upgrading an old pc

ratdog

3 hours ago, unity said:

What's the model of the card mate, post up and we'll link you a driver :yep:

it's this one mate

Creative Blaster Audigy Fx 5.1 PCIe Sound Card with SBX Pro Studio

downloaded the file saddam suggested but i don't understand it lol and did the same for mugwffins and that hasn't worked, music sounds fine, but video is seriously impaired and sounds shit, i think it's either the computer full of shit, incompatible sound card or interference, is that a possibility?

what else should i try?  a full reinstallation is something i've never done but willing to try, how do i back up my windows 10?

thanks for your patience lol

e2a, i went into settings and removed the card and then played video and sound and playback was perfect! no that's enough of this shit or i'll be here all night, off to lie down with a glass of wine.

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ratdog said:

i just tried to reply and my pc booted me out of uk420 and made me sign back in, that's NEVER happened before lol

i'm guessing it's the computer and it's full of shit?

the card does sound fine with slow music

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/ give it a scan with that . and rid of anything bad . 100%  safe to use bud, just use the free 1

Edited by jok3r
  • Like 2

May not be an issue with the sound card driver software, may be an issue with the video driver software conflicting with the new sound drivers, so you need to upgrade the video drivers too ? :unsure:

Or some shit like that :headpain:

Sorry.

lol This is one of the reasons I gave up on building/upgrading PCs, all the fucking incompatibibility issues with the drivers and shit :headpain:

I literally threw one out of the window in a rage in a manic mood, after the fucking thing had been taking the piss all fucking weekend lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ratdog said:

downloaded the file saddam suggested but i don't understand it lol 

You installed it and went through setup wizard? Then select asio4all as an audio device in your soundcard software settings, or dl realtek audio manager and select asio4all in that if you don't already have software. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jok3r said:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/ give it a scan with that . and rid of anything bad . 100%  safe to use bud, just use the free 1

i have that already mate but will run it again, i haven't used this pc for a couple of months so the bloody thing was doing a massive update yesterday too

thanks for your help :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Boojum said:

May not be an issue with the sound card driver software, may be an issue with the video driver software conflicting with the new sound drivers, so you need to upgrade the video drivers too ? :unsure:

Or some shit like that :headpain:

Sorry.

lol This is one of the reasons I gave up on building/upgrading PCs, all the fucking incompatibibility issues with the drivers and shit :headpain:

I literally threw one out of the window in a rage in a manic mood, after the fucking thing had been taking the piss all fucking weekend lol

i have a really good little pc shop around the corner and until the pandemic they have been amazing, build you a cheap tower and it's been trouble free until the sound went on the second. so i have never really messed with them before, i have swapped hardware but not much.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Saddam said:

You installed it and went through setup wizard? Then select asio4all as an audio device in your soundcard software settings, or dl realtek audio manager and select asio4all in that if you don't already have software. 

yes, i will have another look, tbh it was all so over whelming yesterday and the bloody thing was updating for ages and it was getting into my chill time, i can't concentrate in the evenings. :) thanks

• Like 2

Sound drivers are a pain in the arse wi auld gear an newer versions o windows seen me havin to use drivers from vista to get sound on old lappys runnin win7/10

Hardware is usually easy software to make said hardware work properly is a different story lol

E2A I remember hacking graphics drivers once to get an old lappy wi an amd graphics card to work once lol 

Edited by McHazy
  • Like 2

i spent a while trying to find the bloody thing and reconnect it but couldn't so reran the software disc and as if by magic it's working perfectly atm, playing video clear and unbuffered and sounds great, fuck knows what i did or if @Saddam's software did the trick, i really couldn't say but this is great. i hope later when i sit down to watch something it doesn't start fucking about again

thank you for all the advice and patience, i'm not the easiest to talk to computers about lol:)

ps, i may be back later lol

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, ratdog said:

the bloody thing was doing a massive update yesterday too

You might find that windows updated the driver for you wi the update ;)

more likely @Saddam's software tho :yep:lol

Edited by McHazy
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, McHazy said:

You might find that windows updated the driver for you wi the update

i don't think so because it was playing up after that, but this morning it did ask if i wanted to update drivers from the net, so i clicked that, and now it works so must have been that time?

i have't a fucking clue, i would like to learn more but i just glaze over so fast with this stuff. i used to have a mate who would talk to my brother about music programs for hours, i would just get stoned and drift off, my that was some fucking dry or pretentious conversation, i'm not clever enough to tell you which lol

• Like 1

Gotta admit these days I just log intae steam an use the driver app on there usually picks everything up an am usin what would generously be termed "auld shite" lol 

Tho if I update my sound drivers they stop workin and I only get sound through the hdmi :g:lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McHazy said:

Tho if I update my sound drivers they stop workin and I only get sound through the hdmi

maybe that's what happened here? i just lost sound through both ports but hdmi was working.

i do like this new sound card though, much ballsier and i can play around with the sound too. so it's £40 well spent for now lol

• Like 1

Good stuff , Gremlins maybe .

This morning I touched my keyboard accidentally when I was typing with the on screen square , and it worked again . It's ten times faster . I'd have abbreviated that last week . 

• Like 2