AVB.......... I had no idea!!!!

Ceiling Cat

4 minutes ago, Personunknown said:

Or rso the avb with trim etc , that makes a seditive oil imho

That seems like a really involved process requiring lots of energy. Maybe will try it if I grow some CBD strains, as it would be the best way to get a good concentrate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maesteg Cannabis Club said:

Use coconut oil, you'll get a higher extraction rate.

Yeah that's what I ended up doing a couple of days ago. Decarbed the stems, branches and about half the fan leaves from my cabinet grow: about 32 grams dry weight of material in total. Added a couple of grams of AVB too. Some lecithin into the heated coconut oil before infusion.

Infused in a covered pyrex dish in the oven for 3 hours, stirring and mashing with a spud masher every 45 minutes. I used an old cafetière to extract the oil afterwards: very easy, just like making coffee. Then the oil soaked plant residue went into the blender making a soft pulp. I even scoured the dish, cafetière, blender and utensils with boiling water and left the water in a bowl to settle in the fridge overnight. Skimmed the set oil crust the next day to add to the oil.

Filled 100 capsules with oil, about 90 with oil/weed pulp. Still half a jar of oil left over. I will use for cooking mostly. Today added a few teaspoons to some melted cooking chocolate to make canna chocs/fudge for evening treats.

With very little real darkness at the moment my partner is suffering from insomnia so the capsules and choccies will come in handy... :) 

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 2

@Personunknown Thinking further on this, I had a look at RSO recipes. Don't really like the prospect of using isopropyl alcohol or "wood alcohol" (meths!) as solvents. Then simmering that in a rice cooker, which I'd have to buy. The fumes would be highly combustible I should think, bit of a safety hazard...

I think I might make some infused gin or vodka instead. Fairly simple, low energy use. RSO can wait for another day.

I have another plant close to harvest so there will be stems, trim, etc. that I can add to AVB for infusion... :) 

• Like 1

Never meths  , yes combustable needs doing outside with care, hope you find what your looking for extraction wise:yep:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Crow River said:

@Personunknown Thinking further on this, I had a look at RSO recipes. Don't really like the prospect of using isopropyl alcohol or "wood alcohol" (meths!) as solvents. Then simmering that in a rice cooker, which I'd have to buy. The fumes would be highly combustible I should think, bit of a safety hazard...

I think I might make some infused gin or vodka instead. Fairly simple, low energy use. RSO can wait for another day.

I have another plant close to harvest so there will be stems, trim, etc. that I can add to AVB for infusion... :) 

The key is to do it outside, I have done it once and I was surprised at how quickly the isopropyl alcohol evaporates.

You can use proper alcohol as long as its food grade. Liquid essences are really cheap for it. 

Iso is for cleaning :)

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, KC said:

You can use proper alcohol as long as its food grade. Liquid essences are really cheap for it. 

It's true, and that website is by far the safest and cheapest option for ethanol. I used iso for oil making for years without issue, but only becuase food grade ethanol was too expensive. 

And oil made from AVB is different from using dried unvaped buds, way more sedative and less heady. :yep:

• Like 3

Sounds just like rerunning coconut material. I'm just not keen. I've got loads of it too. 

It makes me like a zombie, not really my thing. 

I use it as a rub mixed with coconut oil, sometimes in food , but only at night , it does aid sleep , but still stoned next morn can be off puting, n less dont help my sleep enough

Edited by Personunknown
  • Like 1

I'm not into edibles right before bed, I wake up feeling like shit for some reason. 

Funny old thing the weed lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maesteg Cannabis Club said:

The key is to do it outside, I have done it once and I was surprised at how quickly the isopropyl alcohol evaporates.

Live in a flat so no suitable outdoor space for such an activity. 

I've been having a look at older threads on this site and come across some interesting recipes involving brandy, absinthe, rum, etc. Even one for a kind of Jamaican cannabis liquor made by infusing a mixture of rum, brandy and port with trim and stems over a period of eight months. Quite fancy this last one I must say. If I start it soon it will be ready early 2022... :D 

Anyway yeah it will be most likely either cannabis infused spirits to drink, or tincture, or maybe both. Until the current lot of oil runs out, then I'll need to make more of that... Suspect I will give RSO a miss due to safety concerns.

Good to have different options.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KC said:

Good source for 96% alcohol, thanks for the tip. Will definitely look into this for tinctures. I've also seen elsewhere a Polish made equivalent of Everclear, about the same price too.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 8:55 AM, Mort said:

Enjoy :yinyang:

I can't look at food until 10am,a remnant from my drinking days over 2 decades ago.

ATB

:yinyang:

I don't eat as soon as I get up either. Take this morning for example, I got out of bed around 07:30, I am now having a coffee and my morning vape, I won't have breakfast for another hour or so. 

• Like 2