art out of taking the piss...lollol

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, photobat said:

3 golden rules - no tell, no sell, no smell, 

stay safe and good luck.

3 minutes ago, stu914 said:

Just to add to the sound advice above...smoking in your groom has the potential to feck up your carbon filter...your main line of defence.

Difficult as it is to keep your hobby to yourself, it's certainly safest...if you have a desperate need to show off/brag/confide/console/rant/cry..whatever..

Bring it on here, at least you have like minded folk who've made an art out of taking the piss...lollol

Oh indeed I totally understand. I grew for years outside in Australia and none of my close friends had any idea. I even purchased crappy weed from time to time lol 

• Like 3

@Gaijin I recommend a CCTV camera in the tent - it stops you going in there interfering!  Tapo C200 is just £25 off the river site and can be viewed from phone or tablet 24/7 and is password protected - brilliant if you are away for a few days too :yes:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alys said:

@Gaijin I recommend a CCTV camera in the tent - it stops you going in there interfering!  Tapo C200 is just £25 off the river site and can be viewed from phone or tablet 24/7 and is password protected - brilliant if you are away for a few days too :yes:

Thanks, they look pretty good for the price. I'll be in a shed/cabin thing at the end of the garden, so I was looking at the c310 as well. Which brings me to the one potential issue - WiFi. Not sure if my wifi signal will reach from the house. Maybe there's some way to extend the signal or something. I don't know 

• Like 1

Just now, Gaijin said:

Thanks, they look pretty good for the price. I'll be in a shed/cabin thing at the end of the garden, so I was looking at the c310 as well. Which brings me to the one potential issue - WiFi. Not sure if my wifi signal will reach from the house. Maybe there's some way to extend the signal or something. I don't know 

A mesh system will extend your wi-fi.  You plug one into your router and the others around your house (shed), which extends the wi-fi significantly.  Hotukdeals is a good place to start.

• Like 3