Should I plan for pests?

Gaijin

The insect variety, I mean. Human variety shouldn't be a problem lol 

I'm in the planning stages of an indoor setup. Just curious if pests and bugs are a common problem that I should be prepared for, or something a little rarer that can be reacted to as and when it occurs? 

Are there things that can or should be done to keep them away? I can't afford anything like Biohazard level 4 grow rooms, but maybe there's something that can or should be done. What are your thoughts on this? 

• Like 1

Prevention is better than cure! 

If you’re given any clones/cuttings check them thoroughly before you introduce them into your nice clean space.

Put a stocking over the end of your passive intake duct to prevent things getting in that way.

If you’ve been outdoor gardening, change your clothes, comb your hair to ensure you don’t transport pests into your space.

I’m sure others will think of stuff I’ve not even considered! 

Good luck with your grow when you get it on :smokin:

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Alys said:

Good luck with your grow when you get it on :smokin:

Thanks mate

I hadn't thought of any of those things lol I love this place 

• Like 1

@Alys is spot on, always better to stop the little rascals before they get started 'cos once they do....they fecking party!

I cover all intakes with cooker hood filter material from Robert Dyas...two sheets in the box, use both for an insect and lightproof vent.

It will reduce airflow very slightly but not enough to cause problems, much better to keep out pests...I never get any since using this stuff.

:oldtoker:

• Like 4

Just now, stu914 said:

@Alys is spot on, always better to stop the little rascals before they get started 'cos once they do....they fecking party!

I cover all intakes with cooker hood filter material from Robert Dyas...two sheets in the box, use both for an insect and lightproof vent.

It will reduce airflow very slightly but not enough to cause problems, much better to keep out pests...I never get any since using this stuff.

:oldtoker:

Yeah, I'd rather prevent the issue before it has a chance to be an issue. Good advice, glad I asked now :thumsup:

• Like 3

Garden centre soil if been stored outside. Sure we all done it, walk up to a bag and poke a finger in. :naughty: 

Sits there in all weathers with most bags having holes or rips, Never had any bugs with soil intended for are use from a hydro shop. Worth paying the extra just for that peace of mind.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, AngryDuck said:

Garden centre soil if been stored outside. Sure we all done it, walk up to a bag and poke a finger in. :naughty: 

Sits there in all weathers with most bags having holes or rips, Never had any bugs with soil intended for are use from a hydro shop. Worth paying the extra just for that peace of mind.

lol yeah I've probably done it myself. I am ordering mine, so hopefully no finger holes when it arrives 

• Like 1

I've got a cat that brings in the mites. You'll be fine for a while if you keep it all sterile and don't cross contaminate with outdoor activities. Sooner or later you will find them though. They're easy to control if you catch them early. Know what signs to look for and you're good to go. Preventative steps are recommended regardless of signs. It's cheap to buy predator mites, yellow sticky strips costs a few pennies., 1L cold pressed neem will last forever in sprays. Neem is part of my maintenance. All plants get neemed at some stage, especially when transferred to flowering. Watch out for bungee chords and other peoples clones is my top tip. :yep:

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

I've got a cat that brings in the mites. You'll be fine for a while if you keep it all sterile and don't cross contaminate with outdoor activities. Sooner or later you will find them though. They're easy to control if you catch them early. Know what signs to look for and you're good to go. Preventative steps are recommended regardless of signs. It's cheap to buy predator mites, yellow sticky strips costs a few pennies., 1L cold pressed neem will last forever in sprays. Neem is part of my maintenance. All plants get neemed at some stage, especially when transferred to flowering. Watch out for bungee chords and other peoples clones is my top tip. :yep:

Pets - didn't think of that

Predator mites? 

Assuming the sticky strips are a "flypaper" kind of thing

Neem. Ok, I'll go Google Neem lol 

Bungee cord? Something else to cross off my shopping list. Why bungee cord bad and yet rope ratchet type things are ok? What would you recommend to hang equipment with? 

58 minutes ago, Gaijin said:

lol yeah I've probably done it myself. I am ordering mine, so hopefully no finger holes when it arrives 

What type are you ordering?

• Like 1

Just now, AngryDuck said:

What type are you ordering?

Plant Magic Plus Soil Supreme, but I'm open to suggestions .......

Just now, Gaijin said:

Plant Magic Plus Soil Supreme, but I'm open to suggestions .......

The local place i went had no biobizz in stock so grabbed some PM instead. Cannot comment on a grow using it as only 3 weeks in right now. First impression was its nice and fluffy without any big barky type lumps out the bag. Plenty of reviews of it on here using the search function. Glad they out of stock of Biobizz as id never have tried it otherwise

• Like 1

Just now, AngryDuck said:

The local place i went had no biobizz in stock so grabbed some PM instead. Cannot comment on a grow using it as only 3 weeks in right now. First impression was its nice and fluffy without any big barky type lumps out the bag. Plenty of reviews of it on here using the search function. Glad they out of stock of Biobizz as id never have tried it otherwise

I've seen the Biobizz and a big range of nutes on my shopping list site. Admittedly after a couple of weeks on here, I now have specific shopping lists at various places based on recommendations from here. The original place is pretty much down to selling me a couple of lights and a couple of tents lol  I was planning in the PM with Growers Ark nutes. How's the Biobizz work for you. Do you use their nutes as well?

Just now, Gaijin said:

planning in the PM with Growers Ark nutes.

If you want to keep it simple and fairly cheap take a look at 'Ionic' nutes, lots use it on here with good results...:yep:

• Like 1