Should I plan for pests?

Gaijin

3 minutes ago, stu914 said:

If you want to keep it simple and fairly cheap take a look at 'Ionic' nutes, lots use it on here with good results...:yep:

Thanks, I’ll take a look. But really I wouldn’t know exactly what I’m looking at in comparison to other brands. Really just seeing what you folks recommend. Which will no doubt be quite a variety of choices all for perfectly good reasons lol 

The cost of my Growers Ark basket does make me gulp a bit lol Will I see results worthy of the price, in my first grow? Debatable, I guess

Just now, Gaijin said:

I've seen the Biobizz and a big range of nutes on my shopping list site. Admittedly after a couple of weeks on here, I now have specific shopping lists at various places based on recommendations from here. The original place is pretty much down to selling me a couple of lights and a couple of tents lol  I was planning in the PM with Growers Ark nutes. How's the Biobizz work for you. Do you use their nutes as well?

I used the GA nutes with biobizz light soil indoors last year. I bought the GA soil kit that came with everything and it completed a grow of 4 plants in 20 ltr pots, just. But its not organic and this always sat in the back of my mind. Also done everything BB in the past with good results. That was my plan this time but as they were out of stock its now PM soil with the BB nutes but first time outdoors.

Reading forums is sometime the worst thing to do, as one thread can make you question everything lol 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AngryDuck said:

Reading forums is sometime the worst thing to do, as one thread can make you question everything lol 

lol yes 

But overall, I’ve learned a hell of a lot in a couple of weeks. And still yet to put seed to soil lol 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gaijin said:

y I wouldn’t know exactly what I’m looking at in comparison to other brands

It's one of the very few single dose nutrients, most of the others are an A+B base nutes which you have to mix.

• Like 2

Yes 100% plan for those little cunts. Fungus gnats, Spider mite etc.

My other advice is try to ramp up whatever measures you use during late veg, so they have less of a chance to take over late flower when you cant spray the buds with neem oil, or whatever.

Depending on the time of the year I spray with Harkers on day one and three of flower.

Summer is always worse for me. 

@Alys

@Alyshas covered most things there mate. Ive hung a few fly papers round the tent just to catch any flies or bugs.

I always wash and use antibac gel on my hands before tending to my plants. 

Keep your grow area clean and tidy. Don't leave any soil or trimmings on the floor of the tent. 

I use separate equipment for the grow, eg, watering can, bucket, jug, scissors etc are kept in the loft and are only used for the grow, not for anything else in the house or garden. 

I'm a chef so I've always had "cross contamination" drummed into me for many years, so I try and keep that in mind for my grow. 

Edited by Loftgrower
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, stu914 said:

It's one of the very few single dose nutrients, most of the others are an A+B base nutes which you have to mix.

Ahhh ok. Simpler for beginners. Might not be a bad idea 

12 minutes ago, Moonstone420 said:

Yes 100% plan for those little cunts 

lollollol 

that’s the second mention that this “neem” stuff has had in this thread. I better go look it up 

3 hours ago, Gaijin said:

The insect variety, I mean. Human variety shouldn't be a problem lol 

I'm in the planning stages of an indoor setup. Just curious if pests and bugs are a common problem that I should be prepared for, or something a little rarer that can be reacted to as and when it occurs? 

Are there things that can or should be done to keep them away? I can't afford anything like Biohazard level 4 grow rooms, but maybe there's something that can or should be done. What are your thoughts on this? 

Yes plan for the worst imo, if you can spend a little on this now it might save you a lot of ball ache later, as a minimum if skint stretch some tights over the incoming vent opening and tape it down as you don't want it getting sucked into your fan, you can buy bug barriers that velcro to the inside of the duct opening for circa £10 i prefer these as the provide less air drag and can be detached easily for regular cleaning and you can also get inline box filters £20 - £50 depending on duct diameter, i do the 2 latter choices that hopefully provided a belt and braces level of protection from bugs n critters.

• Like 1

Bungee cords coz they’re ideal for housing a few dozen microscopic eggs that can lay dormant until the next grow. Easy fix just dip them in a big pot of boiling water. I’m pretty sure ratchet hangers should go in the pot too. Make sure your tent has a window and or use the WiFi cam, less opening of the tent the better in flower. Passive intakes should be ok, not sure what the micron of a mite is, but I’ve always suspected they can just past a screen and get sucked in by the negative pressure, as I’ve seen no mites since upgrading to sealed tent and active intake with Phresh intake filter. Could be just coincidence. 

Yes, yellow sticky traps are overkill if you have no gnats but if they can prevent an adult female laying eggs if she lands on this, so 6p well spent. 

Lastly, I’m almost certain many reputable soil companies have strict sterilisation practices, but since switching to coco, I’ve not seen a single gnat which plagued me through my soil years. Plants grow faster and impossible to overwater are just added added bonus, I also find coco quicker to fix any deficiencies compared to soil. 

good luck. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. :yep: 

e2a: if you ever see a gnat flying, the damage is done, it’s the larvae that strip your roots of the fine hairs needed for nutrient uptake. Unless you trap the very first adult female. 

And springtails are a mystery. Tiny little creatures that freak you out but are completely harmless. Fuck knows where they come from. They seem to know where the dampness is. Coco or soil. Def my favourite non pest pest. 

Edited by Slippy One
  • Like 6

I think it all depends on where you grow and where it is situated and your own situation

Ive been growing indoors for over 20 years and not once have I sprayed plants just as a preventative measure

I would never just buy predators as a preventative. What will they predate on and how long does this preventive measure last

I react if I see something. I just won't spray my plants willy nilly just in case. That to me doesn't make sense but like I said if you are susceptible to pests then I suppose you have to do something. I rarely get any pests so why should I spray to prevent

The only thing I would do is buy products in ready to use if needs be

Owd

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 9

@Slippy One Essentially, keep everything as sterile as possible. Or at least, as sterile as is reasonable to attempt. Coco may well be in my future but maybe not for a first time grow. Maybe not 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

e2a: if you ever see a gnat flying, the damage is done, it’s the larvae that strip your roots of the fine hairs needed for nutrient uptake. Unless you trap the very first adult female. 

Ok I’m adding sticky gnat destruction to my basket now 

My advice would be to spray harkers twice before bloom if you have dogs or cats, but that shit is dangerous for pets so be responsible with it.