Disaster with cuttings using heat mat

Hi all, just a heads up if using a heat mat for when rooting cuttings. My usual method for taking cuttings over the years is fool proof but I've had a small heat mat that I bought a while ago sitting there. So I thought since it was so cold doing my last lot of cuttings after Xmas that I would fire! the heat mat under my cuttings. (Yes I did say fool proof doh) I had it sitting under my pots in my T5 tent and when checked after 2 weeks most of them had damping-off. I did put a plastic tray between the pots and heat mate as I thought it was maybe too hot then still thinking it was too hot I raised the tray with blocks of wood. The ones that did root have nearly all succumbed now to some form of root rot after trying to persevere with them. I have managed to save a Dinafem Critical 2.0 but have lost my Bubba Kush and a cheese.

I've got some fresh beans on the go now but maybe a word of warning if people are having issues using a heat mat or are thinking of using one for cuttings. I would be interested to here people that use one successfully for cuttings, I certainly won't be again as I won't be taking the risk of heating the coco media up so much that it causes damping-off. 

:smokin:

I think I have had similar issues as my success rate went from 100 % to 0 %. This is using a soil warming cable to heat a tray containing platforms covered in capillary matting. Initially I was heating the water to 30 C to get a below pot temp in the low 20s. 

I turned it down a bit so the water temp is 25 C but still no roots showing on the next batch.

26 minutes ago, lennyd79 said:

I would be interested to here people that use one successfully for cuttings

yeah, i do, no problem at all, just use a controller! set to 26oc

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 4
11 hours ago, Slippy One said:

In a word, Inkbird.

Just be mindful of probe placement. :yep:

All a bit techy for me those thing's. 

38 minutes ago, lennyd79 said:

All a bit techy for me those thing's. 

the basic ones have a plug, a socket and up and down controls, that's it, no need to blame the heat mat, which is 50% of the tech already;)

get a regular one, inkbirds are a bit tricky, just go basic

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 1

During the really cold months of winter, I notice it’s nearly always on anyway, but the price of an Inkbird is about £30. Cheaper than seeds 

2 hours ago, ratdog said:

the basic ones have a plug, a socket and up and down controls, that's it, no need to blame the heat mat, which is 50% of the tech already;)

get a regular one, inkbirds are a bit tricky, just go basic

Cheers might have a wee look for next winter, but I am blaming the heat mat. :unsure:

I bought a heated prop years ago. Only used it once, it killed everything. No thermostat see. They didn't mention anything in the destructions. 

• Like 9

Yep, I did the same.  No Inkbird when first used and the soil temps just kept going up and up.  I noticed the leaves starting to bow down and droop before I figured out what was going on.  With an Inkbird though........... lovely.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, lennyd79 said:

but I am blaming the heat mat.

ok, try rooting them without one in a cold flat, you need steady temps of around 26, how else do you plan on that mate?

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 2

I see the options as:

1) Heat mat

2) Heat the grow cupboard with eg an oil filled radiator to 26C

3) heat whole house/room via constant central heating to 26C

Once my veg space is at 24 - 26 C with just the light I remove the heat mat.

But without it in the winter then I could not germ seeds or take cuttings.

I do not use a thermostat, just spacers. 

In the winter things only seem to get too hot if I have the central heating on in that room.

4 hours ago, ratdog said:

ok, try rooting them without one in a cold flat, you need steady temps of around 26, how else do you plan on that mate?

I've rooted cuttings for 20 years without a heat mat, tbh I can't be bothered explaining my different methods. The point of my post was to warn people that heat mat can cause issues. I appreciate your feedback on how I could use one correctly.

:smokin:

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, lennyd79 said:

The point of my post was to warn people that heat mat can cause issues.

and

I would be interested to here people that use one successfully for cuttings

so i told you :)

they are perfect for the job imho, i use them from cutting right through to flower, with a stat of course, i had a stat fail once during flower, ruined my plants, but i would never stop using one under my ladies, and boys if i'm making seeds like right now.

• Like 3

Hi all, just follow Tony Montanes guide , 100%  Can take cuttings  up to  when you want just take a little longer. I put mine under a T5 in a tupper ware box wrapped in clin filim leave for 10 days or so, give them a waft of fresh air keep your eye on them for the next week . Job done ,Roots Galore:hippy:

• Like 2