Disaster with cuttings using heat mat

Have another look at   and scroll down to the bit where it shows you the area covered depending on how you space the wire. 

This ones probably better 

Edited by lildaveham
Please don’t post external links to shops

Thanks.  It looks far surperior to the snake and frog cables.  My Komodo Dragon will be glad to get its bed warmer back.  It ate the wife in protest last week.   I said you're going to have to do better than that.  

• Like 1

Im no expert grower grower so take this with a pinch of salt

1. Your clones are damping off because your medium is too wet (especially if rock wool) and because

2. You failed to implement a few drops of H2o2 (use it and one less reason for failure)

3 Your light is too close and the humidity is too low (move light up OR raise humidity)

4. Your probe is your nemesis if not properly placed.. 

5. Props are cool and can help sometimes but not necessary.

Some of my best roots were thrown out directly on a heat mat OR with a very flimsy plastic tray like the ones you get for button mushies and no lid / prop. Thermostat controller is essential. 

On 5/4/2021 at 8:50 AM, ScapeGoat said:

4. Your probe is your nemesis if not properly placed.. 

where do you place it exactly? 

1 hour ago, pepe16 said:

where do you place it exactly? 

I like to keep mine poked in an empty rockwool cube which is kept damp..

the key is not to have the cubes / the medium on the heat mat directly  UNLESS you are using a dome and a bubbler type set up to keep the humidity up..

I learned the hard way this time as i couldn't be bothered with the dome set up but it definitely helps a lot. Air stone air pump job done. 

It's a finicky process but some people have posted super simple guides on here using cups etc which create the perfect environment under low light.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, ScapeGoat said:

I like to keep mine poked in an empty rockwool cube which is kept damp..

the key is not to have the cubes / the medium on the heat mat directly  UNLESS you are using a dome and a bubbler type set up to keep the humidity up..

I learned the hard way this time as i couldn't be bothered with the dome set up but it definitely helps a lot. Air stone air pump job done. 

It's a finicky process but some people have posted super simple guides on here using cups etc which create the perfect environment under low light.

you wouldnt happen to have a few fotos of your bubbler and dome if poss?  I have a bubbler 20L bucket kit, and the pump and stone I'm curious to try out.  But if yu dont have a pic,  what size humidity dome do you use?    Ive always struggled with low humidity in veg.

@pepe16 XL dome.. the biggest one you can get.. If you dont already have one I would suggest try the cling film over pot method outlined in other threads unless you are doing big batches for selective breeding. 

The air pump is just a simple small one with  hose that runs into the dome lid through the air vents and into a small glass of water with a stone or rockwoolcube in it. it bubbles all day and night and keep the RH up. You simply refill it and your cloning medium will take much longer to dry out so much less risk of cooking the clones.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 01/04/2021 at 10:17 AM, ratdog said:

yeah, i do, no problem at all, just use a controller! set to 26oc

Hi ratdog

After a bit research I decided to persevere with the heat mat as I'm sure it will help in the colder months. I purchased the temp/heat only Inkbird and set to 25oc. It certainly regulates the temperature a lot better in my veg tent and takes away some of the guess work from myself. All my cuttings have rooted without any damping off so thanks for heads up. 

Edited by lennyd79
  • Like 2

@lennyd79 glad i could help mate, they are really a brilliant and cheap way (electric wise) to maintain healthy plants, and as you have seen the clones love it also, nice one on the full house with them!

• Like 2