DIY cloner

Guest anarchycamp

Guest anarchycamp
Just now, QQ710 said:

I use an aerocloner on a homemade repeat cycle timer and set it to - 3 secs on / 90 secs off.

I've found most folk disagree with me and have best results left on 24/7. 

:oldtoker:

large.5f5002cfb542e_19RepeatCycleTimeDelayRelay.jpg

If it works it works, tidy looking piece of kit for homemade.well done bud!

Hi folks, so after reading this thread, I got to thinking I’ve got all the bits for that. So I have a haliea pump, which looks identical to the commercial 12 pot cloners. I bought a wham box to chuck all my boat fishing gear in, but it was a bit small, I tried a prop lid on it and it is a bit narrow, but should do the job. I might buy a small sheet of neoprene, make a gasket and glue it to the lid so it’s waterproof. I’ve got the nozzle from the 12 pot xcloner or whatever it’s called coming.

I've placed the net pots for where I will cut the holes, for the neoprene collars. If this works, it'll only have cost me £8 for the nozzle and whatever the neoprene collars cost, but then I may have some rig winders I could use.

Any recommendations fellas? 
large.CDBE96F5-0EB9-40E2-8845-3227A9E72B9A.jpeglarge.670D0060-812D-4F0A-985B-3C0D8FC98AB1.jpeg

Edited by Flamedodger
info & spilling mistacs
  • Like 1

Guest anarchycamp

@Flamedodger Looks like the job there pal, the amount of RUBs I went through trying to seal was ridiculous so if you've found one bingo! 

Door seals/gaffa all sorts, in the end the grow shop haha

Not entirely sure you'd need the lid,but it could be magic:smokin:

6 minutes ago, anarchycamp said:

Not entirely sure you'd need the lid,but it could be magic:smokin:

Actually, that would make it easier. What did you end up getting at the growshop to seal it with? Dumbass that I am, hadn't considered sealing it :wanker: 

On 06/04/2021 at 6:50 PM, badbillybob said:

those bucket cloners overheat the water, ive made, used and binned them before, with maxijet 1000 pumpsand also 500litre /hr pumps

. the issue is you need a decent pump to run them, to have enough pressure for the aero fittings, which overheats the water.

unless you are running it off a timer, ive not had one work, unless it was in a freeezing garage

. i made a big one from a 84 litre tote, much better, and easier to use, with no issues. the outside temp also affects the nute temps so keep your room/tent /whatever at about 22-24 degrees, or the high water temps will mean rot will happen

I use a 125psi 36LPH pump in my cloner, the only heat issues i`ve had is not enough heat :)

Edited by Geo

Guest anarchycamp
1 hour ago, Flamedodger said:

Actually, that would make it easier. What did you end up getting at the growshop to seal it with? Dumbass that I am, hadn't considered sealing it :wanker: 

Sorry mate i meant a waterproof tub full stop with no macgyvering.  I use a 33L black bucket, ain't no water coming out. It's a staple product at the grow shop.(I'm guessing people cure in them)

My previous attempts were stupid expensive rectangular RUBs with clips that leaked all the time large.IMG_06042021_154750_(1000_x_750_pixel).jpg

I just shoved an old reptile heatmat under the tuperware container that holds the water. The main problem is theres not a lot of water going into the cloner to keep it warm.

Here`s an old not so great vid of it. https://youtu.be/74j0BeSkfOU

Edited by Geo

Guest anarchycamp

Looks good that @Geo,I'm surprised you can't keep the heat up on its own since it's air in there and not a massive body of water?

2 hours ago, Geo said:

I use a 125psi 36LPH pump in my cloner, the only heat issues i`ve had is not enough heat :)

apples and oranges.

im talking about the aero cloners working off a waterpump, on 24/7, NOT a high pressure aero pump.

so i stand by my original post. 

ive no doubt that if i used a 125 psi pump, on a micro timer like yours i wouldnt have any issues, but none of the posters are talking about, or using them, so its pretty irrelevant, isnt it?

@anarchycamp Hope you don't mind me posting on your thread, I don't want to hijack it. I've had a bit of a result after a bit of initial disappointment. 

So my xcloner nozzle arrived so I fitted it up with my nft pump and it fitted perfectly

large.6075886fcf704_IMG_0914(3).jpg

However the flow was not really up to it and  the droplets were not great. I use a larger pond fountain pump to drain my NFT table, so I lashed it up a bit, the fit not as good as the nft pump. 

large.397F2426-7D05-4481-B3A2-09CAC9218827.jpeg

Results so far are pretty good. 

large.FA4B1F2B-54FE-46FD-B56C-03A71843728E.jpeg

I managed to get the lid on and it looks pretty water tight. I may need to make the pipe connecting the nozzle a bit longer and eventually make a hole for the pump and aquarium heater cables, get some collars and I can try it out for real. I've just stripped my mummas for some cuts for a mate, so I may have to try this out with some clematis cuttings lol

well i have swapped my old jet wash pump for something gentler and have had it running in for a few hours now and it had climbed from 16oc to 17.5oc in the time, i will leave it running for a few more hours to see how things go, but this is looking better so far.

i think this might work, seeing as the consensus online is you can set the timer to come on as often or not as you like with good results, i mean the environment is humid enough so i think i will have to play with a timer to keep temps steady, that said temps seem a steady 18.1 atm but it's cool and directly on a stone floor.

what water temps do people get the best results at?

Guest anarchycamp

@ratdog 24/25 for me mate. I'm sure there's plenty of wiggle room really!

If that's gonna be your natural temp a little heater would set it