DIY cloner

Guest anarchycamp

Guest anarchycamp

Thought I'd show how I made my little cloner,since I've seen a fair few people mentioning cuts over the forum.

Also, with the doom over buying seeds in the UK it makes sense to me

1)

large.IMG_06042021_154750_(1000_x_750_pixel).jpg

First you'll want to get a decent sized tub. I used a 33L bucket from the grow shop, literally the only thing I've found is actually waterproof. £10

2)cut your holes for the neoprene collars 2". I bought a hole drilling kit off the river site, it makes sense as there's always going to be a 4" and more 2"s drilled somewhere. £8 for a kit ish

3)

large.IMG_06042021_154811_(1000_x_750_pixel).jpg

I used a mini aquarium heater to keep the temps where you want them. It was M's but they are pretty cheap off the bay/river site.

4)

large.IMG_06042021_155044_(1000_x_750_pixel).jpg

Next,you'll want a capable water pump, ours is 1200L an hour so don't be shy!

5)

large.IMG_06042021_155247_(750_x_1000_pixel).jpg

To disperse the water you'll want 1/2" pvc piping. 

-1m 1/2 pvc pipe

- 4 1/2" right angles

-3 1/2" T pieces

The little red sprayer are 360 micro sprayers/misters again off the bay site.

6) To get the misters in the pipe I used a drill bit to create a similar sized hole then pliered them in. It's not as easy as you'd think!  Pair of gloves would be helpful here. 

7) Fill up with water to above the pump but below the pipes level.

8) Save one hole for your two cables to run through.

large.IMG_06042021_155407_(750_x_1000_pixel).jpglarge.IMG_03122020_202046_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpglarge.5fc15963f0bd8_12cloner.jpg

You don't have to use nutes if you don't want to,give it a whirl it's super easy. 

Peace 

you need a heater with that size pump? i made one of these a couple of years ago but mothballed it because the pump heats the water in a large brewing bucket to 30+ in a few hours, they never rooted so i went back to dirt.

Just now, ratdog said:

pump heats the water

How about putting the pump on a timer? 15mins on 15mins off maybe.

I came across people discussing this when I was looking in to trying a mini version.

Just now, Wacky Wardrobe said:

How about putting the pump on a timer? 15mins on 15mins off maybe.

I came across people discussing this when I was looking in to trying a mini version.

the cuts need constant water afaik

if i had a cold garage i would keep trying

Edited by ratdog

8 minutes ago, ratdog said:

the cuts need constant water afaik

Apparently not. They stay wet/moist enough in a humid atmosphere between bursts. 15 on 30 off was being used by some.

• Like 1

Guest anarchycamp

@ratdog That'll be the pump was broken mate imo, water pumps for fish tanks should never get hot. Something to do with impeller/magnets so M says.

@Wacky Wardrobe Personally I wouldn't do that, since your roots are airborn you can encounter mould problems sooner than you think. 

Roots within a week easy, any stage of life, few squirts of your favourite root stim in there if you're feeling kinky.

I did forget to add that generally while you can see decent roots there,I pop them in jiffys when I see little white teeth/nubbins then straight into a closed,misted prop. Jiffys give a really good root base to go into soil. 

Guest anarchycamp
Just now, Wacky Wardrobe said:

Apparently not. They stay wet/moist enough in a humid atmosphere between bursts. 15 on 30 off was being used by some.

I see what you're saying, I don't see why not. I'd fancy my stems being sprayed from all round instead of the moisture pooling into one drip at the bottom of the stem

11 minutes ago, anarchycamp said:

That'll be the pump was broken mate imo, water pumps for fish tanks should never get hot.

not broken, wrong pump lol i didn't know you needed one from a fish tank, i assumed they were all the same!

well that's good news, i might dig mine out and refit a new one to it in that case!

btw, i think we must have used the same site to build it, mine looks exactly the same as yours!

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 2

Guest anarchycamp

@zen-ken cheers bud,that's what I was going for. It really is effective, for a serial procrastinator like myself,I should have been doing this year's ago

@ratdog :wallbash:, that'll be the issue dude. Get her fired up!

All to save the pennies is this, and you can carry it and your ken same time!

Edited by anarchycamp
I'm not a bad man, I'm a family man

Just now, anarchycamp said:

that'll be the issue dude.

so you reckon something about 1200 will be fine?

tbh i ordered 1200 and there was a problem with shipping so they must have swapped it and i didn't even clock the difference :russian:

Edited by ratdog

Hey @ratdog is that 1800 ltr/hr?

Does seem bit pokey - I've got 3600 running in my koi pond!

Obviously you'll be testing before running.

atb

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KiwiGold said:

Hey @ratdog is that 1800 ltr/hr?

Does seem bit pokey - I've got 3600 running in my koi pond!

Obviously you'll be testing before running.

atb

it was mate, i had it running a couple of years ago, but it heated the water too much lol

there's a thread here somewhere of the build.

e2a, i've just ordered a 1200 ltr ph one so will give it a spin again as i need to take some clones soon, and it's a waste of the thing as i've paid for/made it all already!

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 2

Guest anarchycamp

That pump should have been fine really @ratdog ?

Oh yeah 1200L is more than suitable in there, probably in larger tubs/rubs too. I can only peek through a collar hole as it would spray the ceiling or most of the room.